Rebuilding on the cheap...

Old July 24th 05, 07:01 PM

Default Rebuilding on the cheap...

I have a MTB project I'm doing in which I am trying to use what spares
are in my parts box, existing bike parts and trying to do everything as
simply and cheaply as possible.

With that background, here we go:

I have an old LX triple Biopace crankset, 48-38-28. I have a newer
FD-M580 LX front derailleur. Now, the learned among you will know what
my problem is immediately, but to you others, I have a problem that
needs solving. Seems that a ten-tooth spacing is no good with this FD,
as the inner cage hangs on the middle chainring when the thing is
mounted the proper distance away from the big ring's tallest teeth
(Biopace, the added complication)

Supposedly, I need twelve-tooth spacing from big-to-middle. My idea
was to spend some small amount of money and purchase a Sugino 36-tooth
middle ring. Please, you gurus out there - will this be the easy
fix-it I'm praying for?

Thanks,

E.P.

Old July 24th 05, 08:24 PM

Or...

Purchase a 110 BCD 50t big ring???

I guess the real tech question is - will a twelve-tooth difference in
the big/middle ring allow the use of the LX FD I have?

Thanks again,

E.P.

Cheap advertising? Perhaps. [email protected] Recumbent Biking 1 February 2nd 05 04:57 PM
About cheap unicycles! uni_ok Unicycling 5 July 15th 04 06:57 AM
How best to improve a cheap bike? Pyromancer UK 11 May 21st 04 02:56 PM
Cheap titanium frames Pete Biggs UK 5 August 30th 03 11:09 PM
Cheap Gas=Unnatural Capitalism DurangoKid General 1 July 24th 03 04:38 PM