Aussie cyclists are no better

Old March 20th 13, 02:30 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mentalguy2k8[_2_]

Default Aussie cyclists are no better

Yet another psycholist trying to shave 60 seconds off his commute endangers
life, attacks a pedestrian from behind and pedals off before his victim gets
up again. Truly vile cowards.

"Cyclists save one or two minutes cutting through the park - the risk to
pedestrians does not warrant it,"

"Cr Virginia Bevan called for cyclists to be registered so they could be
tracked and fined for breaching road rules."

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/new...-1226596893793

CYCLISTS may be banned from rat-running through St Leonards Park in North
Sydney after councillors witnessed a rider "aggressively" shove a resident,
knocking him to the ground.

The alleged attack, which left the victim with cuts and bruises, occurred
while he was walking his dog along the shared-user path about 6pm on
Tuesday, February 26.

Councillors and staff were inspecting the shared cycle/ pedestrian pathway
as part of a proposed upgrade at the time.

"A very aggressive cyclist came towards me at high speed and yelled 'get out
of the way' before he swerved to miss me," the victim, who wished to remain
anonymous, said.

"I heard footsteps running behind me, then a massive shove in the back...I
fell head first while the cyclist continued to abuse me, he said 'next time
I'll kill you'."

The incident, which was reported to police, has prompted other park users to
come forward with complaints about commuter cyclists travelling at high
speeds, intimidating pedestrians and even kicking dogs.

"Safety is deteriorating on the footpath, I've been abused and threatened -
keep paths for pedestrians," Kirribilli resident Graeme Morcom told the
March 4 council meeting.

North Sydney Mayor Jilly Gibson suggested cyclists be made to ride around
the park via Falcon, Miller and Ridge streets.

"The park is for people - cycling is a great form of green travel but so is
walking," she said.

"Cyclists save one or two minutes cutting through the park - the risk to
pedestrians does not warrant it," she said.

Cr Virginia Bevan called for cyclists to be registered so they could be
tracked and fined for breaching road rules.

But bike riders said they were the real victims of road rage with more
cyclists killed by motor vehicles each year than pedestrians injured by
riders.

"The behaviour exhibited by this one cyclist is not typical of behaviour
exhibited by all riders - the best outcome is to have two paths separating
cyclists and pedestrians," Bicycle NSW representative Caroline New said.

Council rangers have been carrying out extra patrols in St Leonards Park
during peak periods over the past two weeks.

Old March 20th 13, 02:40 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Weissel

On 20/03/2013 14:30, Mentalguy2k8 wrote:
Yet another psycholist trying to shave 60 seconds off his commute
endangers life, attacks a pedestrian from behind and pedals off before
his victim gets up again. Truly vile cowards.

"Cyclists save one or two minutes cutting through the park - the risk to
pedestrians does not warrant it,"

"Cr Virginia Bevan called for cyclists to be registered so they could be
tracked and fined for breaching road rules."

[...]

Shared paths don’t work.

They should either allow footpath cycling and limit speeds to about 5mph
or ban footpath cycling altogether.

Bikes should be on the road where it is safer for everyone, where they
also act as a natural form of traffic calming.

Old March 20th 13, 02:42 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mrcheerful[_3_]

Mentalguy2k8 wrote:
[...]

to pedestrians does not warrant it," she said.

Cr Virginia Bevan called for cyclists to be registered so they could
be tracked and fined for breaching road rules.

But bike riders said they were the real victims of road rage with more
cyclists killed by motor vehicles each year than pedestrians injured
by riders.

"The behaviour exhibited by this one cyclist is not typical of
behaviour exhibited by all riders - the best outcome is to have two
paths separating cyclists and pedestrians," Bicycle NSW
representative Caroline New said.
Council rangers have been carrying out extra patrols in St Leonards
Park during peak periods over the past two weeks.

It is the mode of transport, it makes people into aggressive loonies, or
perhaps aggresive loonies pick cycling.

Old March 20th 13, 02:47 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mentalguy2k8[_2_]

"Simon Weissel" wrote in message
On 20/03/2013 14:30, Mentalguy2k8 wrote:
Yet another psycholist trying to shave 60 seconds off his commute
endangers life, attacks a pedestrian from behind and pedals off before
his victim gets up again. Truly vile cowards.

"Cyclists save one or two minutes cutting through the park - the risk to
pedestrians does not warrant it,"

"Cr Virginia Bevan called for cyclists to be registered so they could be
tracked and fined for breaching road rules."

[...]

Shared paths don’t work.

They should either allow footpath cycling and limit speeds to about 5mph
or ban footpath cycling altogether.

Bikes should be on the road where it is safer for everyone, where they
also act as a natural form of traffic calming.

Because they're in the way.

Old March 20th 13, 04:13 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 20/03/2013 14:30, Mentalguy2k8 wrote:

The alleged attack, which left the victim with cuts and bruises,
occurred while he was walking his dog along the shared-user path about
6pm on Tuesday, February 26.

"A very aggressive cyclist came towards me at high speed and yelled 'get
out of the way' before he swerved to miss me," the victim, who wished to
remain anonymous, said.
"I heard footsteps running behind me, then a massive shove in the
back...I fell head first while the cyclist continued to abuse me, he
said 'next time I'll kill you'." ...

But *bike riders* said they were the real victims of road rage with more
cyclists killed by motor vehicles each year than pedestrians injured by
riders...

....as though that (whether true or not) was of the slightest relevance.

Old March 20th 13, 04:14 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 20/03/2013 14:40, Simon Weissel wrote:
On 20/03/2013 14:30, Mentalguy2k8 wrote:
Yet another psycholist trying to shave 60 seconds off his commute
endangers life, attacks a pedestrian from behind and pedals off before
his victim gets up again. Truly vile cowards.

"Cyclists save one or two minutes cutting through the park - the risk to
pedestrians does not warrant it,"

"Cr Virginia Bevan called for cyclists to be registered so they could be
tracked and fined for breaching road rules."

[...]

Shared paths don’t work.

They should either allow footpath cycling and limit speeds to about 5mph
or ban footpath cycling altogether.

Bikes should be on the road where it is safer for everyone, where they
also act as a natural form of traffic calming.

But let's hope that they don't end up acting sleeping policemen too often.
Old March 20th 13, 04:20 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Major Scott

On Wed, 20 Mar 2013 14:30:19 -0000, Mentalguy2k8 wrote:

[...]

The problem is the pedestrians that won't move to the side. Someone has to avoid the other one, and it is far easier for a pedestrian to sidestep to allow them past, than for the cyclist to swerve onto some grass.

--
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - US Marines
Old March 20th 13, 05:41 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Weissel

On 20/03/2013 14:47, Mentalguy2k8 wrote:

"Simon Weissel" wrote in message
On 20/03/2013 14:30, Mentalguy2k8 wrote:
Yet another psycholist trying to shave 60 seconds off his commute
endangers life, attacks a pedestrian from behind and pedals off before
his victim gets up again. Truly vile cowards.

"Cyclists save one or two minutes cutting through the park - the risk to
pedestrians does not warrant it,"

"Cr Virginia Bevan called for cyclists to be registered so they could be
tracked and fined for breaching road rules."

[...]

Shared paths don’t work.

They should either allow footpath cycling and limit speeds to about
5mph or ban footpath cycling altogether.

Bikes should be on the road where it is safer for everyone, where they
also act as a natural form of traffic calming.

Because they're in the way.

Pretty much so. You can’t have it both ways. Well, you can bleat online
about it but that’s about it.
Old March 20th 13, 05:42 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Weissel

On 20/03/2013 14:42, Mrcheerful wrote:

It is the mode of transport, it makes people into aggressive loonies, or
perhaps aggresive loonies pick cycling.

It’s all one great conspiracy against good, God fearing people.
Old March 20th 13, 05:44 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Weissel

On 20/03/2013 16:20, Major Scott wrote:

The problem is the pedestrians that won't move to the side. Someone has
to avoid the other one, and it is far easier for a pedestrian to
sidestep to allow them past, than for the cyclist to swerve onto some
grass.

Pedestrians amble and wander all over the place. They only stay off the
roads due to the threat of ****s in cars running them over.