LBS vs Dept Store

Old November 30th 07, 04:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default LBS vs Dept Store

We all have our reasons to support either
1. Local Bicycle Shop.
A. Expert Installation
B. Knowledge about what part to get.
C. Free education and training ride parking.
2. Dept Store
A Low prices
B Big Sales
C. Self Installation

We have seen various news stories about low wages in other countries
that allow department store to offer these low prices.
Long hours, low wages, factory owned housing, security guards.
Walmart, Nike, and other brands all mentioned.
Here is the latest movie along that line.

http://wwjbmovie.com/ What Would Jesus Buy (the movie).
They want you to support your local retailer of all kinds and not buy
from any chain store.
Now showing in just a few cities for a few more weeks.
DVD should be availble soon.
Old November 30th 07, 05:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 20:53:39 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

We all have our reasons to support either
1. Local Bicycle Shop.
A. Expert Installation
B. Knowledge about what part to get.
C. Free education and training ride parking.
2. Dept Store
A Low prices
B Big Sales
C. Self Installation

We have seen various news stories about low wages in other countries
that allow department store to offer these low prices.
Long hours, low wages, factory owned housing, security guards.
Walmart, Nike, and other brands all mentioned.
Here is the latest movie along that line.

http://wwjbmovie.com/ What Would Jesus Buy (the movie).
They want you to support your local retailer of all kinds and not buy
from any chain store.
Now showing in just a few cities for a few more weeks.
DVD should be available soon.

Dear Mike,

I'll look for it at the WalMart remainder bin.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old November 30th 07, 05:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Werehatrack

may have said:

We all have our reasons to support either
1. Local Bicycle Shop.
A. Expert Installation
B. Knowledge about what part to get.
C. Free education and training ride parking.

D. At least some of the money goes back into the local economy.
E. Generally doesn't sell crap.
F. Much wider selection.

2. Dept Store
A Low prices
B Big Sales
C. Self Installation

D. Open 24/7 (in some areas)

Disadvantages of each:

LBS:
A. Higher prices.
B. Not always open when I can get there.
C. May not have cheap crap when I want it.

Dept Sto
A. Much cheap crap, little quality product.
B. No advice or bad advice.
C. Very limited selection.

We have seen various news stories about low wages in other countries
that allow department store to offer these low prices.

In many instances, the increasing cost of long-distance ocean shipping
is eliminating or reducing the value of this, but it would have to be
entirely reversed for a significant period before that alone could
cause manufacturing to move back to the domestic arena. There are
additional forces at work pushing in the same direction, however, and
this is likely to happen, but the upheavals that will result from the
collective forces may make things far worse before they start to
improve.

Long hours, low wages, factory owned housing, security guards.

Google "Pullman" and read some of the history that's not published by
the town or its civic associations. What's happening overseas now is
just repeating what was going on in many places in the US in the late
19th and early 20th centuries.

Walmart, Nike, and other brands all mentioned.

I do not know of a major retailer that does not carry exploitation
goods.

Here is the latest movie along that line.

http://wwjbmovie.com/ What Would Jesus Buy (the movie).

Basing an economic appeal on religious grounds weakens or destroys the
message.

They want you to support your local retailer of all kinds and not buy
from any chain store.

I will continue to consider a fish on the business card, billboard,
other advertising or entrance door as a warning sign, however. I want
a business to earn my patronage through quality of product and real
value delivered. Any other basis is irrelevant.

Now showing in just a few cities for a few more weeks.

In other words, they have yet to achieve the impact of Michael Moore.
Probable overall result: They won't make the slightest difference.

DVD should be availble soon.

Maybe not at mainstream outlets.

Old November 30th 07, 09:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David L. Johnson

Werehatrack wrote:

I will continue to consider a fish on the business card, billboard,
other advertising or entrance door as a warning sign, however.

Even the fish with little feet?

--

David L. Johnson

It is probable that television drama of high caliber and produced by
first-rate artists will materially raise the level of dramatic taste
in the nation.
-- David Sarnoff, 1939
Old November 30th 07, 09:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Werehatrack

On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 16:41:42 -0500, "David L. Johnson"
may have said:

Werehatrack wrote:

I will continue to consider a fish on the business card, billboard,
other advertising or entrance door as a warning sign, however.

Even the fish with little feet?

I have yet to see one of those used in a business advertisement,
except when the business was selling shirts, placards, stickers or
other merchandise displaying them.

Old November 30th 07, 11:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Nov 30, 3:41 pm, "David L. Johnson"
wrote:
Werehatrack wrote:
I will continue to consider a fish on the business card, billboard,
other advertising or entrance door as a warning sign, however.

Even the fish with little feet?

Here in the buckle of the bible belt you often see the huge shark
silhouette labeled "TRUTH" eating the Darwin Fish on the back of cars.
A little arrogant, no?
Old December 1st 07, 01:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman[_2_]

David L. Johnson wrote:
Werehatrack wrote:

I will continue to consider a fish on the business card, billboard,
other advertising or entrance door as a warning sign, however.

Even the fish with little feet?

And using tools! http://www.evolvefish.com/fish/media/E-Evolve.gif

"Localized intense suction such as tornadoes is created when temperature
differences are high enough between meeting air masses, and can impart
excessive energy onto a cyclist." - Randy Schlitter
Old December 1st 07, 01:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Werehatrack wrote:
I will continue to consider a fish on the business card, billboard,
other advertising or entrance door as a warning sign, however.

Even for a seafood store or restaurant?

I want
a business to earn my patronage through quality of product and real
value delivered. Any other basis is irrelevant....

I would be more likely to patronize any store that displayed the Flying
Spaghetti Monster. Ramen!

Old December 1st 07, 02:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Baldwin

Werehatrack says, "I will continue to consider a fish on the business
card, billboard, other advertising or entrance door as a warning sign,"

Mike writes - The producer Morgan Spurlock has succeeded! For those
who are following this thread and have yet to check out the
forementioned website I suggest you do.

Check out the link/sponsor page. I'll let you draw your own conclusions
(I know, that's awful big of me) but I'll always follow the money. Nuff
said.

Best Regards - Mike Baldwin

Old December 1st 07, 08:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Werehatrack

On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 19:49:22 -0600, Tom Sherman
may have said:

Werehatrack wrote:
I will continue to consider a fish on the business card, billboard,
other advertising or entrance door as a warning sign, however.

Even for a seafood store or restaurant?

Yup. It warns me that they might try to sell me fish loaf. Stuff's
pretty awful.

I want
a business to earn my patronage through quality of product and real
value delivered. Any other basis is irrelevant....

I would be more likely to patronize any store that displayed the Flying
Spaghetti Monster. Ramen!

I will note that an international ecumenical conference recently added
FSM to its list of topics to be addressed; no data on whether they are
looking at the popularity of FSM as a sign that they've overstepped
the bounds of reason too far. That would be too much to hope for, I
suppose.

Crappy brakes on dept. store bike Jim Techniques 11 July 6th 06 09:57 PM
Little Boy Marty Wallace worte: Meter Maid Cop she is the Barney Five of the dept. Sergeant Tiffany Delatorre Email [email protected] conext tiem The report I got back little marty boy did not get ancord police report back THE cop THAT W Valley Biker Australia 0 September 24th 05 12:23 AM
crappy dept store bikes adam85 Australia 26 September 9th 05 04:52 AM
check out this store eljest Unicycling 0 February 23rd 05 04:38 PM
Most notable difference - Dept Store Bike and name brand? Badger South General 21 November 27th 03 05:13 PM