stacey's mom & other embarrasments

Old July 2nd 06, 09:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default stacey's mom & other embarrasments

Recently I've been giving books on MP3 a bit of a rest in favour of
selected music tracks.

One thing about listening to music instead of books is that you [i] might
tend to start singing along. This is all well and good if you can sing and
you aren't listening to some kitschy pop tune.

But if you are....

I loaded up a collection, a pastiche, a chronological journey through the
era of rock and/or roll, and set out on an outside loop of about 60 km on
the country sideroads surrounding town.

The advantage is that on country roads no one can hear you sing - except
the odd country home with it's owner out doing yardwork as you belt out,
off-key, Woolly-Bully, Great Balls of Fire, Lion Sleeps Tonight, Smoking in
the Boy's Room. You can at least rationalize that these tunes are still
before your time.

It gets worse when you get into the late 60's 70's & 80's: Light My fire,
White Rabbit, Play that Funky Music aren't so bad.

But the Bangles' Walk Like an Egyptian? Nena's 99 Luft Ballons? Styx Mr.
Roboto?? For shame!

But then it's the 90's: Nirvana's Nevermind and Teen Spirit though I'm long
past teen by that time, Hammer time?? Dare I admit it?

Then we step into the new millennium: Christina Aguilera's, Dirty? Meredith
Brooks' I'm a Bitch? worse they are gender inappropriate for me to be
singing along aloud.

Then a piece of 'tween angst: Stacey's Mom. I don't know what is worse:
that I'm singing along to it or that Stacey's mom is now age appropriate for
me. She sure has it goin' on.

Finish off with 'The Roof is on Fire' profane but if it was good enough
for Michael Moore's Fahrenheit 9/11 I guess I can sing it aloud....

Old July 3rd 06, 09:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

"recycled-one" wrote in
:

Recently I've been giving books on MP3 a bit of a rest in favour of
selected music tracks.....

fnood fneep gnip gnop
http://greep.flood.nit

Old July 4th 06, 01:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

"Kevan Smith" wrote in message
. 170.88...
"recycled-one" wrote in
:

Recently I've been giving books on MP3 a bit of a rest in favour of
selected music tracks.....

If you consider that selection as representative of my taste in music and
tha tyours is the unassaillable standard....

Old July 4th 06, 07:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

In article . 88,
Kevan Smith writes:
"recycled-one" wrote in
:

Recently I've been giving books on MP3 a bit of a rest in favour of
selected music tracks.....

Hey, he mentioned some pretty good belter-outers.
Those can be pretty good for clearing the lungs
for more O2 (maybe that relates to the "breathing
on climbs" thread.) I can attest Little Eva's
"Locomotion" helped get me up from New Westminster's
Columbia St to Royal, and then on to 7th last week.

Willie Dixon belter-outers can be especially effective,
and it's kinda fun to let loose with a li'l Wang Dang Doodle
whilst riding through the swankier parts of town.

Y'know who else came up with some good belter-outers?
Alice Cooper. I'm told I "do" him with tribute artist
perfection. I can't do Robert Plant belter-outers though.
I don't think anyone can.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Y'putcher han' on yer hip & letcher backbone slip
Above address is just a spam midden.
Old July 4th 06, 03:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

"Tom Keats" wrote in message

Y'know who else came up with some good belter-outers?
Alice Cooper. I'm told I "do" him with tribute artist
perfection. I can't do Robert Plant belter-outers though.
I don't think anyone can.

I hadn't thought of him. 18, School's out, Welcome to my Nightmare, that
works. I also should dl some Tom Petty: Refugee, American Girl.

Old July 5th 06, 01:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

"Kevan Smith" wrote in message

May you never hear surf music again.

Hey, surf music is cool, dude. http://www.pollodelmar.com/

Old July 5th 06, 04:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

In article ,
"recycled-one" writes:

"Tom Keats" wrote in message

Y'know who else came up with some good belter-outers?
Alice Cooper. I'm told I "do" him with tribute artist
perfection. I can't do Robert Plant belter-outers though.
I don't think anyone can.

I hadn't thought of him. 18, School's out, Welcome to my Nightmare, that
works.

Also: Lost in America, Dead Babies, Under My Wheels, Hey Stoopid,
(dare I suggest Halo of Flies or Killer?) and a bunch of stuff
off his strangely unknown Flush the Fashion album -- Nuclear
Infected, Aspirin Damage, Grim Facts, Clones, Dance Yourselves
to Death, and Pain. And then there's Cold Ethyl, and Feed My
Frankenstein.

I also should dl some Tom Petty: Refugee, American Girl.

Maybe some ZZ Top from their Fandango album instead, or some
George Thorogood. Tom Petty tries, but for belter-outers,
he doesn't quite have it -- it comes out kinda whiny and nasal,
and throaty rather than diaphragmy. He's still a good artist
w/ a good band, and comes up some good tunes; I'm just saying
they're not necessarily belter-outers on the same scale as
CCR's Run Through the Jungle.

And there are some good women belter-outers that shouldn't go
unrepresented. I think I already mentioned Little Eva. There's
also Big Mama Thornton, Etta James, Koko Taylor, Janis Joplin,
Lene Lovich, and those chicks in the B-52s. Joan Jett.
Patti Smith. Suzie Quattro. Shakira. Tammy Wynette.

Sometimes I think about modifiying Gloria Estafan's "Get On Your
Feet" into a joyous Critical Mass anthem (Get On Your Bike.)
Same with Neil Young's "Downtown". Maybe one of these days I'll
get a round tuit. Or somebody else will.

I've lately noticed in passing, a number of other riders singing
their hearts out. Good on 'em, I sez. Sometimes ya just gotta.

cheers,
Tom

-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.
Old July 5th 06, 12:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

recycled-one wrote:
[...]

Embarrasing songs I have found myself singing:

"afternoon delight" - Starland Vocal Band

"Stuck in the middle with you" ? Steel Wheels ?

"Jessies Girl" - Rick Springfield

"Kiss me baby one more time"

And the list goes on and on....

Ken

--
Messengers and mountain bikers share a common chromosome. ~James Bethea
Old July 5th 06, 06:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

recycled-one wrote:
"Kevan Smith" wrote in message
. 170.88...
"recycled-one" wrote in
:

Recently I've been giving books on MP3 a bit of a rest in favour of
selected music tracks.....

If you consider that selection as representative of my taste in music and
that yours is the unassaillable standard....

I thought some of it sounded good, some of it sounded questionable.
However as someone who listens to the sounds of people using scrap metal
and building tools as instruments with screaming in German, I know
better than to throw stones.

--
Dane Buson -
"We learn from experience that men never learn
Old July 6th 06, 07:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

In article ,
Dane Buson writes:

I thought some of it sounded good, some of it sounded questionable.
However as someone who listens to the sounds of people using scrap metal
and building tools as instruments with screaming in German, I know
better than to throw stones.

While it's not of the industrial rock genre, you just
reminded me of Wire's "(A Berlin) Drill". What an
onslaught of percussion in that tune! I've gotta
reobtain it on a contemporary recording medium one of
these days. It's probably a good tune to hammer to.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.