I miss Jobst

Old May 24th 11, 01:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tºm Shermªn™ °_°[_2_]

Default OT - Conditions for Thinking

On 5/23/2011 12:45 AM, Çhâlõ Çólîñã wrote:
T+m Sherm/n wrote:

A. Muzi wrote:

T m Sherm n _ wrote:

And notice how most of the scientific and industrial advancements came
from places where it was cool enough to think properly.

Osaka? Houston?

What ever came out of Houston in the pre-air-conditioning era?

Petroleum products. Evil smells.

Chalo

Better than Tom DeLay. Of course, maybe DeLay is an evil smelling
petroleum product.

--
Tºm Shermªn - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.
Old May 24th 11, 01:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tºm Shermªn™ °_°[_2_]

Default OT - Diesel Luxury

On 5/23/2011 11:46 AM, Ron Ruff wrote:
On May 22, 2:46�pm, Frank wrote:
He was very pleased with the fuel mileage, but never with the level of
luxury, etc. in the vehicle. �His complaint was always "Why do they
assume that everyone who buys an efficient car wants it to be cheap?"
He said he'd gladly pay more to get better soundproofing, more
comfortable seats, better climate control, etc.

Then buy a Mercedes diesel...

Or even a current VW diesel, which are much more luxurious than the Golf
I (aka Rabbit) of 3-3½ decades ago.

Old May 24th 11, 02:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

T∅m Sherm⊄n wrote:
Ron Ruff wrote:

Then buy a Mercedes diesel...

Or even a current VW diesel, which are much more luxurious than the Golf
I (aka Rabbit) of 3-3½ decades ago.

I am told that 21st century VWs are some of the most quickly self-
composting cars ever made. I understand that one of their most common
failures is locking the owner out of the gas tank when the fuel door
release mechanism breaks.

At some point, it no longer matters how good and efficient an engine
is, if it is wrapped in a vehicle without a will to live.

Chalo
Old May 24th 11, 05:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On May 23, 9:46Â*pm, Chalo wrote:
T∅m Sherm⊄n wrote:
Ron Ruff wrote:

Then buy a Mercedes diesel...

Or even a current VW diesel, which are much more luxurious than the Golf
I (aka Rabbit) of 3-3½ decades ago.

I am told that 21st century VWs are some of the most quickly self-
composting cars ever made. Â*I understand that one of their most common
failures is locking the owner out of the gas tank when the fuel door
release mechanism breaks.

At some point, it no longer matters how good and efficient an engine
is, if it is wrapped in a vehicle without a will to live.

I have the same impression about VWs. But I must admit, I buy cars so
seldom that I don't consider myself an expert. (One of our cars is a
2004 bought new, the other is a 1990 bought used, on which I've
averaged just 4000 miles per year for something like 15 years.)

But car reliability is one topic I think Consumer Reports handles
well. Rather than relying on their "experts" or their sometimes shaky
testing, they poll thousands of subscribers about their actual
experience with cars they own, in detail. Picking cars by reference
to their poll results, shown in their annual car issue, has worked
well for us.

- Frank Krygowski
Old May 24th 11, 06:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tºm Shermªn™ °_°[_2_]

Default OT - Rolling Excrement

On 5/23/2011 8:46 PM, Çhâlõ Çólîñã wrote:
T∅m Sherm⊄n wrote:
Ron Ruff wrote:

Then buy a Mercedes diesel...

Or even a current VW diesel, which are much more luxurious than the Golf
I (aka Rabbit) of 3-3½ decades ago.

I am told that 21st century VWs are some of the most quickly self-
composting cars ever made. I understand that one of their most common
failures is locking the owner out of the gas tank when the fuel door
release mechanism breaks.

The 1975 Plymouth Gran Fury we inherited had rear doors that only opened
from the outside and front doors that only opened from the inside at
less than 5 years of age. There were also air leaks around the door
handles since the car was new. In addition, the first engine (360 c.i.
V8) failed at 10K miles, and the second engine at 90K miles (rod
bearing), despite normal oil change intervals and never being run hard.
The front seat on the driver's side was shot by this time [1]. The
body panels rusted through so much that the trunk (with a lumpy floor
that limited usefulness) was no longer usable after 6 years. And the
engine would often stall after running just enough to get the car out
into the intersection.

And of course, the car was ugly, space inefficient, slow [2], poor
handling, and a fuel hog [3] from the day it came off the assembly line.

Wonder how all the Mopar heads feel about Chrysler only being able to
survive by being twice put on corporate welfare at taxpayer expense,
then the carcass being sold to FIAT?

At some point, it no longer matters how good and efficient an engine
is, if it is wrapped in a vehicle without a will to live.

I still get a creepy feeling when I see the odd surviving 1970's
"Detroit" full size sedan or coupe - like seeing a crocodile close up.

[1] By comparison, the driver's seat on my 1994 Civic looked almost new
after 11 years and 160K miles.
[2] A miserable 155 hp @ 3600 rpm [4] and a middling 275 lb-ft @ 2000
rpm from a 5.9L engine.
[3] 10 to 13 MPG in real world use.
[4] A contemporary Honda CVCC engine scaled up to similar displacement
would have put out more than 250 hp.

Old May 24th 11, 02:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
N8N

On May 23, 9:46Â*pm, Chalo wrote:
T∅m Sherm⊄n wrote:
Ron Ruff wrote:

Then buy a Mercedes diesel...

Or even a current VW diesel, which are much more luxurious than the Golf
I (aka Rabbit) of 3-3½ decades ago.

I am told that 21st century VWs are some of the most quickly self-
composting cars ever made. Â*I understand that one of their most common
failures is locking the owner out of the gas tank when the fuel door
release mechanism breaks.

At some point, it no longer matters how good and efficient an engine
is, if it is wrapped in a vehicle without a will to live.

Chalo

I can't speak for the newest ones, but I think that the mid-80s
through early 2000s VWs are possibly some of the most highly
underrated (and durable) cars of those eras. They got a horrible rap
while I've had nothing but excellent luck with many examples of each.
And yes, I considered my '02 GTI to be very luxurious, they did a
great job "upscaling" the A4 models. I considered that car to be more
of a small GT than a "hot hatch" like my '84 (A1) GTI that I'd had
before. Both great cars but very different personalities, really
sharing only the engine block and the nameplate.

nate
Old May 24th 11, 04:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ron Ruff

Default OT - False Flag

On May 22, 6:53*pm, john B. wrote:

The difference in traffic flow between all SUV's and all small cars
would not be a dramatic as you think. The next time you stop at a
light behind a line of cars watch their brake lights. The major slow
down isn't the length of each car it is the delay time from the time
one car starts to move until the next moves.

Narrower cars... need narrower lanes. And small simple cars are less
likely to be driven long distances.

Volkswagen was the first maker to try a "small car" and while they did
very well selling in the U.S. they certainly didn't take over the
market and even today, with high energy costs, the BIG cars still sell
very, very well. Which leads one to the idea that there is reasons
other then efficient use of energy for buying a certain car. Like
keeping up with the Jones, for example.

I gave all the completely sensible reasons earlier for why we have
huge vehicles. If we want small and efficient cars, and a safe place
to use them, then it must be legislated. Check out this website for
many examples of small and light cars from back in the day:
http://microcarmuseum.com/tour/fiat-multipla.html

Don't get too overheated. Of course I'm aware of energy grids and peak
load leveling and the other schemes the power companies use to supply
electricity as required, but tripling loads in a short time (I think
10 years was the suggested time in the article) it would be extremely
costly and probably in L.A. impossible to accomplish city wide within
a reasonable time.

All of his premises were wrong. Cars with 300mpge will not crash the
grid.

It is easy to say "New Technology" but usually quite another thing to
actually implement it.

There really isn't any technical obstacle. It's political.
Old May 25th 11, 01:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
john B.

On Tue, 24 May 2011 08:10:12 -0700 (PDT), Ron Ruff
wrote:

On May 22, 6:53*pm, john B. wrote:

The difference in traffic flow between all SUV's and all small cars
would not be a dramatic as you think. The next time you stop at a
light behind a line of cars watch their brake lights. The major slow
down isn't the length of each car it is the delay time from the time
one car starts to move until the next moves.

Narrower cars... need narrower lanes. And small simple cars are less
likely to be driven long distances.

Small simple cars... does this imply that people will purchase a
second car for the trips?

Narrow cars... Are you saying that roads will be too narrow to allow
trucks to navigate them or will be have swarms of mini-trucks also?

Volkswagen was the first maker to try a "small car" and while they did
very well selling in the U.S. they certainly didn't take over the
market and even today, with high energy costs, the BIG cars still sell
very, very well. Which leads one to the idea that there is reasons
other then efficient use of energy for buying a certain car. Like
keeping up with the Jones, for example.

I gave all the completely sensible reasons earlier for why we have
huge vehicles. If we want small and efficient cars, and a safe place
to use them, then it must be legislated. Check out this website for
many examples of small and light cars from back in the day:
http://microcarmuseum.com/tour/fiat-multipla.html

I was alive and kicking back in the day. The Fiat 600 and the Mini
were immensely popular while all the others were relegated to the "I
wouldn't want one of those" category. Strange that whoever made the
list neglected to nominate the VW Bug which was the really popular
tiny car.

Don't get too overheated. Of course I'm aware of energy grids and peak
load leveling and the other schemes the power companies use to supply
electricity as required, but tripling loads in a short time (I think
10 years was the suggested time in the article) it would be extremely
costly and probably in L.A. impossible to accomplish city wide within
a reasonable time.

All of his premises were wrong. Cars with 300mpge will not crash the
grid.

Oh? Do these vehicles run on moon beams and never need to be
recharged. I once worked for a bit in the power generating plant on a
medium sized air base. You could see the load ramp up when people woke
up in the morning and turned the lights on.

It is easy to say "New Technology" but usually quite another thing to
actually implement it.

There really isn't any technical obstacle. It's political.

As I pointed out above. Small cars have been sold in the U.S. both the
Fiat 600 and the Volkswagen Bug come to mind and while they both sold
in quantities they never "took over the market".

Your political solution,"Vote for ME and I will ensure that large evil
cars will be banished from the road" is not a campaign promise that
would tend to get a bloke elected in America.

Old May 30th 11, 12:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Helmut Springer

Default OT - Fair and Living Wages

AMuzi wrote:
Lead battery terminals oxidize the same as they ever did so if you
want the thing to work at minus 30C an annual September cleaning
is indicated.

Interestingly that seems not to be the case in all parts of the
world...

--
MfG/Best regards
helmut springer panta rhei

Jobst Phil H Techniques 83 July 13th 11 12:53 AM
Jobst- we mightl never know Cicero Venatio Racing 8 February 12th 11 09:23 AM
When Jobst ... Steve Freides[_2_] Techniques 1 January 20th 11 10:28 PM
Jobst Brad Anders Racing 20 January 19th 11 06:31 PM
Jobst TriGuru55x11 Rides 1 January 19th 11 02:13 PM