Presta Valve Stem: Screw-On Ring Inside As Well As Outside?

Old November 12th 16, 09:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Default Presta Valve Stem: Screw-On Ring Inside As Well As Outside?

I've torn a couple of Presta valve stems out of the tube by yanking too
hard when pulling off the pump head.

Yeah... old tube, probably destined for failure anyhow.. but still...

Has anybody tried putting a little screw-on ring inside the rim to
prevent the stem pulling on the tube?
--
Pete Cresswell
Old November 12th 16, 09:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 11/12/2016 3:32 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
I've torn a couple of Presta valve stems out of the tube by yanking too
hard when pulling off the pump head.

Yeah... old tube, probably destined for failure anyhow.. but still...

Has anybody tried putting a little screw-on ring inside the rim to
prevent the stem pulling on the tube?

That will promote a tear next to the valve where the tube
tries to fill in the space next to your spacer.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old November 12th 16, 10:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Per AMuzi:
That will promote a tear next to the valve where the tube
tries to fill in the space next to your spacer.

Kind of what I figured..... Was just hoping otherwise...

Thanks.
--
Pete Cresswell
Old November 12th 16, 11:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

On Saturday, November 12, 2016 at 4:33:07 PM UTC-5, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
I've torn a couple of Presta valve stems out of the tube by yanking too
hard when pulling off the pump head.

Yeah... old tube, probably destined for failure anyhow.. but still...

Has anybody tried putting a little screw-on ring inside the rim to
prevent the stem pulling on the tube?
--
Pete Cresswell

SPECIALIZED tube nipples rise from a rectangular reinforcing patch . Strong so blowing tube up beyond spec doesn't follow thru as the patch n nipple only expand to specs.
Old November 12th 16, 11:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

On Saturday, November 12, 2016 at 4:33:07 PM UTC-5, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
I've torn a couple of Presta valve stems out of the tube by yanking too
hard when pulling off the pump head.

Yeah... old tube, probably destined for failure anyhow.. but still...

Has anybody tried putting a little screw-on ring inside the rim to
prevent the stem pulling on the tube?
--
Pete Cresswell

over time wear surfaces with flat proofing circumference strips where there's overlap

enjoy

https://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-washers/=150hrzn

Old November 13th 16, 01:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mike A Schwab

On Saturday, November 12, 2016 at 4:49:17 PM UTC-6, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per AMuzi:
That will promote a tear next to the valve where the tube
tries to fill in the space next to your spacer.

Kind of what I figured..... Was just hoping otherwise...

Thanks.
--
Pete Cresswell

I have. Best if you can do inside and outside. 2nd best inside. 3rd best none. 4th best outside. Best of all, if the rim is wide enough, drill out for a schrader, dunlop.
Old November 13th 16, 09:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dennis Davis[_2_]

In article ,
(PeteCresswell) wrote:
I've torn a couple of Presta valve stems out of the tube by yanking
too hard when pulling off the pump head.

Yeah... old tube, probably destined for failure anyhow.. but
still...

Has anybody tried putting a little screw-on ring inside the rim to
prevent the stem pulling on the tube?

Would these be presta valves in rims drilled for the larger schrader
valves? If so, you might try fitting rim valve converters to reduce
the size of the valve hole in the rim. For example, see:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mavic-Rim-...-/182346396454

although they are probably available from lots of other places.

I've never had the valve tearing problem described, so can't say for
sure that these are the solution.

I've got these on the rims of my hybrid bike as I've standardised on
presta valves for all my bikes.
--
Dennis Davis
Old November 13th 16, 03:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doc O'Leary[_20_]

For your reference, records indicate that
"(PeteCresswell)" wrote:

I've torn a couple of Presta valve stems out of the tube by yanking too
hard when pulling off the pump head.

Yeah... old tube, probably destined for failure anyhow.. but still...

Has anybody tried putting a little screw-on ring inside the rim to
prevent the stem pulling on the tube?

Consider pushing down on the stem as you detach the pump. Or just not
yanking so hard. Rock the connector back and forth and let the air
pressure do most of the work.

--
"Also . . . I can kill you with my brain."
River Tam, Trash, Firefly

Old November 14th 16, 04:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Saturday, November 12, 2016 at 1:33:07 PM UTC-8, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
I've torn a couple of Presta valve stems out of the tube by yanking too
hard when pulling off the pump head.

Yeah... old tube, probably destined for failure anyhow.. but still...

Has anybody tried putting a little screw-on ring inside the rim to
prevent the stem pulling on the tube?
--
Pete Cresswell

I have had the same problem. The only passable fix I've found is a higher quality tube. And this is NOT those super-light tubes.

Though one fix would be to change to a tubeless tire.
Old November 15th 16, 04:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Phil Lee

AMuzi considered Sat, 12 Nov 2016 15:39:17 -0600
the perfect time to write:

On 11/12/2016 3:32 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
I've torn a couple of Presta valve stems out of the tube by yanking too
hard when pulling off the pump head.

Yeah... old tube, probably destined for failure anyhow.. but still...

Has anybody tried putting a little screw-on ring inside the rim to
prevent the stem pulling on the tube?

That will promote a tear next to the valve where the tube
tries to fill in the space next to your spacer.

But a thin washer should be about as effective, lack that problem, and
is even incorporated in some tubes as standard.

Maybe it's the pump head(s) being too tight, but I've never had that
problem, even on tubes with no such provision.
Another possibility is that the valve drillings are slightly
oversized, allowing more movement (and chafing) than is desirable.

The nearest I've had to that problem was a shrader valve which was
moulded into a rubber stem portion of the actual inner tube, which a
slightly ragged edge on the rim drilling neatly sliced through (on my
wheelchair, in fact). The whole valve departed the tube and rim while
sitting in my doctor's waiting room, much to the alarm of everyone in
the building at the time (I'm sure most of us here are familiar with
the volume of a full pressure [10 bar/145psi] 1" tyre explosively
deflating, and of course this was indoors, which amplified the
effect). On checking both rims I found that both had the same
problem, and since de-burring them, the problem has not been repeated
(although I also now use Schwalbe tubes, which have all-metal valve
stems).

I don't like locking rings at all, as if they are tight when the tyre
is at the full working pressure, they will be almost immovable once
the tyre is flat (the very time you need to be able to remove them)
and if loose, what's the point anyway?
If left off, they allow you to see if the tyre (and tube) has crept on
the rim, which is a situation which it is better to know about and
correct before the valve gets ripped out!

The only exception I make is where a presta tube is mounted on a rim
drilled for shrader (or dunlop), where a stepped ring (standard on
Schwalbe presta tubes) is useful to act as a spacer for the oversized
hole. In those cases I use the ring on the inside of the rim, on the
basis that there is less chance of the tube being damaged by swelling
to fill a slight step than by swelling out through the gap created by
the oversized drilling.

Presta valve separation? LF Techniques 9 April 27th 14 12:01 AM
How do i get the inside of a Valve Extensioner out of a carbon rim? [email protected] Australia 10 March 9th 08 11:26 PM
Presta valve problems Jay UK 11 January 18th 06 12:01 PM
Presta valve sticks. Michael Press Techniques 4 January 9th 06 02:32 PM
Presta Valve help please Neil Australia 5 August 19th 04 01:34 PM