Bent Eggbeaters

Old August 28th 03, 12:48 PM
Kathleen

Default Bent Eggbeaters

A riding buddy of Dan's recently brought his Eggbeater pedals into work
and asked him to see if they could be fixed. Seems he'd crashed back on
the Blue Ribbon trail and bent the hell out of them. Now this is a
strong, athletic guy, an experienced rider and racer but not a
clydesdale by any definition. He's also a veteran of many wrecks, yet
never managed to bend a pair of Times or SPDs.
After examining the pedals, Dan declined to make any attempt to fix
them - said that they never should have bent like that in the first
place, and that forcing them back into shape isn't going to fix the
underlying problem, and that he personally would never trust those
particular pedals again. Dan believes that the pedals were improperly
heat-treated to begin with, and encouraged his buddy to contact the LBS
and/or manufacturer as this is almost certainly a warranty matter.
Anybody else heard of any similar problems with these pedals?

Kathleen

Old August 28th 03, 04:15 PM
Chris

"Kathleen" wrote in message
[...]

The only problem I've ever had with 'beaters was solved with another
greasing of the axle...what bent on this guy's pedal? The cage, or the
axle? Do you have a picture? I'm just interested to see what a messed up
'beater looks like.

Crank Bros. is an outstanding company for customer service, he shouldn't
have any problems with them. Of course, bending a pedal in a crash isn't
exactly a JRA situation...

Chris

Old August 28th 03, 04:21 PM
slartibartfast

Crank Bros. is an outstanding company for customer service, he shouldn't
have any problems with them. Of course, bending a pedal in a crash isn't
exactly a JRA situation...

A freind of mine broke one of the cage wings when he mashed the pedal on a
rock, sent it to Crank Bros. and had a new set of 'beaters by weeks end, no
questions.

Old August 28th 03, 06:40 PM
Kathleen

James Messick wrote:
"Kathleen" wrote in message

[...]

No. I'm just wondering how he managed to bend both of them at the same time.

My bad. Dan said he brought both pedals in, but only one was damaged.
It was the axle that was bent - seriously bent (sorry, no pix). And he
isn't especially anxious to send them in for warranty work, either -
says he's been wanting to try a pair of Times anyhow.

Kathleen
Things that make you go "Hmmmm....."

Old August 28th 03, 06:44 PM
Bob M

On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 12:40:40 -0500, Kathleen wrote:

James Messick wrote:
"Kathleen" wrote in message

[...]

Times are good. I recommend the ones with the cage, but I click out often
(although I have both with and without the cage).

--
Bob M in CT
Remove 'x.' to reply
Old August 29th 03, 01:23 AM
David Kunz

Steve wrote:
"slartibartfast" wrote in message

Crank Bros. is an outstanding company for customer service, he shouldn't
have any problems with them. Of course, bending a pedal in a crash

isn't

exactly a JRA situation...

A freind of mine broke one of the cage wings when he mashed the pedal on a
rock, sent it to Crank Bros. and had a new set of 'beaters by weeks end,

no

questions.

My LBS won't sell them anymore... said they had at least 5 people come in
with the same problem. They recommended me not to get them, although I'm
seriously considering purchasing a pair from Performance. (They ahve a 100%
satisfaction guaranteed policy, so if you buy something and just plain dont
like it after a few months you can return it for a full refund). Can't go
wrong there....

Steve

What year? They thinned the spindle this year to drop a couple of grams
-- I wonder it that's what did it?

David

Old August 29th 03, 05:59 PM
D T W .../\\...

"Kathleen" wrote in message
[...]

I'm no metallurgist, but I thought that the spindles are made of a
stainless steel. Not sure that type of metal is very much heat treatable
for strength / property gains.

If you bash a metal rod into a rock it will fail.

--
DTW .../\.../\.../\...

I've spent most of my money on mountain biking and windsurfing.
The rest I've just wasted.

Old September 2nd 03, 01:17 AM
Bill Wheeler

On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 06:48:54 -0500, Kathleen
wrote:

[snip bound to happen scenario]
Anybody else heard of any similar problems with these pedals?

Kathleen

Of course I don't have these pedals, but I was saying a while ago that
just from the look of the design that these things can possibly be as
durable as Times or the various styles of Shimano SPD's.

Also, looks like those eggbeaters can't get hooked up on various
things.

I wouldn't trust them.

Peace,
Bill

The mind serves properly as a window glass rather
than as a reflector, that is, the mind should give
:-]
Old September 2nd 03, 01:45 PM
Tom Walker

wrote:

[snip bound to happen scenario]
Anybody else heard of any similar problems with these pedals?

Kathleen

Of course I don't have these pedals, but I was saying a while ago that
just from the look of the design that these things can possibly be as
durable as Times or the various styles of Shimano SPD's.

Also, looks like those eggbeaters can't get hooked up on various
things.

Gotta chime in here with my $.02 on the beaters. I got a couple pair
at the beginning of this year because the club I'm in got a great deal
on last year's models. I started off using Shimano pedals but since
I'm less than graceful on the bike I kept getting pedals to the shins.
The wonderful "can-opener" design of the Shimanos took one too many
skin samples from me so I switched to Times.

Times were great except that my riding style (bashing rocks with my
pedals more than I'd like to) destroyed the pedals in a season. The
plastice plates popped off. Also, when I would bump a rock with the
underside of the pedal, it would force it to release. Super annoying.

I was worrying that I would wreck the beaters by clipping rocks but
after a season, I have not found that to be the case. They're similar
to Times in their engage/release but don't have the extra plastic
bits. The fact that their four sided makes them really easy to get
into too. I know a lot of folks who have them and have yet to hear a
complaint. In fact, the only people I hear a complaint from are folks
who don't have them.

Old September 2nd 03, 04:04 PM
Jimbo(san)

Tom Walker wrote: I was worrying that I would wreck the beaters by
clipping rocks but after a season, I have not found that to be the case.
They're similar to Times in their engage/release but don't have the
extra plastic bits. The fact that their four sided makes them really
easy to get into too. I know a lot of folks who have them and have yet
to hear a complaint. In fact, the only people I hear a complaint from
are folks who don't have them.

I was more concerned about the lack of a platform and hot spots more
than a durablity issue with the eggbeater. I have used Times for years
now and not really had any issues with them as far as durability. Of
course I don't use the Carbons... Which I believe do not take punishment
well. Interesting to see that the eggbeaters have now added 2 pedals to
their line with platforms.. I guess it's an issue they have addressed.
We have since tried the Time Z pedals. I really think it is an
improvement to their design.

Jimbo(san)