Do you clean a new chain?

Old August 21st 04, 02:01 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

trevor 2 pounds 30 pence in 1985 BRBR

So the last time you serviced your chain was 1985? I'm confused....

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com
Old August 21st 04, 09:45 PM
Trevor Jeffrey

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote in message
trevor 2 pounds 30 pence in 1985 BRBR

So the last time you serviced your chain was 1985? I'm confused....

So that means it will be 2022 I'll do it next. Nice proposition.

It would be advisable to read my posts on this thread in isolation and in
their entirety, in one sitting, and then you would be unlikely to make such
a mistake as to become confused.

Trevor

Old August 22nd 04, 02:47 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

trevor- It would be advisable to read my posts on this thread in isolation
and in
their entirety, in one sitting, and then you would be unlikely to make such
a mistake as to become confused. BRBR

Don think I'll do that.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com
Old August 22nd 04, 05:43 PM
Rico X. Partay

"Trevor Jeffrey" wrote in message

It would be advisable to read my posts
on this thread in isolation and in
their entirety, in one sitting....

I think I'd rather have a root canal.

Old August 23rd 04, 06:43 PM
g.daniels

i wondered about this back when.
its legitmate to question what fork to take.
the answer is and the question is asked often: how cold is it? the
stuff is grease and greased chains in michigan are counterproductive.
so add epic cc to the grease
wait for a good downwind
and fly!!
Old August 28th 04, 02:17 PM
Art Harris

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

What Herrr Jobst has not done is install chains on bikes in der bike

shop,
with the gunk all over them and see how dirty they get in such a short amount
of time. Myth and lore, from his livingroom I guess, but contrary to this 'tale from the bike shop'...

Is there really a significant difference between what you and Jobst
suggest? He says wipe off the excess and install. You say wipe off the
excess (after spraying with WD-40) and install.

I do the latter. Just wiping with a dry rag leaves the chain too
sticky, and it quickly gets covered with grit.

Also, is it my imagination or are modern Shimano chains _much_
stickier when new that chains in the past. I used to use Sedisport
chains in the 6-speed era, and don't remember them being so sticky.

BTW, I recently cleaned and lubed my very dirty HG-53 chain. After
getting it squeaky clean and dry, I immersed it in a coffee can with
motor oil. After letting it sit a while, I slowly removed the chain,
letting the excess drip off, and finally wiped the outside dry with a
clean rag. Installation on the bike was not messy at all. I'm hoping
that the immersion method will ensure that the oil gets where it's
supposd to be (on the inside). So far so good.

Art Harris