Frame wobble - custom built bike

Old March 3rd 05, 04:17 AM
jim beam

Joe Riel wrote:
jim beam writes:

i'm not trying to b.s. you. go back to basics like lami's theorem & do
the math for tri-axial loads

Triaxial? For three loads to sum to zero they must be coplanar
(i.e. lie in a common plane).

yes, they lie on the same plane - by definition!

Whose definition? You used the term "triaxial" as though it applied
to this situation. I'm aware of two common uses of "triaxial": (1)
three elements sharing a common axis (e.g. triaxial cable or triaxial
speakers; and (2) a quantity that can be decomposed into three
independent axes (e.g. one would use a triaxial accelerometer to
measure acceleration in the three spatial dimensions).

good point - definition 1, but expanded a little. "triaxial" just means
3 axes. they can be co-linear [cable], co-planar,
http://hexdome.com/weaving/triaxial/weaving/index.php
or 3-dimensional. i mean it in the co-planar sense.

The first usage clearly doesn't apply---if the forces share a common
axis then there is no triangle. The second, which is more likely to
be relevant, also doesn't apply; if the three axes are independent,
then the forces are not in static equilibrium (i.e. they are not
coplanar and don't sum to zero). Maybe there is a third usage I'm not
aware. Not that this has any particular relevance to the matter at
hand...

Joe

Old March 3rd 05, 05:19 AM
Joe Riel

jim beam writes:

good point - definition 1, but expanded a little. "triaxial" just
means 3 axes. they can be co-linear [cable], co-planar,
http://hexdome.com/weaving/triaxial/weaving/index.php
or 3-dimensional. i mean it in the co-planar sense.

Nice site, thanks. I like the name "whug", to go along
with the more familar warp and weft.

Joe
Old March 3rd 05, 07:07 AM

On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 05:19:40 GMT, Joe Riel
wrote:

jim beam writes:

good point - definition 1, but expanded a little. "triaxial" just
means 3 axes. they can be co-linear [cable], co-planar,
http://hexdome.com/weaving/triaxial/weaving/index.php
or 3-dimensional. i mean it in the co-planar sense.

Nice site, thanks. I like the name "whug", to go along
with the more familar warp and weft.

Joe

Dear Joe,

And I like your reply, which led me to look at the
site--"whug" is indeed the word.

Sadly "whug" doesn't seem to be used anywhere else yet, but
with luck it may catch on.

Thanks,

Carl Fogel
Old March 4th 05, 05:59 PM
Matt

Tom Sherman wrote:

If you believe this try riding without a frontskewer

By implication, this means that you have ridden without a front

skewer.
Please report on the experience.

--
Tom Sherman - Earth

About 12 years ago, as we approached the final turn before a ~1/4mi
straight to the finish of a 40mi road race, I looked down to notice
that my front skewer was open--and this was a bike w/o lawyer lips,
BTW. I decided to forgo contesting the sprint, but I did ride the rest
of the way in before stopping.

40 mile race, open skewer, no problems, though its not an experiment I
would like to replicate...

Matt.

Old March 4th 05, 06:27 PM
Peter Cole

Matt wrote:

About 12 years ago, as we approached the final turn before a ~1/4mi
straight to the finish of a 40mi road race, I looked down to notice
that my front skewer was open--and this was a bike w/o lawyer lips,
BTW. I decided to forgo contesting the sprint, but I did ride the

rest
of the way in before stopping.

I had a similar experience on a century with a mountain climb in the
middle. As I pulled little near-wheelies during the last 20% grade at
the summit I felt my wheel clunking. When I stopped and lifted the
front the wheel fell out. I can only assume that the QR had been open
since the start 50 miles before. I had hit over 40 mph on the rollers
leading up to the summit -- a sobering realization.

Old March 5th 05, 03:48 AM
Tim McNamara

"Peter Cole" writes:

Matt wrote:

About 12 years ago, as we approached the final turn before a ~1/4mi
straight to the finish of a 40mi road race, I looked down to notice
that my front skewer was open--and this was a bike w/o lawyer lips,
BTW. I decided to forgo contesting the sprint, but I did ride the
rest of the way in before stopping.

I had a similar experience on a century with a mountain climb in the
middle. As I pulled little near-wheelies during the last 20% grade
at the summit I felt my wheel clunking. When I stopped and lifted
the front the wheel fell out. I can only assume that the QR had been
open since the start 50 miles before. I had hit over 40 mph on the
rollers leading up to the summit -- a sobering realization.

OK, both you guys whomped the hell out of my little anecdote! ;-)