How do you transport your bicycle to other countries?

Old December 2nd 06, 09:12 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Ken Aston

Default How do you transport your bicycle to other countries?

Recently I have been very excited about the idea of traveling around
other countries by bicycle. What I still haven't figured out yet, is an
economical way to transport my bicycle to the destination country and
back.

As far as I understand, in economy class airlines regard a bicycle as
regular luggage and it thus falls into the regular weight allowance of
usually 23 kg (on flights from Europe to Asia or Australia). Bike,
panniers, camping equipment, tools, parts, clothing, that quickly adds
up to double than that.

How do you solve this problem? Every extra kg of luggage costs about 50
Euro. Taking just an extra 10 kg comes close to the price of the actual
ticket. Isn't there a cheaper way?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I can't wait to take my
bike along on the next trip.

Regards,
Ken Aston

Old December 2nd 06, 01:33 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Peter Signorini

"Ken Aston" wrote:

Recently I have been very excited about the idea of traveling around
other countries by bicycle.

snip

How do you solve this problem? Every extra kg of luggage costs about 50
Euro. Taking just an extra 10 kg comes close to the price of the actual
ticket. Isn't there a cheaper way?

A lot of my friends have travelled by plane from Australia to Asian, Nth
American and European destinations with their own bikes. I think you need to
look at another airline - shop around for one that carries bikes at a set
weight allowance eg. Virgin Blue in Australia allows a bike as 5kgs of your
allowance, no matter what the actual weight of the bike.

Check out this site for more tips:
http://www.bikeaccess.net/bikeaccess/Default.cfm?Index

--
Cheers
Peter

~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*)

Old December 2nd 06, 04:26 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Skewer

Ken Aston wrote:
[...]

Ken,

I flew Air France to Europe in July 2006.
AF policy was that Bicycles were a separate distinct category of luggage
Total bicycle weight limit was 20kg including the box and it could only
contain a bicycle & bicycle related equipment.
The was a was a flat charge of 80 euro per sector (Melb Paris via
Singapore = 1 sector) payable on departure.

The first leg was a Qantas code-share and they either forgot to or
couldn't charge the 80 euro for the outward leg.
So I only paid 80 euro when flying back from Paris.

disclaimer
I'm a sample of 1 and this has not been verified by repeat testing ;-)

--
Rgds
Pete.B
Old December 3rd 06, 01:54 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Patrick Keogh

Skewer wrote:
Ken Aston wrote:
[...]

Some suggestions based on my experience:

* Shopping around as Pete suggests will make the biggest difference.
* However if you have to fly QANTAS, join QANTAS Frequent Flyer. You get
an extra 5 or 10Kg weight allowance.
* Get a lighter bike. My bike, helmet and small quantity of tools in a
box is well under 20Kg. Of course this depends on where you plan to ride!
* Make the maximum use of your carry-on allowance. Two bags at 7Kg each
make a big difference!
* Depending on where you are going, think about hiring some heavy items
such as a tent. It is nearly cheaper to buy one and throw it away
afterwards than it is to transport one in some cases.
* Depending on where you are going, take zero spares and minimum tools.
You'll have to enlist the help of a bike shop to pack up your bike
(getting the pedals off etc.) but apart from that you should be able to
survive with just a multi tool.
* Pre-ship some items to your destination. 80 Euros will ship a fairly
large box to many countries.

Patrick
Old December 3rd 06, 03:16 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Friday

Patrick Keogh wrote:
Skewer wrote:
Ken Aston wrote:
[...]

I remember years ago a top speedway solo rider in my town brought a
motor bike engine back from England as hand luggage. I guess times have
changed since then.

Friday
Old December 3rd 06, 03:05 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Mike

Ken Aston wrote:
Recently I have been very excited about the idea of traveling around
other countries by bicycle. What I still haven't figured out yet, is an
economical way to transport my bicycle to the destination country and
back.

As far as I understand, in economy class airlines regard a bicycle as
regular luggage and it thus falls into the regular weight allowance of
usually 23 kg (on flights from Europe to Asia or Australia). Bike,
panniers, camping equipment, tools, parts, clothing, that quickly adds
up to double than that.

It is possible to get an increased allowance of 30kg. Make sure that
info is annotated to your booking on the computer.
Put the heavy stuff in your jacket pockets.
Try google, there are lots of tricks.

If you fly via north-America, you get a 2 piece x 32kg allowance.
(e.g. RTW ticket)

Not using a bike box can save several kg, but thats a whole other topic.
Old December 4th 06, 08:52 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Resound

"Friday" wrote in message
Patrick Keogh wrote:
Skewer wrote:
Ken Aston wrote:
[...]

Fit a fake stomach and pack the heavy stuff into that. If you get pegged,
ask them if they're prepared to kick off everyone who's carrying surplus
weight in their stomach.

Old December 5th 06, 05:15 AM posted to aus.bicycle
geoffs

Peter Signorini Wrote: [color=blue]
"Ken Aston" wrote:
Virgin Blue in Australia allows a bike as 5kgs of your
allowance, no matter what the actual weight of the bike.

Check out this site for more tips:
http://www.bikeaccess.net/bikeaccess/Default.cfm?Index

Not quiet right. Virgin's limit is 34kg's which we found out when we
packed our old tandem with full water bottles.

We travel with our S&S couplled co-motion tandem and have yet to be
charged anything when travelling so long as we keep both bags under
25kg each for the flights we've been on.
With our non-coupled tandem, we have packed it into 2 bike boxes that
we've bought at the airport from Virgin for $20.

Most international airlines class a bike as sporting equipment and
don't charge. Just make sure you print a copy of their policy so you
have a copy if someone "forgets" and tries to charge you.
Air France has a habit of losing bikes. I've heard of quiet a few
peoples holiday being ruined due to the bike being awaol.

Cheers

Geoff

--
geoffs

Old December 5th 06, 09:38 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Shane Stanley

In article ,
geoffs wrote:

Most international airlines class a bike as sporting equipment and
don't charge.

That's not the case any more -- lots of them charge these days.

--
Shane Stanley

How do you transport your bicycle to other countries? Ken Aston UK 8 December 5th 06 02:35 PM
How do you transport your bicycle to other countries? Ken Aston General 2 December 5th 06 06:43 AM
PER Bicycle Transport Alliance Jerseys Are Here gumby Australia 2 March 8th 06 05:31 AM
5 countries in a day. Simon Mason UK 2 January 3rd 06 05:02 PM
chances by countries Andre Racing 18 June 15th 05 09:49 AM