How to choose indoor cycling machines?

Old January 6th 04, 01:24 PM
Arthur Clune

Default How to choose indoor cycling machines?

Ian G Batten wrote:
: In article ,
: Tony Raven wrote:
: Does anyone remember that Essex teacher doing a "world tour" on his static
: cycle.

: I seem to recall that either Hess or Speer did something similar,
: counting the laps of the Spandau exercise yard as they walked.

At least they had the good excuse of men with guns stopping them
just going for a ride!

Arthur

--
Arthur Clune http://www.clune.org
- Paulina Borsook
Old January 6th 04, 01:26 PM
Arthur Clune

Simon Brooke wrote:

: I really can't see the point of static cycles, rowing machines, etc. I

I have a turbo and use it sometimes. Basically I use it in one of
two circumstances between January and March only.

1) Icy weather. I still commute in icy weather mind since it's usually
ok in town

2) I want to train but only have a very short period of time. You can
do a decent session in 40 mins on a turbo. You can't do that on the
road.

This tends to mean I use it about once every two weeks for three months
of the year. Seems ok to me.

Arthur

Old January 6th 04, 06:11 PM
Peter B

"Tony Raven" wrote in message

Does anyone remember that Essex teacher doing a "world tour" on his static
cycle.

I prefer to forget sad events ;-)

Pete

Old January 6th 04, 09:14 PM
Jon Martin

Simon Brooke was sufficiently re-animated to talk about How to choose
indoor cycling machines?
"DT" writes:

What are the main considerations for selection of indoor cycling machines.
I see there are two main groups 1) flywheel type and 2) magnetic drive
types?

I really can't see the point of static cycles, rowing machines, etc. I
mean, sitting in a room doing work to achieve nothing (or to make an
unpleasant noise) seems to me to be the epitome of pointlessness. If
you want exercise, get out on your bike and go somewhere.

So your lungs don't react like mine, which fill up with lovely uccky
stuff if I try to cycle anything below 8-10'C.... With a trainer I can
start again late next spring with something in my legs

Cheers,
Jon

--
Why does everything nice I buy at the moment keep @##*%ing breaking?
NOT!! nospam=defblade
Old January 6th 04, 10:37 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Tue, 6 Jan 2004 21:14:13 +0000, Jon Martin
wrote:

So your lungs don't react like mine, which fill up with lovely uccky
stuff if I try to cycle anything below 8-10'C.

Mine do. I take salbutamol and keep riding.

Guy
===
http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk
Old January 7th 04, 09:55 AM
Dave Larrington

Simon Brooke wrote:

I really can't see the point of static cycles, rowing machines, etc. I
mean, sitting in a room doing work to achieve nothing (or to make an
unpleasant noise) seems to me to be the epitome of pointlessness. If
you want exercise, get out on your bike and go somewhere.

When it's dark, when it's raining, when there's ice or snow on the ground,
when it's several miles to the edge of town, when you want to ride your race
bike for training purposes but can't take it anywhere on the road as it has
no provision for lights, mudguards or carrying anything as useful as a
toolkit, pump, jacket, keys, money, etc. etc. Plus you can listen to
rock'n'roll at brain-melting volume without having to worrry about not
hearing the approaching bus.

It's still boring, though.

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/