Ultegra - 105 - Tiagra

Old August 26th 04, 07:14 AM
Burak Ilter

Default Ultegra - 105 - Tiagra

Hi, I am planning to buy a racing bike since I am planning to do my first
triathlon next season. But I do not want to invest an awesome money to the
bike. So here is my question: Should I use an Ultegra set or 105 or Tiagra?
What do I lose if I use Tiagra, which is cheaper? What is the weight
difference or am I missing the point completely?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Burak

http://www.usenet.com
Old August 26th 04, 07:57 AM
Ryan Cousineau

In article ,
"Burak Ilter" wrote:

Hi, I am planning to buy a racing bike since I am planning to do my first
triathlon next season. But I do not want to invest an awesome money to the
bike. So here is my question: Should I use an Ultegra set or 105 or Tiagra?
What do I lose if I use Tiagra, which is cheaper? What is the weight
difference or am I missing the point completely?

Well, other racers will look down their noses at you if you don't use at
least 105 .

The minimal weight difference is, apparently, the main difference.

Since you're using this as a tri-bike, will you configure the bike with
aerobars? Will you use "barcon" shifters on the aerobars, or road-bike
"brifteurs"?

If there is one thing you deserve to be warned against, it's the odd
bottom bracket choices on these three component sets:

-Tiagra uses a square-taper BB, which sorta works okay for small people
like me, and sorta doesn't work very well for very long for many large
or powerful people.

-105 currently uses the Shimano "Hollowtech" splined BB. For various
reasons, this BB is ill-starred and on its way out. 2005 may be the last
year that any Shimano group uses it. If possible, I would choose an
ISIS-standard crank and BB (many makers sell road-bike cranks using ISIS
splines).

Ultegra used to use the Hollowtech BB, but as of 2005 is using the
"Hollowtech II" pinch-bolt BB. this appears to be a vastly superior
drive setup to the old Hollowtech stuff.

--
Ryan Cousineau, http://www.wiredcola.com
Verus de parvis; verus de magnis.
Old August 26th 04, 11:58 AM
Evan Evans

Ryan Cousineau wrote in message ...
In article ,
"Burak Ilter" wrote:

[...]

I agree with everything above. The tiagra crank seems to be a bit
bellow the others as far as design. I would avoid it. The rest of the
group is ok. I personaly ride a mix of tiagra & 105 & it has worked
great for 2 years. I'm very pleased. Keep in mind i only ride for fun
& fitness. If i did much racing i might think different. The weight
diff. in the 3 groups is not much.
Old August 26th 04, 12:54 PM
B Paton

Should I use an Ultegra set or 105 or Tiagra?
What do I lose if I use Tiagra, which is cheaper? What is the weight
difference or am I missing the point completely?

The Tiagra hub is significantly worse than the 105, which is nearly as good
as the Ultegra.

Old August 26th 04, 03:08 PM
Burak Ilter

Thanks for the answers, I will compare the part weights for the sets from
the Shimano site and select according to the prices I get. And I will choose
the crank with your tips' help.

Since I am just planning to complete the race, I will not care what the
others think. And for the same reason I am not planning to use aero-bars, in
case I would give-up triathlon racing and bike just for fun and fitness.

http://www.usenet.com
Old August 26th 04, 03:13 PM
Ken

"Burak Ilter" wrote in news:412d8020
@post.usenet.com:
Hi, I am planning to buy a racing bike since I am planning to do my first
triathlon next season. But I do not want to invest an awesome money to the
bike. So here is my question: Should I use an Ultegra set or 105 or Tiagra?

Are you buying the component group to install on a frame, or are you buying a
complete bike? If you're buying components, I'd go with at least 105. The
price difference over Tiagra isn't that much, but the components will
function more smoothly. If you're buying a complete bike, remember that the
price difference between levels also goes to upgraded forks and wheels.
Those often have a bigger performance impact than the other components.
Old August 26th 04, 03:18 PM
Eric Lambi

Hi, I am planning to buy a racing bike since I am planning to do my first
triathlon next season. But I do not want to invest an awesome money to the
bike. So here is my question: Should I use an Ultegra set or 105 or Tiagra?
What do I lose if I use Tiagra, which is cheaper? What is the weight
difference or am I missing the point completely?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Burak

You are paying for more than just the weight difference with 105 vs.
Tiagra. Tiagra is not designed as a racing group, and shares less of
Shimano's high-end technology than the 105. IOW, Tiagra won't last as
long and won't function as well while you have it.

I don't have any personal experience with Tiagra or 105, but think you
will be much happier if you get the 105 instead of the Tiagra. I
don't think the difference between ultegra and 105 is very large.
Old August 26th 04, 11:13 PM
Richard Chan

"Burak Ilter" wrote in message ...

Thanks for the answers, I will compare the part weights for the sets from
the Shimano site and select according to the prices I get. And I will choose
the crank with your tips' help.

Since I am just planning to complete the race, I will not care what the
others think. And for the same reason I am not planning to use aero-bars, in
case I would give-up triathlon racing and bike just for fun and fitness.

Not sure where you are located but in the United States, you can
probably buy a complete bike cheaper than the bike kit, i.e. house
brand AL frame with Ultegra or 105 from Performancebike, Colorado
Cyclist, .. Sell the frame or use it as a spare.