Octalink BB

Old May 29th 07, 09:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
VeloJon

Default Octalink BB

I need a new BB, Octalink V1 68x118, and there doesn't seem to be any
options except Shimano (105 and DA level only, no Ultegra at this
point). I have surfed high and low for a BB-6500 BB in that size,
but only see them at egregious prices. I wore out the original 105 BB
in a couple years, and the DA version is a little pricey. Are there
any non-Shimano versions of this thing?

Old May 29th 07, 09:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
lwedge[_2_]

VeloJon Wrote:
I need a new BB, Octalink V1 68x118, and there doesn't seem to be any
options except Shimano (105 and DA level only, no Ultegra at this
point). I have surfed high and low for a BB-6500 BB in that size,
but only see them at egregious prices. I wore out the original 105 BB
in a couple years, and the DA version is a little pricey. Are there
any non-Shimano versions of this thing?

Got 65 bucks ?

http://tinyurl.com/yt6aso=

-

--
lwedge

Old May 29th 07, 10:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
VeloJon

On May 29, 4:47 pm, lwedge lwedge.2rd...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com wrote:
VeloJon Wrote: I need a new BB, Octalink V1 68x118, and there doesn't seem to be any
options except Shimano (105 and DA level only, no Ultegra at this
point). I have surfed high and low for a BB-6500 BB in that size,
but only see them at egregious prices. I wore out the original 105 BB
in a couple years, and the DA version is a little pricey. Are there
any non-Shimano versions of this thing?

Got 65 bucks ?

http://tinyurl.com/yt6aso=

-

--
lwedge

wrong size - they only have 70x118, I need 68x118

Old May 29th 07, 10:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Diablo Scott

VeloJon wrote:
I need a new BB, Octalink V1 68x118, and there doesn't seem to be any
options except Shimano (105 and DA level only, no Ultegra at this
point). I have surfed high and low for a BB-6500 BB in that size,
but only see them at egregious prices. I wore out the original 105 BB
in a couple years, and the DA version is a little pricey. Are there
any non-Shimano versions of this thing?

Search on BB-6503 still some around. http://tinyurl.com/yqbot7

There was one non-Shimano Octalink company but I think they made the
cranks only, not BBs... was probably Ritchey.
Old May 29th 07, 10:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mike Kaiser

On May 29, 4:01 pm, VeloJon wrote:
On May 29, 4:47 pm, lwedge lwedge.2rd...@no-

mx.forums.cyclingforums.com wrote:
VeloJon Wrote: I need a new BB, Octalink V1 68x118, and there doesn't seem to be any
options except Shimano (105 and DA level only, no Ultegra at this
point). I have surfed high and low for a BB-6500 BB in that size,
but only see them at egregious prices. I wore out the original 105 BB
in a couple years, and the DA version is a little pricey. Are there
any non-Shimano versions of this thing?

Got 65 bucks ?

http://tinyurl.com/yt6aso=

-

--
lwedge

wrong size - they only have 70x118, I need 68x118

How about this?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...x?ModelID=1050

Old May 29th 07, 10:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
bfd

On May 29, 2:12 pm, Diablo Scott wrote:
VeloJon wrote:
I need a new BB, Octalink V1 68x118, and there doesn't seem to be any
options except Shimano (105 and DA level only, no Ultegra at this
point). I have surfed high and low for a BB-6500 BB in that size,
but only see them at egregious prices. I wore out the original 105 BB
in a couple years, and the DA version is a little pricey. Are there
any non-Shimano versions of this thing?

Search on BB-6503 still some around. http://tinyurl.com/yqbot7

There was one non-Shimano Octalink company but I think they made the
cranks only, not BBs... was probably Ritchey.

Shimano allowed several companies to make cranks for octalink bbs like
Ritchey, FSA and Sugino, to name a few. However, Shimano NEVER
licensed the rights to others to make octalink bbs. Thus, you're
limited to what's available:

Sheldon has 68x118 - $70:
http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/botto...s.html#shimano

Any good LBS either should have it or can get it via distributor like
QBP, but it ain't gonna be cheap. Good Luck!

Old May 29th 07, 10:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ozark Bicycle

VeloJon wrote:
[...]

A E Bike lists 68 x118 Octalink BBs starting at $12.99, and the BB5500
(105) model at $34.99

http://tinyurl.com/3afb2p

Old May 29th 07, 10:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
bfd

VeloJon wrote:
[...]

Agree. But, the OP seems to only want the Ultegra 6500 version - "I
have surfed high and low for a BB-6500 BB in that size, but only see
them at egregious prices. I wore out the original 105 BB in a couple
years, and the DA version is a little pricey."

If I was him, I stock up on the $13 model and RIDE!!!!

Old May 29th 07, 11:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ozark Bicycle

VeloJon wrote:
[...]

Don't you think that $70 for an Ultegra is among the "egregious
prices"?

I wore out the original 105 BB in a couple
years, and the DA version is a little pricey."

And, I doubt a 105 is really shorter lived than an Ultegra.

If I was him, I stock up on the $13 model and RIDE!!!!-

Yep, treat it like a Bic shaver.

Old May 29th 07, 11:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
bfd

VeloJon wrote:
[...]

Yup, but I wouldn't limit myself to just an ultegra bb either.
Interestingly, AEBike lists the DA version for only $60, what a
bargain!

I wore out the original 105 BB in a couple
years, and the DA version is a little pricey."

And, I doubt a 105 is really shorter lived than an Ultegra.

If I was him, I stock up on the $13 model and RIDE!!!!-

Yep, treat it like a Bic shaver.

Hey, we actually agree on a couple of things!