Sheldon Brown's Camera

Old February 22nd 12, 05:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Ryan Cousineau

Default Sheldon Brown's Camera

On Feb 19, 3:12*pm, Anton Berlin wrote:
Sure it's not as snobby as my Leicas, and it's not as convenient as my
Nex7 and the glass isn't as good as the later German lenses that each
cost more than a top of the line Pinarello but I am loving the hell
out of my Contax IIIa with Zeiss Sonnar - just like Sheldon felt about
his.

I used to do darkroom work in high school, and grew up shooting match-
needle metered pictures with several Pentax Spotmatic bodies and a few
odd other M45 SLRs, plus some very occasional work with the school's
120-size TLR (a Yashica, maybe?).

I still really enjoy playing with old manual k-mount lenses on my new
toy, but except as charming mechanical artifacts, I'm willing to never
play with film cameras again. Reasonable people may disagree.

http://sheldonbrown.org/cameras/contax-iiia.html

I miss Sheldon - damn good guy.

It's wonderful how enduring his online legacy has been. I still use
his gear calculator a lot (notably since I started racing track: we
have category gear restrictions), and Harris seems to have done a good
job of lightly updating his pages as needed. Even after this many
years he's contributing useful knowledge. I'm not sure how important
it is to be remembered, but he is, and fondly.
Old February 27th 12, 11:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
RicodJour[_2_]

On Feb 22, 12:16*pm, Ryan Cousineau wrote:
On Feb 19, 3:12*pm, Anton Berlin wrote:

I miss Sheldon - damn good guy.

It's wonderful how enduring his online legacy has been. I still use
his gear calculator a lot (notably since I started racing track: we
have category gear restrictions), and Harris seems to have done a good
job of lightly updating his pages as needed. Even after this many
years he's contributing useful knowledge. I'm not sure how important
it is to be remembered, but he is, and fondly.

I only wish that we had the technology to record his brain and put it
in an indestructible robot body. His character, like his bike
knowledge, was larger than life.

And on topic - photography is good and I'm glad they brought back
Polaroid film.

Old February 28th 12, 09:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Anton Berlin

I only wish that we had the technology to record his brain and put it
in an indestructible robot body. His character, like his bike
knowledge, was larger than life.

Agreed - where's Steve Martin when we really need him ?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085894/