? - To build or not to build -- a bike - ?

Old August 1st 03, 12:20 AM
Andrew Short

Default ? - To build or not to build -- a bike - ?

A few years I decided to build my own computer before my mind went to mush
and I couldn't think anymore. I did that, and it turned out well.

Now I've got the bug to build a bike (or buy one, which would be the easy
thing to do); and I'd like your opinions about that, e.g., is the reason I
haven't noticed posts to that issue because it's too damn stupid an idea or
what? I've read that it's cheaper to buy an assembled bike, that economies
of scale make them cheaper than a build-your-own. Is that correct; and, if
so, how much might be saved by buying, say, a $1500 bike rather than
building it with the same components.

I know there are innumerable variables, e.g., personal, technical, quality,
etc.; but, if you can respond to the question in a very general way, I'll
appreciate it.

Or is this whole question just inane drivel?

Thanks for your responses. -

Andrew Short
Dallas

Old August 1st 03, 01:47 AM
Chris Zacho The Wheelman

It is cheaper to buy a pre built bike, obviously. But you will have to
take what they give you, Initially, at least.

You can also go to someone who makes custom bikes and order one of their
frames and they will put on whatever component's you want, as long as
they fit, of course. They will usually give you a package deal.

Some builders (Bob Jackson, for example) also have a line of stock
framesets that they will customize for you.

OR, you could look for an off the shelf bike that has most of what you
want, buy that and replace the stuff you don't want with stuff you do.
Either all at once, or over time, Remember, the most important part to
consider is the frame.

Not being one of the rich and famous, this is what I do.

May you have the wind at your back.
And a really low gear for the hills!
Chris

Chris'Z Corner
"The Website for the Common Bicyclist":
http://www.geocities.com/czcorner

Old August 1st 03, 03:54 AM
Scott C

I posted a similar question, and have seen others besides mine on this topic
too..

I was talked out of building my own bike for cost reasons, and ended up
buying a TREK 300, which I like for riding with my wife - we ride every
weekend. I'm not a serious biker by any means, but do like the mechanical
aspect of bikes. At this time I have taken apart every part of my TREK and
know I could build a bike without much trouble, but based on the below, I'll
not get the chance.

I am still thinking of building a bike, but when I look at the cost of
components, it seems very cost prohibitive - for instance, any frame I would
like is $500+.. and even if I went with a $300 frame, and got the XTR "kit"
($340) I still need wheels (about $200 for my min) tires, breaks,handlebars
... I'm honestly afraid to add it all up - it will be close to $2000 (yes,
for some of you this is not much).. but all I'd like to do is build a
reasonable bike and I could be proud of.

I don't see how I can buy the parts to build a bike at this rate.

I am happy with my Trek, and maybe someday I'll start building a bike that
takes a year to put together, buying $300-500 at a time, until it's done.

sc

et...

Old August 1st 03, 06:31 AM
Gearóid Ó Laoi/Garry Lee

I've built 2 or 3 in my time as well as buying lots.
The only reason I've built them is I've bought the frames and then built
them from new and old bits. It's not that difficult but you need a few tools
and plenty of patience, BUT there's no need or sense in doing it if you
don't have to.

Old August 1st 03, 08:36 AM
Werehatrack

On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 23:20:43 GMT, "Andrew Short"
may have said:

I know there are innumerable variables, e.g., personal, technical, quality,
etc.; but, if you can respond to the question in a very general way, I'll
appreciate it.

First, it's not rocket science. You can *probably* do a decent job,
although I'd certainly lobby for either buying assembled wheels or
letting the lbs lace them for you, as doing this the first time can be
a right royal pain in the neck. Beyond that, there aren't too many
potential gotchas to worry about, and if you ask the suppliers about
what fits *before* you shell out the bucks, you shouldn't have to
worry about getting everything to work together. Bear in mind,
though, that you'll probably lay out another $60 for tools if you
don't already have everything you need, but those purchases will be
weel worth the expense in the long run.

On the other hand, if you buy the bike already complete, and
something's not right, you presumably have the warranty to fall back
on.

If I had the budget and the yen for an all-new bike, I would probably
build it myself...but then, I've built lots of things over the years,
and this would hardly be a challenge. Part of the equation for me is
the "I built it" factor, and the knowledge of just exactly what went
into every part of it.

--
My email address is antispammed;
pull WEEDS if replying via e-mail.
Old August 1st 03, 12:24 PM
res09c5t

Hi,
Here's the contrarian view with some caveats.
I've built several bikes and have saved a lot of money. I did this by doing
a lot of "scrounging" of parts either by buying used in
rec.bicycles.marketplace or online auctions or by finding other deals on new
or used parts. A couple of times, I bought complete bikes that weren't
equipped the way I wanted them, sold off the parts I didn't and kept the
frames. I've built some very nice, very cheap bikes this way. Not always
the newest components- I'm running Campy 8 speed Racing Triple on
everything- but still very good stuff.
This requires quite a bit of knowledge about what components are compatible,
sizes, etc. and takes some time to find things. The first major upgrade I
did bought everything from an online bike shop because I didn't have the
knowledge to put it all together.

I agree with the other posters- if you can find a bike equipped the way you
want- particularly used- you will get off cheaper. If you want all new
parts, it will be cheaper to buy the whole bike. If you have the time,
knowledge and inclination to scrounge the parts together, you can do well
with that also but it will take some time. I'm cheap so it's kind of a
hobby.

Good luck!
Lyle

Old August 1st 03, 01:24 PM
Rick Onanian

wrote:
what? I've read that it's cheaper to buy an assembled bike, that
economies
of scale make them cheaper than a build-your-own. Is that correct; and,
if
so, how much might be saved by buying, say, a $1500 bike rather than
building it with the same components.

For $1500, you can buy OR build a very good bike. The advantage
of building it yourself will be the satisfaction of having done
so. The advantage of letting somebody else do it is that you
will be sure that a professional built it.

You will certainly get a better bike for less if you buy it
already built.

Another option might be to buy a pre-configured bike, and just
ask that it not be assembled. You won't get much of a discount
off the price, but you'll get it at pre-built price, and still
get to build it yourself. The guys at the bike shop will look
at you weird and try to convince you not to, because it will
sound silly to them as well as the concern that they'll still
have to help you a million times.

Personally, if I was bitten by that bug (and I will be in the
future, probably for my next bike), I'd probably build it myself,
whether I buy individual parts and pay more (for a self-configured
bike) or I buy a whole bike, unassembled. There really is
satisfaction in doing the work yourself, unless of course, you
botch it.

Keep in mind that there are safety issues to be concerned with
when deciding who builds your bike.

Also, you'll need specialized tools that will drive your cost up.

Or is this whole question just inane drivel?

Everything on usenet is inane drivel. It's still less inane than,
say, a reality tv show. I caught my girlfriend watching a reality
show on -- get this -- the Food Network. ?!?!?!?

Thanks for your responses. -

Andrew Short
Dallas

--
Rick Onanian
Old August 1st 03, 02:13 PM
Michael

Now I've got the bug to build a bike (or buy one, which would be the easy
thing to do); and I'd like your opinions about that, e.g., is the reason I
haven't noticed posts to that issue because it's too damn stupid an idea or
what? I've read that it's cheaper to buy an assembled bike, that economies
of scale make them cheaper than a build-your-own. Is that correct; and, if
so, how much might be saved by buying, say, a $1500 bike rather than
building it with the same components.

Assuming you have the experience and/or the willingness to learn bike
maintenance, there are 2 significant advantages to building up your
own bike (I've done it twice):

1) It CAN most definitely be cheaper. If you just buy full-price
parts individually from expensive sources, it will be more expensive.
But if you buy an entire group, or even better assemble your own group
from individual items found on sale at various places, you can save a
couple hundred dollars on a $1500-level bike. (The alleged economies
of scale are counter-balanced by the LBS costs as middlemen - shop
rent, mechanics to build the bike, profit). I did built up a bike this
way in order to upgrade the level of components (105 to Ultegra) for
the same price as the stock 105 bike.

2) You get EXACTLY the components you want. If you know components
well, and have ridden enough to know what you like and don't like, and
you want to deal with the hassles of making sure you get all the right
parts and they work together (or you even LIKE those "hassles"), then
you'll be able to get a bike that exactly meets your needs. I've done
this once as well, to get a bike and setup that is simply not
available commercially. It took months to get all the parts and get
it built, and turned out to be more work than I expected, but I got a
truly custom bike out of it.

If all this sounds like too much trouble, buy a stock bike and enjoy
it.

Michael
Old August 1st 03, 02:15 PM
ajames54

may have said:

[...]

hear! hear!...
add to that that it is fun to build your own.. (for some of us).
unless you have used parts to put on the bike it will be about
40% more expensive..
Old August 1st 03, 03:09 PM
Bill

Nobody mentioned the fact that if you decide to build your own, you get to
buy and have a bunch of cool tools.