I am that out of date

Old April 28th 21, 09:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default I am that out of date

On 4/28/2021 1:45 PM, AMuzi wrote:
On 4/28/2021 10:36 AM, Frank Krygowski wrote:

I mentioned the tiny pedal wrench I use with the Bike
Friday. I did have to find pedal washers for those bikes,
and IME they're not easy to find in bike shops! And then I
have to make sure I don't lose the pedal washers when I
travel with the bike in its box.

It's good practice for bikes such as yours with pedals frequently
removed/installed.Â* Any hard flat washer with a 9/16" hole and thickness
between .05mm (TA) and 2.0mm (Look) will do.

Naturally, when we got the bikes I first looked in my jar-o'-washers,
which are mostly stripped out of stuff I was throwing away. As I recall,
I found only one or two that were suitable, and it took multiple tries
to locate a bike shop that had some. (We have few LBSs here.)

A twis-tie is prefect while pedals are off.

That's what I use. My ideal would be washers that were captive - say,
whose ID was microscopically smaller than the OD of the pedal threads,
so they'd press or thread on but not fall off.

It's a detail, I know, but I sometimes get fussy about these little
inconvenience. But unfortunately, not fussy enough to do more than
complain! Mea culpa.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old April 28th 21, 09:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Wednesday, April 28, 2021 at 1:10:42 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 4/28/2021 1:45 PM, AMuzi wrote:
On 4/28/2021 10:36 AM, Frank Krygowski wrote:

I mentioned the tiny pedal wrench I use with the Bike
Friday. I did have to find pedal washers for those bikes,
and IME they're not easy to find in bike shops! And then I
have to make sure I don't lose the pedal washers when I
travel with the bike in its box.

It's good practice for bikes such as yours with pedals frequently
removed/installed. Any hard flat washer with a 9/16" hole and thickness
between .05mm (TA) and 2.0mm (Look) will do.

Naturally, when we got the bikes I first looked in my jar-o'-washers,
which are mostly stripped out of stuff I was throwing away. As I recall,
I found only one or two that were suitable, and it took multiple tries
to locate a bike shop that had some. (We have few LBSs here.)
A twis-tie is prefect while pedals are off.

That's what I use. My ideal would be washers that were captive - say,
whose ID was microscopically smaller than the OD of the pedal threads,
so they'd press or thread on but not fall off.

It's a detail, I know, but I sometimes get fussy about these little
inconvenience. But unfortunately, not fussy enough to do more than
complain! Mea culpa.

I've gotten pedal washers free from LBSs and bought a bunch off Amazon. I can't find any hardware store equivalents. If there is a cheap equivalent/common part, let me know. I don't see one in the vast selection of flat washers at my local hardware store -- or anything in the lose parts section of the plumbing department. Anything from the hardware store with a 9/16" ID would have giant OD and look stupid.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old April 28th 21, 11:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 4/28/2021 4:22 PM, jbeattie wrote:

I've gotten pedal washers free from LBSs and bought a bunch off Amazon. I can't find any hardware store equivalents. If there is a cheap equivalent/common part, let me know.

These might do:
https://www.mcmaster.com/standard-wa...teel/od~0-734/

and be cheap enough. Not as cheap as some on Ebay, though.

I don't know about shipping. I'm lucky in that McMaster-Carr's warehouse
is within a couple miles of a route I drive weekly. I've ordered stuff
and picked it up myself.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old April 29th 21, 12:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Wednesday, April 28, 2021 at 3:38:21 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 4/28/2021 4:22 PM, jbeattie wrote:

I've gotten pedal washers free from LBSs and bought a bunch off Amazon. I can't find any hardware store equivalents. If there is a cheap equivalent/common part, let me know.

These might do:
https://www.mcmaster.com/standard-wa...teel/od~0-734/

and be cheap enough. Not as cheap as some on Ebay, though.

I don't know about shipping. I'm lucky in that McMaster-Carr's warehouse
is within a couple miles of a route I drive weekly. I've ordered stuff
and picked it up myself.

That might be the ticket! Get 50 of them for $10.52 -- about $.21 a pop and then sell them for $1 each. You'll be a hundredaire! Actually, I'd love a bag, although 50 may be excessive. Shipping would be an issue since I'm not down the street from McMaster-Carr, but the price is so low to start, it may still be a deal.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old April 29th 21, 12:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 4/28/2021 4:26 PM, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

You can get 10 of them, next day, for $5.99 from Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08P2THWPH.

You can get 10 of them, next month, for $2.13 from China
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001365605822.html.

That McMaster-Cdrr SKU could be used in a pinch, but they're not ideal.
Old April 29th 21, 01:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Wed, 28 Apr 2021 18:38:16 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 4/28/2021 4:22 PM, jbeattie wrote:
I've gotten pedal washers free from LBSs and bought a bunch off Amazon. I can't find any hardware store equivalents. If there is a cheap equivalent/common part, let me know.

These might do:
https://www.mcmaster.com/standard-wa...teel/od~0-734/

Not quite. According to this web pile:
https://wheelsmfg.com/ped-wash-20.html
the proper dementia a
Thick: 1.2mm
OD: 19.8mm
ID: 14.2mm

The McMaster Carr washers a
Thick: 0.057 - 0.067 - 1.4478 - 1.7018 mm
OD: 0.734 = 18.6 mm
ID: 0.562 = 14.3 mm

The only really critical dimension is the ID, and that's within 0.1
mm. Good enough but I would't buy it. The meterial is:
Zinc Yellow-Chromate Plated Steel
which is not compatible with carbon fiber. If you ever switch to
carbon fiber cranks, you'll have problems. I suggest you stick with
stainless steel washers. These are what's available in 9/16":
https://www.mcmaster.com/standard-washers/washers-4/washers-5/for-screw-size~9-16/
In stainless, the smallest OD is 0.938" which methinks is too big:
https://www.mcmaster.com/standard-washers/washers-4/washers-5/for-screw-size~9-16/od~0-938/

I suggestion you buy the correct washers on eBay, Amazon, or your get
some more free washers from your LBS.

--
Jeff Liebermann
PO Box 272
Old April 29th 21, 03:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On Wednesday, April 28, 2021 at 1:22:14 PM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

I have the same problem. The local washers have an OD far too large.
Old April 29th 21, 06:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Wednesday, April 28, 2021 at 6:38:21 PM UTC-4, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 4/28/2021 4:22 PM, jbeattie wrote:

I've gotten pedal washers free from LBSs and bought a bunch off Amazon. I can't find any hardware store equivalents. If there is a cheap equivalent/common part, let me know.

These might do:
https://www.mcmaster.com/standard-wa...teel/od~0-734/

and be cheap enough. Not as cheap as some on Ebay, though.

I don't know about shipping. I'm lucky in that McMaster-Carr's warehouse
is within a couple miles of a route I drive weekly. I've ordered stuff
and picked it up myself.

--
- Frank Krygowski

McMsters shipping is top-notch. Usually next day and usually free. We regularly order from mcmaster at work, and I've used them almost exclusively for hardware for well over 20 years. Never had an issue with shipping, though once or twice I've had a quality issue with the product and the fact that they usually don't list the manufacturer of the product is annoying.
Old April 29th 21, 06:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

The meterial is:
Zinc Yellow-Chromate Plated Steel
which is not compatible with carbon fiber. If you ever switch to
carbon fiber cranks, you'll have problems. I suggest you stick with
stainless steel washers.

What is it about zinc plated steel that makes it incompatible with CF?
Old April 29th 21, 09:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Thu, 29 Apr 2021 10:53:34 -0700 (PDT), "

The meterial is:
Zinc Yellow-Chromate Plated Steel
which is not compatible with carbon fiber. If you ever switch to
carbon fiber cranks, you'll have problems. I suggest you stick with
stainless steel washers.

What is it about zinc plated steel that makes it incompatible with CF?

Radically different galvanic potential voltage in the presence of an
electrolyte.
https://l-36.com/corrosion.php
Note that zinc is very anodic (-1.0V) while carbon is very cathodic
(+0.2V). Remember the carbon-zinc 1.5v flashlight batteries?[1]

If you look at the chart, the materials that are close together in the
galvanic series are fairly immune to corrosion while the materials
that are far apart are a problem. For example, carbon, titanium, and
stainless steel are fairly close together and therefore safe. However,
aluminum, copper, brass, cadmium and zinc are at the opposite end from
carbon and therefore need to be insulated from the carbon. Painting
the CF with an insulator can work but only until a tiny crack ruins
your day.

This is aluminum and CF (nobody makes zinc galvanized bicycle frames)
which should give you a clue what can happen:
https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycling/992139-colnago-c40-carbon-fiber-corrosion-aluminum-guides-salt.html

Dr Barry L. Ornitz on galvanic corrosion:
https://yarchive.net/electr/galvanic_corrosion.html

"How to prevent galvanic corrosion in carbon composites"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPbToNbtubg (5:04)

[1] Yes, you can make a carbon fiber battery:
https://newatlas.com/energy/carbon-fiber-structural-battery/

What date is it? lardyninja UK 5 April 3rd 09 06:46 PM
need a date look here Donald Munro Racing 0 May 27th 06 11:21 AM
need a date look here Donald Munro Racing 0 May 27th 06 11:16 AM
need a date look here Donald Munro Racing 0 May 27th 06 11:15 AM
Perfect date Claire Petersky General 19 April 15th 05 03:55 PM