Mountain Bikers' New Year's Resolution: Start Telling the Truth!

Old December 31st 06, 08:02 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
JD

Default Too bad Mike Vandman can't answer the tough questions...

Michael Halliwell wrote:
pete fagerlin wrote:

Michael Halliwell wrote:

Gee Mike....

It's too bad that you're just another ****ing idiot.

Message-Create filter from message-delete messages from

Bye!

Gee Pete....

Lovely response...are you always so well mannered?

Too bad you don't seem to want to have a little more ammo for when
Vandeman comes after your trails.Your loss.

Michael Halliwell

If you think arguing with an ineffective psycho like vandamnan is
something that will save access for mountain bikers anywhere, you are
even more of a dumbass than any of us thought to begin with.

JD

Old December 31st 06, 03:07 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
S Curtiss

Default Mountain Bikers' New Year's Resolution: Start Telling the Truth!

"Mike Vandeman" wrote in message
. ..
The Impacts of Mountain Biking on Wildlife and People --
A Review of the Literature
Michael J. Vandeman, Ph.D.
July 3, 2004

This...? Again...?
All you have is a persistent insistence that your OPINIONS supercede all
other information and research. You have yet to provide any other peer
comment or review on these opinions. You have yet to provide anything
beyond
your OPINION of mountain biking to substantiate your claims. Your OPINIONS
continue to run counter to established and defined concepts. You use your
OPINIONS to measure all data.
It is no wonder REAL experts, REAL scientists

You wouldn't know a real scientist if he bit you in the ass. The fact
is, no real scientist has found any flaw in my paper yet! (Hint:
because there aren't any.)

Then give the NAMES of those who endorse your OPINIONS and presentations.
Give the names of those who have heard you speak and commented directly on
what YOU have said.
If you can't produce, then you are simply claiming credibility by
association. You are simply stating "because I say so" which is
unnacceptable both on an ethical and scientific platform.
It is OBVIOUS you have not formed your OPINIONS through the process of
actual research. You have fabricated research BECAUSE of your opinions. You
have taken others' work out of context, ignored their conclusions and
reinterpreted their findings using your OPINIONS as a gauge of any and all
information they have developed. You have done NO actual research beyond
regurgitating what others have done through the filter of your own viewpoint
in an effort to give foundation to your OPINIONS.
Your PhD does not give you creative license on a scientific level and your
attempts to slander me or any other individual that points out the flaws of
your OPINIONS by calling us names or eluding to our intelligence is simple
misdirection away from your own lack of credibility.

and REAL people with a REAL
concept of reality and information are able to see beyond your nonsense
and
proceed with REAL solutions.

===

Old December 31st 06, 05:27 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman

On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 10:07:53 -0500, "S Curtiss"
wrote:

[...]

Irrelevant. If you can't find anything specifically wrong with what I
said, then you are in the same boat: you have to admit that you can't
find anything I said that is actually WRONG! Vague generalities are
meaningless and don't cut it. QED

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
Old December 31st 06, 06:14 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Michael Halliwell

JD wrote:

Michael Halliwell wrote:

pete fagerlin wrote:

Michael Halliwell wrote:

Gee Mike....

It's too bad that you're just another ****ing idiot. Message-Create filter from message-delete messages from Bye!

Gee Pete.... Lovely response...are you always so well mannered? Too bad you don't seem to want to have a little more ammo for when Vandeman comes after your trails.Your loss. Michael Halliwell

If you think arguing with an ineffective psycho like vandamnan is something that will save access for mountain bikers anywhere, you are even more of a dumbass than any of us thought to begin with. JD

No....I know I will never change Vandeman's mind and that he is an "ineffective psycho" like you say....but for when he turns up at a land managers meeting, I thought I would at least float a little bit of info out there. A couple counter arguements to his claims on a scientific basis (not just "he's an 'ineffective psycho'") might be useful.

At least I'm posting information to this newsgroup, not flames (a la Liberator), claiming to be some saint of the wilderness (Dolan) or claiming that I am the be all and end all of environmental knowledge on mountain biking (Vandeman)....

Michael Halliwell
Old December 31st 06, 07:54 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
JP

Default More Vande-Garbage, can't he get it right?

"Mike Vandeman" wrote in message
Irrelevant. If you can't find anything specifically wrong with what I
said, then you are in the same boat: you have to admit that you can't
find anything I said that is actually WRONG! Vague generalities are
meaningless and don't cut it. QED

Specifics have been pointed out to you in the past.
But you "yawn."
Your opinionated psuedo-science is a poorly disguised rant.
When will you tell the TRUTH????

Probably never. LIARs never do.

Old December 31st 06, 08:40 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
S Curtiss

wrote:

"Mike Vandeman" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Your choice to be ignorant of past discussions (Google search "vandeman") is
yours to make and does nothing but further decay your own statements.

Old December 31st 06, 10:37 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Jeff Strickland

"Mike Vandeman" wrote in message
On Fri, 29 Dec 2006 19:58:21 GMT, Michael Halliwell
wrote:

Gee Mike....

You didn't answer my question the last time you tried posting this
opinion paper.....here, let me paraphrase where we left off (and this is
just on Wilson and Seney):

In early December 2006 on alt.mountain-bike I posted...

Don't YOU read the reports you claim are "junk science"? Or maybe you are
intentionally leaving out the full quote of Wilson and Seney:

"The initial regression results were not very encouraging in that none of
the
relationships between water runoff and soil texture, slope, antecedent
soil
moisture, trail roughness, and soil resistance was statistically
significant.

The switch to multiple regression and the inclusion of soil texture as a
series
of indicator variables improved the model performance."

But not enough to make the measure of erosion VALID: " Water run-off
(9%) was one of three variables that made smaller contributions." 9%
is too small to validate the measure.

and later when discussing the multiple regression model:

".ten independent variables and cross-products combined to explain 70% of
the
variability in sediment yield. Treating the cumulative contributions of
the
different variables to the final result as a rough guide to their
contributions
confirmed that soil texture (37%), slope (35%) and user treatment (35%)
had the
most impact. Water run-off (9%) was one of three variables that made
smaller
contributions."

Or did the fact that it was the initial model that had the poor fit and
didn't
account for slope, etc. which was corrected by using a different model
escape you?

Nope. The measure of erosion is STILL not valid. It wasn't
"corrected". It was only "improved". 9% is still a very poor
performance.

Michael J. Vandeman replied:

If water run-off had only a 9% correlation with the measure of
erosion, it was obviously NOT a valid measure of erosion. QED

To which I replied:

You have no research (including of your own) to prove this

assertation.

My Ph.D., you forgot, is in PSYCHOMETRICS.

Psycho. That explains alot.

Your "research" is anacdotal at best. Pure mathematics says your theories
are full of ****. If one applied mathematics to the trail system as a ratio
of the total environment through which the trails pass, then multiplied the
result IN YOUR FAVOR by a factor of 100, the result says that if you were
100% accurate in EVERYTHING you say, the maximum impact to the environment
would be about 0.04% of trails would have an adverse impact on plant and
animal species, and that number would include the entire trail, not just the
tiny fraction of which is actually damaged to the point of causing adverse
affect. Surely, of the 0.04% of impact, a considerable amount of that impact
would result from multiple use, NOT just mountain biking activities. Take
out the impacts of multiple use and consider solely mountain bikes, and you
have an environmental impact that should it be mitigated fully and
completely, would not present habitat preservation in any significant
amount. In an entire state park or forest, you _might_ save a space that is
equivelent to the size of my residential property (about 7500 sq. ft.). When
the park or forest is measured in hundreds, thousands, of square acres,
saving 7500 sq. ft. is not statistically significant.

Psycho. That's you ...

Old December 31st 06, 10:39 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Jeff Strickland

"S Curtiss" wrote in message

[...]

I'll take one name. One.

Mike, why doesn't the Sierra Club endorse your agenda anymore?

Old January 1st 07, 12:30 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment

On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 19:54:56 GMT, "JP" wrote:

"Mike Vandeman" wrote in message
.. .
Irrelevant. If you can't find anything specifically wrong with what I
said, then you are in the same boat: you have to admit that you can't
find anything I said that is actually WRONG! Vague generalities are
meaningless and don't cut it. QED

Specifics have been pointed out to you in the past.
But you "yawn."
Your opinionated psuedo-science is a poorly disguised rant.
When will you tell the TRUTH????

Probably never. LIARs never do.

Many mountain bikers rank right their with their lat-assed fellow
abusers of the outdoors; ATV's dorks,snowmobilers,etc. Hats off to
those that stick to designated trails; piano wire for those that
don't.

Max