Is the bike an improvement on God's design?

Old June 3rd 08, 08:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
ComandanteBanana

Default Is the bike an improvement on God's design?

From: "trog69"

Well, since I've already veered off topic, I think that the roadblock
to the Smart car coming to the US is stupidity. The automakers and
the potential buyers seem to not know what the other really wants.

I would agree with the 'stupid' aspect but not for the same reason. I think
it's more that most drivers in the US don't want to admit they're part of
the problem and get rid of their 20MPG vehicles. They see large cars as a
status symbol and ego booster, and downsizing would be admitting some sort
of intellectual failure, but that's just my opinion, and I could be wrong.

Perhaps they interpret that whatever they do, God will clean it up for
them, and that in the "last days" everything is supposed to go wrong.
So it all becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy they help to create.
Worse, they believe they can't help it by riding a bike.

And then they vote Republican...

Old June 3rd 08, 10:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
ComandanteBanana

Default This is no ordinary account of the world

I know many of you don't believe, but the Devil is capable of doing
many evil things...

Originally Posted by John E
'In the beginning, God created the Heavens and the Earth and populated
the Earth with broccoli, cauliflower and spinach, green and yellow and
red vegetables of all kinds, so Man and Woman would live long and
healthy lives. Then using God's great gifts, Satan created Ben and
Jerry's Ice Cream and Krispy Creme Donuts. And Satan said, "You want
chocolate with that?" And Man said, "Yes!" and Woman said, "and as
long as you're at it, add some sprinkles." And they gained 10 pounds.
And Satan smiled.

And God created the healthful yogurt that Woman might keep the figure
that Man found so fair. And Satan brought forth white flour from the
wheat, and sugar from the cane and combined them. And Woman went from
size 6 to size 14.

So God said, "Try my fresh green salad." And Satan presented Thousand-
Island Dressing, buttery croutons and garlic toast on the side. And
Man and Woman unfastened their belts following the repast.

God then said, "I have sent you heart healthy vegetables and olive oil
in which to cook them." And Satan brought forth deep fried fish and
chicken-fried steak so big it needed its own platter. And Man gained
more weight and his cholesterol went through the roof.

God then created a light, fluffy white cake, named it "Angel Food
Cake," and said, "It is good." Satan then created chocolate cake and
named it "Devil's Food."

God then brought forth running shoes so that His children might lose
those extra pounds. And Satan gave cable TV with a remote control so
Man would not have to toil changing the channels. And Man and Woman
laughed and cried before the flickering blue light and gained pounds.

Then God brought forth the potato, naturally low in fat and brimming
with nutrition. And Satan peeled off the healthful skin and sliced the
starchy center into chips and deep-fried them. And Man gained pounds.

God then gave lean beef so that Man might consume fewer calories and
still satisfy his appetite. And Satan created McDonald's and its 99-
cent double cheeseburger. Then said, "You want fries with that?" And
Man replied, "Yes! And super size them!" And Satan said, "It is good."
And Man went into cardiac arrest.

God sighed and created quadruple bypass surgery.
Then Satan created HMOs.'

It all makes sense. But just to add a comment: Satan kept the roads
full of reckless SUVs, so anyone that wanted to ride a bike would be
intimidated, and would turn to his beloved Idiot Box where to watch
the latest in food technology and news of the world being a scary
place --just for the ratings, you know.

Old June 3rd 08, 10:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Tim McNamara

In article ,
"Jack May" wrote:

"ComandanteBanana" wrote in message

I think the bike is an improvement on God's design. Before, man
depended on the beasts to get around. Even Jesus rode a donkey.
Imagine what Jesus would have done if he had a bike!

Kangaroos hopping are very efficient. I don't know how they compare
to a bike, but a kangaroo will beat a bike every time over naturally
rough ground.

Which proves that mankind can better itself without help from
above.

Kangaroos are produced by evolution. That is why they are so
efficient over natural ground. Bikes are mainly designed for smooth
man made surfaces like roads and pedways.

That's where bikes are very efficient, but as you say less so on natural
terrains or, for that matter, even on the typical deteriorating roadways
that 28 years of devotion to tax cutting above all else has left us
with.

But are they more or less efficient than kangaroos? These things are
usually considered in calories per mile or kilometer, and I've never
seen estimated for kangaroos. Pedestrians, horses, dog, cars, etc. I
have seen estimates for but not kangaroos. Come to think of it, all the
estimates I have seen for bikes have been on pavement, I've never seen
one for bike off-road.
Old June 3rd 08, 10:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Tim McNamara

In article ,
Dead Paul wrote:

On Mon, 02 Jun 2008 20:48:43 -0700, Jack May wrote:

"ComandanteBanana" wrote in message

om...
I think the bike is an improvement on God's design. Before, man
depended on the beasts to get around. Even Jesus rode a donkey.
Imagine what Jesus would have done if he had a bike!

Kangaroos hopping are very efficient. I don't know how they
compare to a bike, but a kangaroo will beat a bike every time over
naturally rough ground.

Which proves that mankind can better itself without help from
above.

Kangaroos are produced by evolution.

Your proof?

That is why they are so efficient

No, they are "efficient" because of the way they work, because of the
way natural laws have been exploited. It's not because of evolution.
Evolution is a process of construction of new forms. It is blind even
according to Darwinists evolution is a blind process.

Do you actually understand the theory of evolution?
Old June 3rd 08, 10:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Tim McNamara

In article ,
"Amy Blankenship" wrote:

"ComandanteBanana" wrote in message
.
..
(I'm using some metaphoric language here, just like the Christians
use Adam and Eve, just that the terminology is Teflon and cast
iron.)

While Teflon wears out, cast iron is "forever," but you have to
keep "curing it"...

Why, is it ill?

In other words, we should live under a permanent state of
r-evolution, making corrections along the way.

It's what made humans out of monkeys.

I'll ask you the same question I asked the other guy: do you actually
understand the theory of evolution? Your question betrays all kinds of
ignorance.

The Christians' creation though denies evolution both in the past
and present. Proof of that is how they stick to their SUVs in the
face of oil crisis, while denying space to the "smart" bicycles.

How come I see so many liberal atheists driving around in SUVs?

If they studied life at the time of the dinosaurs, they'd find out
that's a recipe for disaster, which they call "Armageddon."

Dinosaurs drove SUVs?

No more preaching for today.

I don't believe you.

Me neither.
Old June 3rd 08, 10:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Tim McNamara

In article ,
Dead Paul wrote:

On Mon, 02 Jun 2008 17:59:04 -0700, ComandanteBanana wrote:

(the original subject here is God made the banana to fit in one's
hand)

...with a tab for easy opening! Fits the hand perfectly as well!
:-)

I thought He made the hand to fit the banana!

You really don't want to know what i misread that as...

OK, let's change the subject...

I think the bike is an improvement on God's design. Before, man
depended on the beasts to get around. Even Jesus rode a donkey.
Imagine what Jesus would have done if he had a bike!

Which proves that mankind can better itself without help from
above.

Does it bollox.

"Bollox" is not a verb.
Old June 3rd 08, 11:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
ComandanteBanana

On Jun 3, 5:39*pm, Tim McNamara wrote:
In article ,
*"Jack May" wrote:

[...]

one for bike off-road.- Hide quoted text -

Perhaps we can learn from kangaroos...

(without the jumping, of course)

http://www.skymall.com/shopping/deta...961&c=69731414

Old June 4th 08, 08:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Dead Paul

On Tue, 03 Jun 2008 16:41:03 -0500, Tim McNamara wrote:

In article ,
Dead Paul wrote:

[...]

If you are having problems with understanding the evolution hypothesis
I suggest you see someone at your local college about it or read up on it
with books from your local library. I don't give tuition due to time
constraints.

--
___ _______ ___ ___ ___ __ ____
/ _ \/ __/ _ | / _ \ / _ \/ _ |/ / / / /

Old June 4th 08, 12:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
dgk

On Tue, 3 Jun 2008 08:20:02 -0700 (PDT), ComandanteBanana

So someone replies...

I ride over 10,000 miles each year, I can't tell you how many times
I've
heard the line 'cars have the right of way over bikes', or 'bikes
don't
belong on the road', or, my favorite 'bikes should ride _against_ the
flow
of traffic'.

****ing idiots

I always seem to be riding against the wind.
Old June 4th 08, 12:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
dgk

*"Jack May" wrote:

[...]

You must be referring to the pouch. We've learned. We invented
pockets. And lots of stuff to put in pockets.