Upgrade to a bomb prof racing/training wheel

Old August 28th 04, 01:59 PM
big Pete

Default Upgrade to a bomb prof racing/training wheel

daveornee Wrote:
Andrew is also very knowledgable about your vintage Bianchi... so as
him for the whole story.

Frame respacing is quite easily done on steel framed bicycles. Yo
likely already looked at Sheldon Brown's article on the subject, bu
here is this link:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/frame-spacing.html

Taking apart Shimano cassettes to respace them is possible.... and
did it a few times, but it takes time and care.
If you put loose cogs and spacers on a cassette body the body ridge
distort more because the pedaling forces are not distributed over
greater surface area.

For spacing, Sheldon Brown also has a handy table that includes space
and sprocket thickness of various brands, years, numbers, etc. at URL:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/k7.html#spacing

Although I have never done it, it appears that you could get Suntou
4.8 + 5.0 mm spacings by using a combination of Shimano 8 speed and
speed cogs and spacers on a HG cassette body.

All that said, if it were my bicycle, I would lean heavily toward
spreading to 130 mm and going with Shimano 8/9/10 speed HG compatibl
cassette hub.
You can then choose between down-tube shifter, bar end shifter, o
STI.

I think you are in for a new wheel no matter which way you go. It i
now a matter of considering the other costs for cassette, chain, an
shifter.

Hi again,

I think I have found a solution. I played with the shifters on my bik
a few nights ago and made the back into friction mode. I have als
sourced some shimano frehubs with 125mm over locknut dimensions so
think this is the direction I am leaning too. What do you think o
this?

Thanks

Pet

--
big Pete

Old August 28th 04, 03:04 PM
daveornee

big Pete Wrote:
Hi again,

I think I have found a solution. I played with the shifters on my bik
a few nights ago and made the back into friction mode. I have als
sourced some shimano frehubs with 125mm over locknut dimensions so
think this is the direction I am leaning too. What do you think o
this?

Thanks

Pete

Just make sure the Shimano hub has HG splines on the cassette body.
There seems to be a good supply of Shimano HG 7 speed cassette
available. You could also use UG cassettes on an HG cassette body, bu
you can't used HG cassettes on a UG body. Yes, you can swap out the U
body and transplant a HG body, but it sure is easier and probably les
expensive to start with what you want. HG body has one spline that i
narrower than the rest.
I have Shimano 105 HG 32 hole 126 mm OLD hubs that I use on my ol
carbon fiber bicycle. I also put 8 of 9 cogs from a 9 speed 10
cassette on to see how it would work. It works fine with a 9 spee
chain and shifter, but I went back to the 7 speed HG set up and am wel
pleased

--
daveornee

New bicycle idea Bob Marley General 49 October 7th 04 05:20 AM
Spoke Over-Tension and Drifting Wheel Alignment mCrux Techniques 6 August 25th 04 04:29 PM
Attaching rear wheel Roger Zoul General 10 October 21st 03 11:35 AM
MA3 rim failure, where to now B Techniques 258 October 10th 03 08:46 PM
Rear wheel building questions Antti Salonen Techniques 4 July 15th 03 08:42 PM