Do *You* Hate Motorists? Take The Test

Old April 27th 09, 02:25 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mark[_15_]

Default Do *You* Hate Motorists? Take The Test

On Mon, 27 Apr 2009 13:16:35 +0100, "Brimstone"
wrote:

Mark wrote:
On Sat, 25 Apr 2009 21:59:18 +0100, "Adam Lea"

On 25 Apr, 19:30, "alan.holmes" wrote:
wrote in message

Was she silly enough to pay the fine, or did she ask to see the
'evidence'?

She admitted she was doing 40 mph in a 30 mph zone outside of a
school and since she had no money *I* was silly enough to pay the
fine!

I hope she took you out to a meal (or something similar) as
compensation.

I hope she stopped driving completely.

40mph past a school is inexcusable IMHO.

Surely that depends on the circumstances?

To me this shows a lack of care, awareness and consideration. All of
which should be present for someone to be allowed to drive IMHO.

(I am a parent and school governor and have been campaigning, with
only minor successes, for many years for road/pavement safety
improvements to be made near the schools so I am particularly
sensitive to Simon's statement.)

--
(\__/) M.

Old April 27th 09, 02:54 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
mileburner

"Mark" wrote in message

To me this shows a lack of care, awareness and consideration. All of
which should be present for someone to be allowed to drive IMHO.

(I am a parent and school governor and have been campaigning, with
only minor successes, for many years for road/pavement safety
improvements to be made near the schools so I am particularly
sensitive to Simon's statement.)

I would be interested to know what improvements you would like to see
concerning road/pavement safety.

Old April 27th 09, 04:19 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

On Mon, 27 Apr 2009 13:02:35 +0100
Mark wrote:

I hope she stopped driving completely.

40mph past a school is inexcusable IMHO.

That rather depends on the road layout, conditions, time of day ...
don't you think?

Old April 27th 09, 06:46 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Just zis Guy, you know?[_2_]

On Mon, 27 Apr 2009 12:44:43 +0100, Peter Clinch
wrote:

Given the options of lots of people being in denial or the cameras that
caught them being wrong, he seems to think the former option is
considerably more likely.

You know, I really think he might be onto something there...

Guy
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk/urc | http://www.nohelmetlaw.org.uk/

simple, neat and wrong" - HL Mencken

Newsgroup may contain nuts.
Old April 27th 09, 08:30 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
alan.holmes

"Simon Mason" wrote in message
. uk...

"alan.holmes" wrote in message

I assumed, in the first instance, that the devices were reliable, so I
took it that I had exceeded the speed limit, I have no idea whether I was
guilty of exceeding the speed limit on the others, but the fact they were
dropped, makes me feel I was not guilty, as are probably most people
trapped by these things.

Did you not know if you were exceeding the speed limit? Surely, it is a
prerequisite of driving on a public road to a) be able to know what the
speed limit is for the road you are on and the class of vehicle you are
driving and b) be capable of driving the vehicle at no more than this
limit.

Unfortunately I do not have your facility of being able to watch the
speedometer and the road at the same time, I'm more concerned aout not
killing someone than being paranoid about the speed I'm doing, if it is just
right for the conditions then I'm happy, if however I feel I am going too
fast for the conditions then I slow down.

Do you just drive around willy-nilly not knowing if you are speeding or
not? In my case, when I got 3 speeding fines through the post addressed to
me, I knew it couldn't possibly be me as I don't speed, why weren't you as
sure?

I'm curious as to why you got 3 speeding fines when you knew you were not
speeding, did you pay them?

Old April 27th 09, 08:36 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
alan.holmes

"Peter Clinch" wrote in message
Simon Mason wrote:

Did you not know if you were exceeding the speed limit? Surely, it is a
prerequisite of driving on a public road to a) be able to know what the
speed limit is for the road you are on and the class of vehicle you are
driving and b) be capable of driving the vehicle at no more than this
limit.

My dad was caught by a camera last year. Fair cop, he hadn't been
paying enough attention, guilty as charged. He went on the "awareness
course" offered, and said that he was the only guilty person there.
/Everyone/ else would swear it was all a frightful injustice.

How did he know he was speeding?

And if he knew why didn't he slow down?

Or did he just take the word of the police who really don't give a damn
whether you really are speeding, just so it increases their fund.

Given the options of lots of people being in denial or the cameras that
caught them being wrong, he seems to think the former option is
considerably more likely.

I assure you he is wrong, the camera are not properly calibrated, and the
people responcible for them do not care just as long as idiots who are
caught by them believe them.

A nice little earner!

There are only two devices I would not chalenge, the hand held RADAR guns
which are checked at the start and end of every shift, and police cars as I
assume they are checked fairly frequently.

Old April 27th 09, 09:27 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Señor Chris

alan.holmes wrote:

Unfortunately I do not have your facility of being able to watch the
speedometer and the road at the same time, I'm more concerned aout not
killing someone than being paranoid about the speed I'm doing, if it is just
right for the conditions then I'm happy, if however I feel I am going too
fast for the conditions then I slow down.

Is that the approach you used when you took your test ?
Old April 28th 09, 08:30 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Clinch

alan.holmes wrote:

How did he know he was speeding?

He saw the flash, checked the speedo, noted it was speed limit. So
unless he managed to speed up considerably in the rather short time
between the camera flash and the speedo check it was bang to rights, as
he had the honesty and integrity to admit.

And if he knew why didn't he slow down?

He subsequently did, but his car being somewhat less adroit at time
travel than the Tardis, it was a bit late by then.

Or did he just take the word of the police who really don't give a damn
whether you really are speeding, just so it increases their fund.

As above.

I assure you he is wrong, the camera are not properly calibrated, and the
people responcible for them do not care just as long as idiots who are
caught by them believe them.

Well, proof by assertion, that's jolly convincing, especially in light
of the above where the speedo check happened to coincide with what speed
he was alleged to have been doing.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
Old April 28th 09, 09:44 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

On Tue, 28 Apr 2009 08:30:14 +0100
Peter Clinch wrote:

Well, proof by assertion, that's jolly convincing,

Did you expect any better?

Chapman's OWN Web Page: "I Hate Motorists" Chapman Is A Liar UK 15 October 22nd 08 04:29 AM
I Still Hate Motorists, Even Though I've Just Changed My Site To Attempt To Cover It Up Just zis Guy, you know?[_2_] UK 7 October 19th 08 11:32 PM
I Hate Motorists _[_4_] UK 4 October 10th 08 06:57 PM
Testosterone test: isotope test gabriel faure Racing 66 August 3rd 06 09:15 PM
Motorists will even hate us more now Peter Wilson Australia 8 August 5th 05 03:17 AM