Which rigid singlespeed with disc brakes to buy?

Old August 27th 03, 01:59 PM
Graham Hannington

Default Which rigid singlespeed with disc brakes to buy?

My current ride is a Surly Singleator'd steel (Tange Prestige) MTB
with rigid forks that began life in '92 as a Shogun Team Issue Prairie
Breaker (many mods since then). I still love this bike, but now I'd
like to try disc brakes (it's currently got LX V brakes).

One option is to get discs fitted to this bike. I think that this
would involve, at a minimum, some new disc mount braze-ons, which also
means a new paint job (the current "Tonka toy" yellow is chipped
anyway). While I'm at it, I'd get the framebuilder to shave off the
now-unnecessary cable guides. But I'm not sure exactly which products
to go for. And the cost of custom framework plus a paint job might end
up being a significant fraction of a completely new bike.

So, I'm also looking at new bikes:

- The '04 Cannondale Singlespeed Ultra
(http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/04/c...del-4FSSS.html) looks nice
(yeah, I know; it's got front suspension... I would prefer rigid).

- The Phil Woods KISS OFF
(http://www.philwood.com/webcatolog/page17.htm; I wish they had better
shots of a complete bike) has had good reviews, but the rear disc
brake mounting, owing I guess to the track fork ends, looks kinda
clunky (http://www.mtbreview.com/spotlight/j.../bMVC-004F.jpg).

- The Surly 1x1 rear triangle looks like it suffers from the same kind
of disc-induced ugliness as the KISS, albeit this time in braze-on
form (http://www.surlybikes.com/frames/1x1w.htm).

Can anyone recommend a "clean-limned" rigid SS with disc brakes?
(Doesn't need to be a complete "off-the-rack" bike, but if I'm going
to spend bucks on a new bike, I'd like to avoid unnecessary
braze-ons/ugly mounting brackets.)
Old August 27th 03, 02:15 PM
Carla A-G

"Graham Hannington" wrote in message
om...
Can anyone recommend a "clean-limned" rigid SS with disc brakes?
(Doesn't need to be a complete "off-the-rack" bike, but if I'm going
to spend bucks on a new bike, I'd like to avoid unnecessary
braze-ons/ugly mounting brackets.)

2004 Bianchi.

- CA-G

Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

Old August 27th 03, 03:06 PM
miles todd

Graham Hannington wrote:
[...]

I have a Sycip SS with the same setup as the Phil Wood. It is a little
clunky, but really not too bad. This design was the first disc specific
setup for SS.
The drawback to it is that it takes a 22mm Hayes rear caliper, a
vanishing breed. The advantage is it is silent, unlike the creaky
eccentric BB designs, which look a lot cleaner.

Some more recent designs (Spot Brand, for example) don't use an
eccentric BB or a sliding mount, but use an International Standard
caliper mount that sits the caliper at the very top of the rotor. These
use slightly slotted mounting holes for the caliper, allowing just
enough adjustability through the range of wheel placements in the
horizontal dropouts. This is the way I'd go if I were to get a new frame.

Miles

Old August 27th 03, 03:08 PM
deluxe model

[...]

(http://www.mtbreview.com/spotlight/j...ge=/spotlight/
jul00/images/bMVC-004F.jpg).

www.ifbikes.com

Old August 27th 03, 06:36 PM
JD

miles todd wrote in message ...
I have a Sycip SS with the same setup as the Phil Wood. It is a little
clunky, but really not too bad. This design was the first disc specific
setup for SS.
The drawback to it is that it takes a 22mm Hayes rear caliper, a
vanishing breed. The advantage is it is silent, unlike the creaky
eccentric BB designs, which look a lot cleaner.

Some more recent designs (Spot Brand, for example) don't use an
eccentric BB or a sliding mount, but use an International Standard
caliper mount that sits the caliper at the very top of the rotor. These
use slightly slotted mounting holes for the caliper, allowing just
enough adjustability through the range of wheel placements in the
horizontal dropouts. This is the way I'd go if I were to get a new frame.

Here's an easy way around the "I want disc brakes on my singlespeed,
but don't want the eccentric creak or to pay for a new frame" dilemma.
Go with a front only disc setup. After all, most of your stopping
power is in your front brake. The back brake is used more for control
instead of power, so you don't really need the disc in the back.

JD
Old August 27th 03, 07:12 PM
Carla A-G

"Mike Cox" wrote in message

"Carla A-G" wrote in message -ons/ugly mounting
brackets.)

2004 Bianchi.

2002 DISS and 2003 SISS both have Avid Mechanical Discs

Mike

I can't make it public yet, but wait until you see the 2004's...

- CA-G

Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

Old August 27th 03, 09:31 PM
GigaNews

How about a Santa Cruz Chameleon?

It shouldn;t be too hard to get a rigid fork to put on one.

Old August 27th 03, 09:37 PM
Carla A-G

"GigaNews" wrote in message
How about a Santa Cruz Chameleon?

It shouldn;t be too hard to get a rigid fork to put on one.

That's a heavy frame, not the greatest for xc riding.

- CA-G

Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

Old August 27th 03, 10:01 PM
James Messick

"Carla A-G" wrote in message
"GigaNews" wrote in message
How about a Santa Cruz Chameleon?

It shouldn;t be too hard to get a rigid fork to put on one.

That's a heavy frame, not the greatest for xc riding.

But, it's the challange 'they' want, right?

Rad rigid singlespeed pictures. Carla A-G Mountain Biking 8 October 26th 03 01:39 AM
Drum-Brake Reliable for Long, Steep Descents? Elisa Francesca Roselli General 45 October 8th 03 01:34 AM
XTR Disc brakes voodoo Mountain Biking 11 August 10th 03 01:06 PM
Disc Brakes... TJ Mountain Biking 27 July 11th 03 01:29 PM
Opinions on Hayes HMX-1 Mechanical Disc Brakes? David L Mountain Biking 2 June 27th 03 12:12 AM