Derailleur specs: "GS"?

Old September 15th 09, 06:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,alt.mountain-bike
Gone Fishin'

Default Derailleur specs: "GS"?

A Shimano rear derailleur lists its capacity as:

Total Capacity 42T(GS)

What does "GS" mean?

Thanks.

Old September 15th 09, 06:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,alt.mountain-bike
Mike Jacoubowsky

"Gone Fishin'" wrote in message
A Shimano rear derailleur lists its capacity as:

Total Capacity 42T(GS)

What does "GS" mean?

Thanks.

GS= Long cage
SGS= Really long cage

The idea being that, the longer the cage, the more chain capacity the
derailleur can handle.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old September 15th 09, 06:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,alt.mountain-bike
Hank

On Sep 14, 10:20*pm, Gone Fishin' wrote:
A Shimano rear derailleur lists its capacity as:

* * *Total Capacity 42T(GS)

What does "GS" mean?

Thanks.

GS=mid-length cage.

SS=short cage
SGS=long cage
Old September 15th 09, 07:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,alt.mountain-bike
Gone Fishin'

Thanks. Now enlightened.

Old September 20th 09, 06:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,alt.mountain-bike
Gone Fishin'

How does one know if it's a GS, SS, or SGS? Is this printed anywhere on the
mech?

Thanks.

Old September 20th 09, 07:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,alt.mountain-bike
someone

On 20 Sep, 06:57, Gone Fishin' wrote:
How does one know if it's a GS, SS, or SGS? Is this printed anywhere on the
mech?

Thanks.

have a look for an impression on the face of the inner parallelogram
arm(towards the spokes). If you find it, the whole model code will be
there.
Old September 20th 09, 09:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,alt.mountain-bike
AMuzi

Gone Fishin' wrote:
How does one know if it's a GS, SS, or SGS? Is this printed anywhere on the
mech?

Shimano changers have a part number (RD-something) on the
back side of the body

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old September 20th 09, 10:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,alt.mountain-bike
Lou Holtman[_3_]

AMuzi schreef:
Gone Fishin' wrote:
How does one know if it's a GS, SS, or SGS? Is this printed anywhere
on the mech?

Shimano changers have a part number (RD-something) on the back side of
the body

Correct but SG or SGS is not on it. I just checked my spare LX one. Why
not measure the distance between the pulleys? If it is 100 mm it is SGS.

Lou
Old September 21st 09, 05:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,alt.mountain-bike
Gone Fishin'

Correct but SG or SGS is not on it. I just checked my spare LX one. Why
not measure the distance between the pulleys? If it is 100 mm it is SGS.

Lou

That's a center-to-center measurement between pulley "axles"?

Someone offered me a M952 SGS (or so he says it is SGS) which he says
measures 87 mm.

Thanks.