Moving to Ergo

Old August 22nd 04, 04:03 AM
WTD

Default Moving to Ergo

Time to abandon my 7 speed, bar end shifting Shimano set up on my old
Trek 2120 in favor of modern brake/shifter levers. I recently had to
replace the rear wheel with so I have a 8/9 speed hub currently
running the 7 speed cassette with a spacer.

I greatly prefer the ergonomics of the Campy shifters over Shimano STI
so my plan is to get Campagnolo Centaur 9s shifters, a Veloce long
cage rder, and a 9s Ultegra cassette. I understand that this
combination should work, but am having some doubts for the following
reasons:

1. Campy is rapidly phasing out 9 speed (I would be buying '03 Centaur
to get the 9 speed version), with Shimano presumably to follow over
the next few years. I wonder if I would be better off getting 10
speed Ergos with an adapter to run a 9 speed cassette for now. I
don't particularly care about 10 speed vs. 9 speed but I do care about
parts availability and options over the long term. Should I be
concerned?

2. In researching Shimagnolo adapter options I have run across some
claims that while running 9s Ergo with a Campy rder and 9s Shimano hub
will work OK up to a point, it would still be better to use a
conversion cassette or something like the Shiftmate
(http://www.jtekengineering.com/shiftmate.htm) to get the best
possible shifting. Is that true or am I worrying too much? The
Shiftmate is relatively inexpensive (presuming it works) but
conversion cassettes are not. Cost is an issue, but I don't wan't to
come out of this with mediocre shifting. Any advice or direct
experiences with these options would be appreciated.
Old August 22nd 04, 04:24 AM
David Reuteler

WTD wrote:
2. In researching Shimagnolo adapter options I have run across some
claims that while running 9s Ergo with a Campy rder and 9s Shimano hub
will work OK up to a point, it would still be better to use a
conversion cassette or something like the Shiftmate
(http://www.jtekengineering.com/shiftmate.htm) to get the best
possible shifting. Is that true or am I worrying too much? The
Shiftmate is relatively inexpensive (presuming it works) but
conversion cassettes are not. Cost is an issue, but I don't wan't to
come out of this with mediocre shifting. Any advice or direct
experiences with these options would be appreciated.

worry a bit .. i ran 9sp campag shifters with a 9sp shimano hub and it drove
me nuts. after about 6 weeks (of pop can shims and lots of tinkering) i
sold the wheel and built up a campag rear wheel. other people claim it's
the same, i dunno. ymmv really seems to apply here.

but that shiftmate looks pretty interesting. the conversion cassettes are
amazingly expensive and i didn't even consider them as an option. $40 for
the shiftmate i probably would have tried.
--
david reuteler

Old August 22nd 04, 04:46 AM
jim beam

David Reuteler wrote:
WTD wrote:

[...]

interesting. i don't notice much difference between the campy cassette
& the shimano cassette on the same bike. _but_ i /do/ notice a
difference between my record & veloce with a shimano cassette - the
record sucks, even when i use a shimano chain. the veloce is slick &
clean every time, just like a shimano shift. the record has sucked from
day one. the type of cassette doesn't seem to make a whit of
difference, provided the right chain is used. gotta use shimano with
shimano.

Old August 22nd 04, 12:26 PM
Tim McTeague

"WTD" wrote in message
2. In researching Shimagnolo adapter options I have run across some
claims that while running 9s Ergo with a Campy rder and 9s Shimano hub
will work OK up to a point, it would still be better to use a
conversion cassette or something like the Shiftmate
(http://www.jtekengineering.com/shiftmate.htm) to get the best
possible shifting. Is that true or am I worrying too much? The
Shiftmate is relatively inexpensive (presuming it works) but
conversion cassettes are not.

I bought the Jtek Shiftmate a few weeks ago and it works perfectly. I added
Record Ergo shifters to my 9 speed Dura-Ace setup because the Shimano
brifters made my hands numb and I have always hated the exposed cables. It
works a treat on my DA 12-27 cassette and RD. You could get the cheapest
Campy 10s shifters, a Shiftmate and any 9speed Shimano cassette and
derailleur and it will work. I understand that Campy 10s derailleurs work
as is on Shimano 9 speed cassettes as well. So many options.

Tim McTeague

Old August 22nd 04, 02:33 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

westrick- so my plan is to get Campagnolo Centaur 9s shifters, a Veloce long
cage rder, and a 9s Ultegra cassette. BRBR
1. Campy is rapidly phasing out 9 speed (I would be buying '03 Centaur
to get the 9 speed version), with Shimano presumably to follow over
the next few years. I wonder if I would be better off getting 10
speed Ergos with an adapter to run a 9 speed cassette for now. BRBR

Not really, 8s cogsets still made but get a 10s ERGO, that also is compatible
with shimano 9s cogsets and chains. The difference in spacing of shimano 9s is
between Campagnolo 9s and 10s, so it works great with either.

2. In researching Shimagnolo adapter options I have run across some
claims that while running 9s Ergo with a Campy rder and 9s Shimano hub
will work OK up to a point, it would still be better to use a
conversion cassette or something like the Shiftmate BRBR

Not true, we use Campagnolo shifters and rear ders all the time w/o any
doohickeys and it works great.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com
Old August 23rd 04, 06:59 PM
David Reuteler

jim beam wrote:
worry a bit .. i ran 9sp campag shifters with a 9sp shimano hub and it drove
me nuts. after about 6 weeks (of pop can shims and lots of tinkering) i
sold the wheel and built up a campag rear wheel. other people claim it's
the same, i dunno. ymmv really seems to apply here.

interesting. i don't notice much difference between the campy cassette
& the shimano cassette on the same bike. _but_ i /do/ notice a
difference between my record & veloce with a shimano cassette - the
record sucks, even when i use a shimano chain. the veloce is slick &
clean every time, just like a shimano shift. the record has sucked from
day one. the type of cassette doesn't seem to make a whit of
difference, provided the right chain is used. gotta use shimano with
shimano.

just fyi, i'm running 2002 record 9sp brifters to a centaur long-cage r/d and
at the time an ultegra hub w/ a 12-27sp ultegra cassette w/ either an SRAM
or shimano chain.
--
david reuteler