Cell phone can find the nearest bike shop.

Old June 3rd 07, 12:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.misc
Mike Kruger

Default Cell phone can find the nearest bike shop.

There are at least 3 free business search numbers that use voice recognition
software to help you find the nearest restaurant, massage parlor ... or bike
shop. This might be useful if you were out in an unfamiliar area and needed
an emergency repair.

The numbers are
800.555.TELL (Microsoft)
800.GOOG.411 (Google)
800.FREE.411 (Jingle Networks)

I wrote an article for our bike club newsletter on these, which I've posted
here.
http://zbicyclist.blogspot.com/2007/...n-on-road.html
(Anyone else looking for newsletter material can feel free to steal the
idea.)

Based on my limited tries, GOOG is good, TELL is useful, and FREE is weak.
None is as good as a regular internet search.

I'd be interested in anyone else's experiences.

Old June 3rd 07, 12:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.misc
Bill Sornson

Mike Kruger wrote:
There are at least 3 free business search numbers that use voice
recognition software to help you find the nearest restaurant, massage
parlor ... or bike shop. This might be useful if you were out in an
unfamiliar area and needed an emergency repair.

The numbers are
800.555.TELL (Microsoft)
800.GOOG.411 (Google)
800.FREE.411 (Jingle Networks)

I wrote an article for our bike club newsletter on these, which I've
posted here.
http://zbicyclist.blogspot.com/2007/...n-on-road.html
(Anyone else looking for newsletter material can feel free to steal
the idea.)

Based on my limited tries, GOOG is good, TELL is useful, and FREE is
weak. None is as good as a regular internet search.

I already had the "FREE" one, and the only time I tried it it worked great.
Voice recognition of an uncertain biz name and then offered to complete the
call.

I guess the hook is you have to listen to a short commercial first, but it
wasn't too oppressive IIRC.

I'd be interested in anyone else's experiences.

Masage parlor, Gracie?