info on converting 9sp ERGO shifter to 10sp

Old August 27th 04, 02:43 AM
sfcommuter

Default info on converting 9sp ERGO shifter to 10sp

I'm sure it must be possible but I can't find info on what parts ar
needed to convert a Chorus 9sp shifter to 10sp. Also, is thi
something that is possible to do without any special tools or skills

--
sfcommuter

Old August 27th 04, 04:00 AM
Paul Kopit

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 11:43:16 +1000, sfcommuter
wrote:

I'm sure it must be possible but I can't find info on what parts are
needed to convert a Chorus 9sp shifter to 10sp. Also, is this
something that is possible to do without any special tools or skills?

You need a minimum of a 10 sp shift disk. Tools, a 5 mm hex key, a 3
mm hex key, a wide blade screw driver, and a 50¢ crochet hook (not
absolutely necessary). If you have a few thousand miles on the G
springs, replace them. Have a spring carrier handy if the one you
find inside is broken.

Special skills? Not really. It goes very fast the 3rd time you do
it.

Old August 27th 04, 06:02 AM
Kenny Lee

sfcommuter wrote:
I'm sure it must be possible but I can't find info on what parts are
needed to convert a Chorus 9sp shifter to 10sp. Also, is this
something that is possible to do without any special tools or skills?

Have a look in here. May be of some use.

http://www.branfordbike.com/brake/bi...igb.html#item1

Kenny Lee

Old August 27th 04, 01:46 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

sfc- I'm sure it must be possible but I can't find info on what parts are
needed to convert a Chorus 9sp shifter to 10sp. Also, is this
something that is possible to do without any special tools or skills?
BRBR

It can be done on 1999 shifters and later(not 1998 or previous). You need the
shift disc, EC-RE-061 and the front toothed bushing, EC-RE-062.

Not 'hard' but can be 'diffucult', particularly getting the spring in the back
reattached and wound up.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

Old August 27th 04, 05:46 PM
bfd

Kenny Lee wrote in message ...
sfcommuter wrote:
I'm sure it must be possible but I can't find info on what parts are
needed to convert a Chorus 9sp shifter to 10sp. Also, is this
something that is possible to do without any special tools or skills?

One thing you don't say is how old are your Chorus 9 spd shifters? Are
they the older "pointed" hood that came on levers made between
1991-1997? Or are they the newer "rounded" hood that came out from
1999-present.

If the older hoods, check velonews tech and campyonly.com, both have
instructions on repairing ergo shifters, including replacing all
springs, and shifting disc. However, if they are the older hoods, you
might not be able to convert from 9 to 10.

If they are the newer rounded hoods, check out Andy Muzi's
www.yellowjersey.org

He has both the official Campy Ergo repair manual on line and which
can easily be downloaded:

http://www.yellowjersey.org/ergo1.html

Plus, Andy has Paul Southworth's excellent write up too:

http://www.yellowjersey.org/ergo_ps.pdf

Andy is very Campy knoweledgeable, a frequent contributor here and a
great source.

Another source for Campy Ergo knowledge and parts is Peter Chisholm at
www.vecchios.com

Peter is also very knowledge and frequent contributor here and carries
just about every type of Campy small parts. His prices are equal to or
cheaper than Branford, and he won't sell you extra stuff.