ETRTO rim widths, nonsense or any actual reasoning?

Old November 20th 16, 11:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

Default ETRTO rim widths, nonsense or any actual reasoning?

On 2016-11-02, DougC wrote:
It has been noted by more than a few people that the ETRTO tire/rim
charts are heavily predisposed to mounting FAT tires on very skinny rims.

Some of us brave and daring souls have found that you get a much better
ride if you obtain a tire/rim combination where the rim is nearly (80%
or so) as wide as the tire.

There is a present trend of wider rims for wider tires, which both
works better aerodynamically (FWIW) and provides more stability for
cornering loads as shown here (from the article below):
https://intheknowcycling.files.wordp...im-drawing.jpg

I found this article quite enlightening:
https://intheknowcycling.com/2016/04...s-wheel-sizes/

Here's a fresh article on the widening of rims:
https://cyclingtips.com/2016/11/the-...e-road-wheels/

I've been using HED Ardennes 25SL wheels with 23mm tires for a few years
and like them. The difference in cornering is notable. And the lower
pressure (90 psi) is more comfortable on Québec roads.

--
duane
Old November 20th 16, 03:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 11/20/2016 6:32 AM, Duane wrote:

I've been using HED Ardennes 25SL wheels with 23mm tires for a few years
and like them. The difference in cornering is notable. And the lower
pressure (90 psi) is more comfortable on Québec roads.

A comment made to me on a recent club ride: "Do you have enough air in
your rear tire?? There's a little bulge at the bottom!"

My response: "There's _supposed_ to be a little bulge at the bottom!"

(The commenter weighs maybe 140 pounds and uses something over 120 psi.
He's probably never seen his tires deflect.)

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old November 21st 16, 12:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Phil Lee

Frank Krygowski considered Sun, 20 Nov 2016
10:09:14 -0500 the perfect time to write:

On 11/20/2016 6:32 AM, Duane wrote:

I've been using HED Ardennes 25SL wheels with 23mm tires for a few years
and like them. The difference in cornering is notable. And the lower
pressure (90 psi) is more comfortable on Québec roads.

A comment made to me on a recent club ride: "Do you have enough air in
your rear tire?? There's a little bulge at the bottom!"

My response: "There's _supposed_ to be a little bulge at the bottom!"

(The commenter weighs maybe 140 pounds and uses something over 120 psi.
He's probably never seen his tires deflect.)

He's probably lucky to see anything when riding on chip & seal - other
than the bills from his dental surgeon for replacing fillings!

Will you participate in this study on adult reasoning? Dare Institute General 0 July 16th 09 03:17 PM
Rear Hub Widths? (PeteCresswell) Techniques 5 February 19th 08 04:10 AM
Why Do Mountain Bikers Always Resort to VIOLENCE, when their Faulty Reasoning Fails? Gary S. Mountain Biking 0 July 10th 05 03:27 AM
different axle widths Miles General 0 November 29th 04 12:53 AM
Chain outside widths? Pete Biggs UK 23 September 3rd 03 06:47 PM