How Ed Dolan and Mike Vandeman came to dominate their newsgroups

Old June 21st 06, 06:42 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.soc

Default How Ed Dolan and Mike Vandeman came to dominate their newsgroups

It was never my intention to dominate a newsgroup and I am sure it was not
Mike Vandeman's intention either, but yet I do dominate ARBR and Vandeman
does dominate RBS. We both stay on our own threads and do not step on other
threads, but it seems that it doesn't matter. Others simply go away and
before you know it all there is on these groups is Dolan and Vandeman. I
think both of us in our separate ways serve as a catalyst for a few others
who take us on. Our messages become increasingly contentious and finally we
are preventing others from coming onto the group. That is certainly not my
intention and I know it is not Vandeman's intention either. But what to do
about it?

I encourage others to post to these newsgroups. Vandeman and I will stay on
our own threads as we have always done. Neither of us interfere with other
threads that are not up our alley. Vandeman is far more focused than I am
and is almost a one-note Johnny. I am more far ranging but I make it a point
not to interfere with on topic messages. I would like to see both ARBR and
RBS realize their full potential. There is simply no reason for others not
to be posting to these two newsgroups.

RBM is the standard we should be going by. It is a very large newsgroup and
every idiot in the world is posting to it. It is impossible for any one
person to dominate that newsgroup. But whether a newsgroup is large or small
should not matter as long as everyone respects the threads. I repeat, I do
not step on other's threads unless they are up my alley and neither does
Vandeman. Others should feel free to post away to their heart's content on
ARBR and RBS. We can never be like RBM in size, but we can make up for it in
quality.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Old June 21st 06, 03:28 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.soc

Edward Dolan wrote:
It was never my intention to dominate a newsgroup and I am sure it was not
Mike Vandeman's intention either, but yet I do dominate ARBR and Vandeman
does dominate RBS. We both stay on our own threads and do not step on other
threads, but it seems that it doesn't matter. Others simply go away and
before you know it all there is on these groups is Dolan and Vandeman. I
think both of us in our separate ways serve as a catalyst for a few others
who take us on. Our messages become increasingly contentious and finally we
are preventing others from coming onto the group. That is certainly not my
intention and I know it is not Vandeman's intention either. But what to do
about it?

Tis a simple problem with a simpl solution ... L E A V E !!!!!

Old June 21st 06, 08:43 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.soc

"JimmyMac" wrote in message
ps.com...

Edward Dolan wrote:
[...]

Well, that is ONE possible solution, but then what would I have to do.
Besides, I add interest to what would otherwise be a very dull group. It
would not be fair to those who come to ARBR and RBS expecting some
entertainment.

Old June 22nd 06, 12:45 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.soc

"Edward Dolan" wrote in
news:QaCdncFXmoL6PATZnZ2dnUVZ_qednZ2d@prairiewave. com:

"JimmyMac" wrote in message
ps.com...

Edward Dolan wrote:
[...]

Ahhhhhhhh Blow Me.

Old June 22nd 06, 06:33 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.soc

"Edward Dolan" wrote in message
news:QaCdncFXmoL6PATZnZ2dnUVZ_qednZ2d@prairiewave. com...

"JimmyMac" wrote in message
ps.com...

Edward Dolan wrote:
[...]

Perhaps discussions of gearing, frame types, cycling routes and such is
EXACTLY what people post for. There a million sites for "entertainment". Why
read about the non-sexual proclamations of a self-absorbed individual when I
want to know what gearing I should have when visiting the Blue Ridge
Parkway?

Old June 22nd 06, 07:10 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.soc

"Edward Dolan" wrote in
news:WbmdnaKzb8RdfgfZnZ2dnUVZ_qudnZ2d@prairiewave. com:

"Chris Foster" wrote in message
05.47...
"Edward Dolan" wrote in
news:QaCdncFXmoL6PATZnZ2dnUVZ_qednZ2d@prairiewave. com:

"JimmyMac" wrote in message
ps.com...

Edward Dolan wrote:
[...]

This guy supposedly has a Ph.D. degree from the University of Illinois
in electrical engineering. Now you know why I do not reserve
unqualified respect for those with higher degrees. Jerks are jerks no
matter what!

He was also a former Marine and that now is apparently the kind of
person he has chosen to revert to for purposes of these newsgroups.
Once a grunt, always a grunt! "Semper Fi" you jar head!

I was just wondering how easy it was to under your skin.

Hardly a challenge, it was easier that I thought

Old June 22nd 06, 07:29 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.soc

"S Curtiss" wrote in message

"Edward Dolan" wrote in message
news:QaCdncFXmoL6PATZnZ2dnUVZ_qednZ2d@prairiewave. com...

"JimmyMac" wrote in message
ps.com...

Edward Dolan wrote:
[...]

Nope, I cannot believe there are any humans who are so dead that they would
limit themselves to what you propose. Either be a complete human being or be
gone! I know better than you what is good for you!

Old June 22nd 06, 09:16 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.soc

"Chris Foster" wrote in message
05.47...
"Edward Dolan" wrote in
news:WbmdnaKzb8RdfgfZnZ2dnUVZ_qudnZ2d@prairiewave. com:

[...]
Ahhhhhhhh Blow Me.

This guy supposedly has a Ph.D. degree from the University of Illinois
in electrical engineering. Now you know why I do not reserve
unqualified respect for those with higher degrees. Jerks are jerks no
matter what!

He was also a former Marine and that now is apparently the kind of
person he has chosen to revert to for purposes of these newsgroups.
Once a grunt, always a grunt! "Semper Fi" you jar head!

I was just wondering how easy it was to [get] under your skin.

Hardly a challenge, it was easier that I thought [.]

It is not possible for anyone in cyberspace to get under my skin. Everything
is tit for tat with me. That is all it is and all it can ever be. After all,
there is real life and then there is Usenet. Only a fool would confuse and
conflate the two.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

PS. By the way, you might want to learn how to edit your posts. Others on
these newsgroups have me in their kill file and that is where you will soon
be yourself if you continue to quote me in full in your every message.
Unlike you, many others simply cannot stand a little contention. They want
all to be peace and light in their universe.

PS2. I am the best editor Usenet has ever known. It comes from my
professional training as a librarian. Follow my example and you will never
go far from wrong.

Old June 23rd 06, 12:40 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.soc

"Edward Dolan" wrote in
news:S5mdnQfZj8MUZwfZnZ2dnUVZ_radnZ2d@prairiewave. com:

[...]

Conan,

You got so upset are my remarks that YOU sent a e-mail to me, here it
is:

"Edward Dolan" wrote in
news:ccqdnVmFSNiu0xXZnZ2dnUVZ_vudnZ2d@prairiewave. com:

Ahhhhh Blow Me

[...]

**** you too Chris Foster!

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Then I replied, And once again, you had a hiss fit, here it is:

John,

Do not be sending any messages to me at my email address. Whatever it is
we have to say to one another can be done on Usenet where all the world
can see it and can draw their own conclusions.

You resorted to an obscenity without any reason for doing so. Like you I
spent quite a bit of time in the military and so I know EXACTLY how to
respond to such remarks. When I get a '**** you', then you get back a
'**** you too'! It is hard to believe you have any higher degrees as you
still seem to be acting like a marine grunt.

Regards,

Ed

PS. It is OK if you want to post the above message to Usenet - and we can
carry on from there.

So, I think I did a GREAT job of getting under you skin.