Mountain Biking is Being presented as a Healthy Sport for Kids!

Old June 28th 09, 05:41 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman

Default Mountain Biking is Being presented as a Healthy Sport for Kids!

http://diy.despair.com/output/poster4291481.jpg

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
Old June 28th 09, 12:14 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Kayak44

Default Lonely Pseudo-Environmentalist Lives Life Of Misery.

On Jun 28, 12:41*am, Mike Vandeman wrote:
http://diy.despair.com/output/poster4291481.jpg

He's so jealous of the fun others have he has to belittle and mock
them. No wonder his first wife left him.
Old June 29th 09, 03:40 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Opus[_2_]

On Jun 28, 4:41 am, Mike Vandeman wrote:
http://diy.despair.com/output/poster4291481.jpg

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

You do know that is a parody of a motivational poster, right?
Old June 30th 09, 03:41 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Tom Sherman °_°

Opus the Poet wrote:
On Jun 28, 4:41 am, Mike Vandeman wrote:
http://diy.despair.com/output/poster4291481.jpg

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

You do know that is a parody of a motivational poster, right?

Mikey V. is a parody of a real environmentalist.

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.
Old July 1st 09, 03:54 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman

On Mon, 29 Jun 2009 07:40:50 -0700 (PDT), Opus
wrote:

On Jun 28, 4:41 am, Mike Vandeman wrote:
http://diy.despair.com/output/poster4291481.jpg

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

You do know that is a parody of a motivational poster, right?

Of course, but the broken collarbone is real.

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
Old July 1st 09, 02:42 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Opus[_2_]

On Jul 1, 2:54 am, Mike Vandeman wrote:

You do know that is a parody of a motivational poster, right?

Of course, but the broken collarbone is real.

But there's nothing to say where that broken collarbone came from. My
elder daughter (the one getting married this weekend) broke her
collarbone on a swing set at her elementary school when she was in 5th
grade. Should we then remove all swing sets from all schools because
one had a structural failure and caused my daughter a painful injury?
No, that would be stupid. The leading cause of death for humans under
21 is motor vehicle wrecks, should we ban motor vehicles because of
that? No, there are many more reasons to ban motor vehicles than just
killing people under the age of 21, but we still have them.

Bicycles are good exercise, and MTB gets people away from the primary
cause of death when riding, the motor vehicle. Quit trying to get them
banned and instead work on something much worse, motor vehicles. Motor
vehicles are like a war zone in the middle of the transportation grid,
and more people are killed by them than are killed in all the armed
conflicts world-wide every year. The US has been averaging 41,000
deaths by motor vehicle wrecks alone every year since 1999. In 2007
(latest year for which statistics are available) just shy of 700
people were killed riding bicycles, and of that number less than a
dozen were wrecks without the involvement of at least one motor
vehicle. Very few bicycle on bicycle or single vehicle bicycle wrecks
are fatal.

I'll give you another number, bullet wounds average less than a 10%
fatality rate. Depending on speed motor vehicles kill at a rate of 20%
at 20 MPH to 99.999% at 60 MPH. In plain terms, cars are more fatal
than guns, even when someone is trying to kill someone else with the
gun. Even when someone gets hit by a gun shot, unless the bullet is
precisely placed it has a very low likelihood of causing death or even
permanent injury, but getting hit by a car at 30 MPH has a 85% chance
of death, a 10% chance of permanent injury, or 5% of recovery from
injury without permanent effects. The truck that hit me was doing
about 65 MPH...
Old July 2nd 09, 07:55 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
runcyclexcski

Depending on speed motor vehicles kill at a rate of 20%
at 20 MPH to 99.999% at 60 MPH.

Source? I know at least 4 people who got into an accident at ~60 mph
and all walked away w/o a scratch. at 99.999 probability the chance of
me seeing this even would be 0.0001 power 4 which is very unlikely.
Old July 3rd 09, 03:29 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman

On Wed, 1 Jul 2009 06:42:59 -0700 (PDT), Opus
wrote:

On Jul 1, 2:54 am, Mike Vandeman wrote:

You do know that is a parody of a motivational poster, right?

Of course, but the broken collarbone is real.

But there's nothing to say where that broken collarbone came from.

It came from a mountain biking accident, obviously.

My
elder daughter (the one getting married this weekend) broke her
collarbone on a swing set at her elementary school when she was in 5th
grade. Should we then remove all swing sets from all schools because
one had a structural failure and caused my daughter a painful injury?

Yes, ban the faulty ones, of course.

No, that would be stupid. The leading cause of death for humans under
21 is motor vehicle wrecks, should we ban motor vehicles because of
that?

Yes, of course.

No, there are many more reasons to ban motor vehicles than just
killing people under the age of 21, but we still have them.

Bicycles are good exercise, and MTB gets people away from the primary
cause of death when riding, the motor vehicle.

Walking can do that, without the risks that go with mountain biking.

Quit trying to get them
banned and instead work on something much worse, motor vehicles.

Plenty of people are workng on that. There is absolutely no good
reason to allow bikes in natural areas. They just don't belong there.

Motor
vehicles are like a war zone in the middle of the transportation grid,
and more people are killed by them than are killed in all the armed
conflicts world-wide every year. The US has been averaging 41,000
deaths by motor vehicle wrecks alone every year since 1999. In 2007
(latest year for which statistics are available) just shy of 700
people were killed riding bicycles, and of that number less than a
dozen were wrecks without the involvement of at least one motor
vehicle. Very few bicycle on bicycle or single vehicle bicycle wrecks
are fatal.

MANY mountain biking accidents are fatal! See
http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande/mtb160.

I'll give you another number, bullet wounds average less than a 10%
fatality rate. Depending on speed motor vehicles kill at a rate of 20%
at 20 MPH to 99.999% at 60 MPH. In plain terms, cars are more fatal
than guns, even when someone is trying to kill someone else with the
gun. Even when someone gets hit by a gun shot, unless the bullet is
precisely placed it has a very low likelihood of causing death or even
permanent injury, but getting hit by a car at 30 MPH has a 85% chance
of death, a 10% chance of permanent injury, or 5% of recovery from
injury without permanent effects. The truck that hit me was doing
about 65 MPH...

So what? That doesn't make mountain biking safe! Your logic is
specious.

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
Old July 3rd 09, 05:48 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Opus[_2_]

On Jul 2, 6:55 pm, runcyclexcski wrote:
Depending on speed motor vehicles kill at a rate of 20%
at 20 MPH to 99.999% at 60 MPH.

Source? I know at least 4 people who got into an accident at ~60 mph
and all walked away w/o a scratch. at 99.999 probability the chance of
me seeing this even would be 0.0001 power 4 which is very unlikely.

NHTSA wrecks against pedestrians and pedacyclists, injuries and
fatalities broken down by speed at impact. It was available as a PDF
but the URL doesn't work any more. The fatality rate at lower speeds
has a lot of noise because of the variability of the wrecks and the
victims, but above 20 MPH the noise goes away. I don't know anyone
that can "walk away" from being hit with a car or truck at 60 MPH
without a car surrounding them. I was lucky to get away with all my
limbs still attached and only minor brain damage.

I was comparing apples to apples in fatality rates compared to
bullets. Not many people are shot while inside another bullet. A few
are shot in cars, but not enough to draw a statistical conclusion
about the event. Lots of people are hit by cars while riding bikes or
walking. So I wasn't comparing where the car hit another car with a
person inside of it but where the car actually hit the person
directly, well actually somebody else in the government did it for me.

One of the things I found fascinating was the breakdown of fatality by
caliber and style of bullet, the most fatal round was the .22 Long
Rifle hollow point, followed distantly by the .44 Magnum. Apparently
the .22 allowed precise placement of the bullet to do the most damage,
and the .44 left such a big hole that blood loss was the major fatal
mode. Motor vehicles major fatal mode was massive blunt force trauma
to the torso, followed by head injury.
Old July 3rd 09, 10:24 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman

wrote:

On Jul 1, 2:54 am, Mike Vandeman wrote:

You do know that is a parody of a motivational poster, right?

Of course, but the broken collarbone is real.

But there's nothing to say where that broken collarbone came from. My
elder daughter (the one getting married this weekend) broke her
collarbone on a swing set at her elementary school when she was in 5th
grade. Should we then remove all swing sets from all schools because
one had a structural failure and caused my daughter a painful injury?
No, that would be stupid. The leading cause of death for humans under
21 is motor vehicle wrecks, should we ban motor vehicles because of
that? No, there are many more reasons to ban motor vehicles than just
killing people under the age of 21, but we still have them.

What are YOU doing about that problem? I spent 8 years on it. Mountain
bikers complain about motor vehicles, but instead of working on
getting rid of them, they join in & use one to carry their bikes to
the trailhead. What hypocrisy!

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande