Do you use a mirror and which type?

Old June 1st 07, 06:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default Do you use a mirror and which type?

On Jun 1, 6:34 am, Will wrote:
On May 31, 9:44 pm, "Rich Clark" wrote:

Using a glasses-mount mirror works the same way, except that during the act
of turning your head both the sightline and the mirror are in motion.

AND... this is a great benefit because you can "scan" very
effectively, creating a wide field-of-vision simply by moving your
head an inch or two.

Very true. One precaution is that with an eyeglass or helmet mirror
you are viewing mostly with one eye so your depth perception is not
what it should be.

On my commute home there is a multi-lane road where I need to move
over one lane to avoid taking an offramp. The road also curves at
that point. My mirror is not sufficient, especially at night, to
determine if an approaching car is in the right or second-from-right
lane. I have to turn my head and look.

Tom

Old June 1st 07, 06:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Fritz

On 31 May 2007 11:33:42 -0700, "
wrote:

On May 31, 7:10 am, "Pete Derkowski" wrote:
Wondering what other road riders use...

I use a Third-Eye Pro helmet mirror, mounting it as Sheldon suggests.
It took about a month of regular riding to get used to it. Now I
wouldn't ride (on road) without it.

It has a couple of quirks. One is that I had to super-glue it to the
inside of my helmet to get it to stay put. The second is that the
pivot points weren't strong enough to maintain its position on a long,
fast downhill (too much wind force). I super-glued that also. And
when the helmet is not actually on my head, I have to be very careful
with it or else the mirror may break off (I've re-super-glued it to
the inside of my helmet countless times).

Just my experience.
Tom

I use the Third Eye Pro also. I have riveted it to my helmet visor
with an aluminum rivet. Works very well with very little vibration.
Also, since the mirror is out farther when attached to the visor,
one needs not have to turn their head at all to see traffic behind
them. Just the eyes need to move.
Old June 1st 07, 06:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Booker C. Bense[_18_]

In article ,
David L. Johnson wrote:
Booker C. Bense wrote:

_ I like this one a lot, for me it works better than anything
else I've tried and I've tried a lot of things over the years.

http://tinyurl.com/287ymq

If the URL doesn't work just search for "italian bike mirror" on
Ebay.

I remember seeing these when they came out, but they seem to no longer
be available commercially. Is there anywhere to get them aside from ebay?

As far as I know Aspire Velotech is the only importer and you can
order from them directly if you wish. They have always
be available on Ebay when I wanted one or looked to refer other
people. Ebay seems to be their "store".

_ Booker C. Bense
Old June 1st 07, 07:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Stephen Harding

DougC wrote:
Pete Derkowski wrote:

I ride a road bike and used a mirror that clips onto the frame of my
glasses - but I found it took quite a lot of time to get the small
mirror 'just right' ...

I use one like that and generally have no problems with it (Third Eye
eyeglass mirror). It is rigid plastic and has ball joints that
eventually wear out. It takes some practice to know when it's adjusted
right--I usually make sure I can see the edge of my own ear in the
mirror. I have to tilt my head to the side 15-20 degrees to see behind
me, but I /can/ watch forwards and backwards at the same time this way.

I tried a few handlebar-mount mirrors once, didn't like any of them.
They all vibrated way too much to give a decent view.

I have rear view mirrors (brake hood or outer handlebar depending on
bike type) on all four of my bikes. I consider them a necessity for
riding the road.

Only one of the four vibrate much, but none to the point of not getting
a clear enough view astern.

SMH

Old June 1st 07, 08:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Bob in CT[_2_]

On Fri, 01 Jun 2007 13:57:14 -0400, Booker C. Bense
. stanford.edu wrote:

In article ,
David L. Johnson wrote:
Booker C. Bense wrote:

_ I like this one a lot, for me it works better than anything
else I've tried and I've tried a lot of things over the years.

http://tinyurl.com/287ymq

If the URL doesn't work just search for "italian bike mirror" on
Ebay.

I remember seeing these when they came out, but they seem to no longer
be available commercially. Is there anywhere to get them aside from
ebay?

As far as I know Aspire Velotech is the only importer and you can
order from them directly if you wish. They have always
be available on Ebay when I wanted one or looked to refer other
people. Ebay seems to be their "store".

_ Booker C. Bense

That is cool. Thanks.

--
Bob in CT
Old June 1st 07, 09:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Roger Zoul

Pat wrote:
:: The Take-a-Look eyeglass mirror is the best one on the market. It's
:: rock solid with no vibration.

I use Take-a-Look.

Old June 1st 07, 10:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Zoot Katz

On Fri, 01 Jun 2007 17:33:17 -0000, "
wrote:

On Jun 1, 6:34 am, Will wrote:
On May 31, 9:44 pm, "Rich Clark" wrote:

Using a glasses-mount mirror works the same way, except that during the act
of turning your head both the sightline and the mirror are in motion.

AND... this is a great benefit because you can "scan" very
effectively, creating a wide field-of-vision simply by moving your
head an inch or two.

Very true. One precaution is that with an eyeglass or helmet mirror
you are viewing mostly with one eye so your depth perception is not
what it should be.

On my commute home there is a multi-lane road where I need to move
over one lane to avoid taking an offramp. The road also curves at
that point. My mirror is not sufficient, especially at night, to
determine if an approaching car is in the right or second-from-right
lane. I have to turn my head and look.

Don't trust the mirror reflection with your safety.

After the mirror view indicates there's an opening, I turn my head to
make certain anyway. Usually the mirror just adds images what my ears
are already telling me.

I do frequent shoulder checks as a habit. There's never been a
problem turning my head while riding in traffic.

After the second break, repair, lose, break, repair cycle with a
helmet mounted "Third-Eye" mirror I left in the drawer with the
cyclo-puter.

Too many distractions.
--
zk
Old June 1st 07, 10:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Zoot Katz

On Fri, 1 Jun 2007 16:05:54 -0400, "Roger Zoul"
wrote:

Even with a mirror....I turn my head and look. The mirror gives me advance
knowledge and an overall view of what's behind, but that look happens right
before the turn...as a backup and as a good habit.

It's even a good idea to do regular right shoulder checks, especially
before stopping or leaving a stop.
--
zk
Old June 2nd 07, 12:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Pat[_3_]

Even with a mirror....I turn my head and look. The mirror gives me
advance
knowledge and an overall view of what's behind, but that look happens
right
before the turn...as a backup and as a good habit.

It's even a good idea to do regular right shoulder checks, especially
before stopping or leaving a stop.
--
zk

I have practiced and practiced that, but I still swerve to the left a bit
every time...right into traffic.

Pat in TX

how to install bar end mirror (mtb type handle bars)? John Q. Public Techniques 3 October 19th 06 03:31 AM
Mirror Russell UK 48 March 16th 06 11:14 PM
Mirror, mirror, on the bar... SteppenW Australia 27 February 20th 06 02:35 AM
a new mirror Paul Nevai Techniques 12 September 23rd 04 02:44 AM
Mirror? Nartker General 3 May 19th 04 06:41 AM