Velodrome Ettiquette....

Old November 9th 03, 06:18 AM
Andrew Morris

Default Velodrome Ettiquette....

Is it just me, or do velodromes seem to attract morons?

I was at my local one (Carnegie) this afternoon to smack down some laps in a
spare hour or so, and found myself constantly dodging kids on scooters, and
another couple of kids on BMX's going up and down, up and down, in the
opposite direction.

I spoke to the parent of the kids on the BMX's and asked if he could get
them to at least ride anticlockwise, to be told to go **** myself, and where
did I expect them to ride? After explaining that all I was asking, is that
he have his kids go anticlockwise, and to not make themselves a target, the
body language started getting nasty, and rather than give cyclists a bad
name, I decided to leave, having only done 30 of the 50 laps I had
intended...

I don't suppose there is any other way of approaching this really, is there?

I had no issue with them being there, just wanted to ensure they were safe
from me, (doing 35 km/h) and vice versa...

Old November 9th 03, 10:24 AM
Paulus

The children should be taught proper ettiquette regardless of where they
ride. The parents should properly educate their progeny. Unfortunately,
morons seem to outnumber the rest of us.

Perhaps ride at a different time on this veledrome. Would incorrect use of
the track be a club, council or law enforcement issue?

Old November 10th 03, 02:07 AM
hippy

"Andrew Morris" wrote in message
I had no issue with them being there, just wanted to ensure they were

safe
from me, (doing 35 km/h) and vice versa...

Meh.. next time just don the body armour and take
one of 'em out! ;-)

Maybe the velodrome needs a list of rules sign
posted nearby? i.e. "Ride anti-clockwise or go
directly to jail, do not pass go"?

hippy

Old November 10th 03, 07:06 AM
Richard Sherratt

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 02:07:15 GMT, "hippy"
wrote:

"Andrew Morris" wrote in message
u...
I had no issue with them being there, just wanted to ensure they were

safe
from me, (doing 35 km/h) and vice versa...

Meh.. next time just don the body armour and take
one of 'em out! ;-)

I've seen someone do that. By accident, of course :-) Big bloke. Track
sprinter type. Doing about 40 on an old steel (Bob) Farleigh track
bike. This is not a lightweight combination :-) T-boned a kid who did
a 90 degree R-H turn right in front of him. Not a pretty sight. The
kid had been warned. Nobody seriously hurt, but the kid could have
been killed.

Maybe the velodrome needs a list of rules sign
posted nearby? i.e. "Ride anti-clockwise or go
directly to jail, do not pass go"?

The one I ride on used to have signs like that at both entrances. (One
sign seems to have disappeared.) It doesn't stop the weavers and the
exit-from-the-insiders. It also says not to use the velodrome while
the next-door hockey pitches are in use. Riiight :-)

I've found that a quiet word with the kids works better than talking
to the parents. I'll slow down and have a chat and mention the rules
in passing. Explain how the experts do it :-) It doesn't work with all
of them. 9-14 year old (guessing) boys seem to be the worst. Then stay
alert. You can't afford to get too worked up if they use the inside of
the track instead of obeying the slow riders use the outside rule.
Some of them need to work up the courage to use the outside. Expect
kids to behave unpredictably. Expect them to exit from the left.
They're not going to be there for long.

Heh. The worst I had was a couple of years ago in July or August. Cold
and damp. It was a Friday, and the local Melbourne Uni Private was
having a sports afternoon. A hundred or so foreign students with about
3 or 4 teachers descended on the velodrome. They didn't seem to want
to get on the grass, so they were all congregated on one straight,
milling around aimlessly and keeping their feet dry. Meanwhile I came
round the bend doing 55 km/h with my head down and my pulse off the
clock. I heard a noise ahead of me and lifted my head. Oh fuvg!
Emergency brakes! I bumped a few of them at slow speed and carried on.
I was too ohttrerq to speak. I cruised round for another lap, thinking
they would get the message and get off the track. Nope. One more lap
at slow speed. Still there milling around. I looked for someone in
authority. I wasn't going to go ballistic, so I asked "Are you in
charge here?", thinking I was going to explain that this is a
velodrome. You know. Bikes. Not for walking. Etc. So when he said
"Shpx off and get a life", I was somewhat surprised.

Regards,
Richard.

Old November 10th 03, 07:51 AM
Steve Hubbard

Default Velodrome Etiquette....

On 9/11/03 5:18 PM, in article
, "Andrew Morris"
wrote:

[...]

Write to the local councillor or parliamentarian and ask them to move a bill
that outlaws inbreeding.

Old November 20th 03, 07:45 AM
Andrew Morris

Yeah, but how to "police" it? I've NEVER seen anyone at Carnegie from the
club....

"Jess" wrote in message
Been there before. (we use the the same velodrome)
Perhaps there should be some kind of age limit on there...(unless its a
junior on a roadie)

"Richard Sherratt" wrote in
message ...

Old November 20th 03, 09:48 PM
Richard Sherratt

On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 16:06:39 +1100, "Jess" wrote:

Been there before. (we use the the same velodrome)

Say g'day next time. Yellow, black and pearl grey Scapin pro-team,
Wound-up carbon forks (the straight, round ones).

Perhaps there should be some kind of age limit on there...(unless its a
junior on a roadie)

I don't think it would be worth it. Who's going to enforce it?
Besides, it's hardly ever a problem. Just have to postpone doing
sprints for a while. I could be wrong.

Regards,
Richard.