Help in replacing drivetrain

Old September 14th 05, 01:37 PM
Feris

Default Help in replacing drivetrain

I have a Schwinn Crisscross ATB circa 1992 that has Suntour deraillers,
shifters and cassette along with Joytech hubs. Cleaning the hubs revealed
severe pitting in the cones and I'm having a hard time finding the correct
replacement pieces. In addition the cassete cogs on the smaller gears skip
badly and I assume the chain needs replacing as well. I guess I just need
to replace the entire drivetrain including the hubs and wheels!? It looks
to be getting pricey quickly! Is this the most cost effective option?

If so, is there a guide/tips to replacing a drivetrain, including matching
wheels and hubs/freewheel, crank, etc? I'm lost as to finding what hubs
work with which cassettes which work with which derailler which work with
which shifters etc. By the way the shifters are NOS Suntours - can they be
reused? I don't want top shelf components as this bike is meant more as a
beater and experimention type thing.

Cheers!
Duke

Old September 14th 05, 03:52 PM
David L. Johnson

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 07:37:51 -0500, Feris wrote:

I have a Schwinn Crisscross ATB circa 1992 that has Suntour deraillers,
shifters and cassette along with Joytech hubs. Cleaning the hubs revealed
severe pitting in the cones and I'm having a hard time finding the correct
replacement pieces.

Really? Unless these are very unusual hubs, replacement cones should be
easy to find and cheap. Replacing the hubs themselves is a lot more work,
which I would not bother with unless the cups, not just the cones, were
shot. If they are close to standard, get some inexpensive replacements
hubs and try the cones & axles out of them.

In addition the cassete cogs on the smaller
gears skip
badly and I assume the chain needs replacing as well.

Well, probably the skipping comes from a chain in sore need of replacing.
But a worn chain will accelerate wear of the sprockets, so probably that
cassette is gone. Biggest finiancial concern would be the chainrings, so
try first without replacing those.

I guess I just
need to replace the entire drivetrain including the hubs and wheels!? It
looks to

Usually not. If the wheels are otherwise in good shape, try to just
replace the cones as above.

If so, is there a guide/tips to replacing a drivetrain, including
matching wheels and hubs/freewheel, crank, etc?

I never match anything if I can avoid it... Most drivetrain components
are pretty generic. The exception is the match between indexed shifters
and their derailleurs. Usually, there, the only need is to match the
brand and the number of rear sprockets. You don't even always have to
match the brand, but it's safer that way.

By the way the shifters are NOS
Suntours - can they be reused?

Sure, with Suntour derailleurs, or with friction shifting (not
click-shifting) and any derailleurs.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | It is a scientifically proven fact that a mid life crisis can
_`\(,_ | only be cured by something racy and Italian. Bianchis and
(_)/ (_) | Colnagos are a lot cheaper than Maserattis and Ferraris. --
Glenn Davies