Orthopedic tech (cycling)

Old January 20th 19, 10:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark J.

Default Orthopedic tech (cycling)

Check out the ninth photo in this gallery, apparently an orthopedic
device. I don't know anything beyond the caption, but the visuals are
quite striking.

https://www.velonews.com/2019/01/new...ng-camp_482921

Mark J.
Old January 21st 19, 01:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Sunday, January 20, 2019 at 4:36:46 PM UTC-5, Mark J. wrote:
Check out the ninth photo in this gallery, apparently an orthopedic
device. I don't know anything beyond the caption, but the visuals are
quite striking.

https://www.velonews.com/2019/01/new...ng-camp_482921

Mark J.

Thank you for something BICYCLING related! LOL

I found the image with the derailleur hanger between the frame and the cassette to be pretty interesting. I(t's the first image that doesn't have riders in it. I've never seen such derailleur a setup before.

Cheers
Old January 21st 19, 03:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 1/20/2019 4:36 PM, Mark J. wrote:
Check out the ninth photo in this gallery, apparently an orthopedic
device.Â* I don't know anything beyond the caption, but the visuals are
quite striking.

https://www.velonews.com/2019/01/new...ng-camp_482921

Wow. It looks like something from a medieval-theme fantasy movie. I
wonder what the details are?

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old January 21st 19, 04:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Sun, 20 Jan 2019 13:36:44 -0800, "Mark J."
wrote:

Check out the ninth photo in this gallery, apparently an orthopedic
device. I don't know anything beyond the caption, but the visuals are
quite striking.

https://www.velonews.com/2019/01/new...ng-camp_482921

Mark J.

Finger weights:
https://www.prohealthcareproducts.com/fingerweights-finger-exerciser-weights-five-finger-set/
The problem is that if they put they immobilize the arm, the muscles
will atrophy. By adding weight to each part of the hand, and spring
tensioned cables to the joints, the partly immobilized right hand has
to work harder than the normal left. In theory, the muscles will stay
in shape and be ready to use when the rest of the device is removed.
I've seen several like the one in the above URL, but I've never seen
anything quite as extensive as the VeloNews photo. Fractures also
knit faster when slightly stressed.

Or, it might just be a modern version of the traditional brass
knuckles, which are quite effective on competitors, race officials,
paparazzi, etc.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old January 25th 19, 11:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Zen Cycle

On Sunday, January 20, 2019 at 7:30:11 PM UTC-5, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Sunday, January 20, 2019 at 4:36:46 PM UTC-5, Mark J. wrote:
Check out the ninth photo in this gallery, apparently an orthopedic
device. I don't know anything beyond the caption, but the visuals are
quite striking.

https://www.velonews.com/2019/01/new...ng-camp_482921

Mark J.

Thank you for something BICYCLING related! LOL

I found the image with the derailleur hanger between the frame and the cassette to be pretty interesting. I(t's the first image that doesn't have riders in it. I've never seen such derailleur a setup before.

Cheers

It's a 'thru-axle' set up. They've been around on MTBs for quite a while. They offer greater stiffness at lighter weight. It's one of "standards" that aren't (like various BB 'standards'). The UCI has been allowing them in lieu of open dropouts with 'lawyer tabs' so expect to see greater cross compatibility as time goes on. Here's a primer on the technology:

http://www.bikebug.com/blog/everythi...ut-thru-axles/

Old January 26th 19, 03:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 1/25/2019 5:09 PM, Zen Cycle wrote:
[...]

Nice to see some bike tech discussion.

I note in that article, "Thru Axles (TA) originally were designed for
downhill riders years ago who were popping their front wheels out of
their front axles."

Does anyone remember the intense debates here about whether that problem
actually existed? Seems it's now well recognized.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old January 26th 19, 03:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:
[...]

ISTR that we agreed here on RBT it was a front disc specific
problem. With the ubiquitous behind-the-blade mount on
current popular discs, through axles make sense.

I'll leave rear through axle explanation as an exercise for
the reader.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old January 26th 19, 11:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Zen Cycle

wrote:
[...]

I can't imagine what disk brakes would have to do with it, but I haven't seen those arguments. The issue was that even with a solid bolted axle, the fact that the dropouts were open meant the wheel could dislodge. The through axle design offer better rigidity, and of course an infinitesimally small probability of the wheel popping out of a fork with a closed dropout.

I'll leave rear through axle explanation as an exercise for
the reader.

Similarly, a broken rear axle could dislodge from an open dropout, so the same philosophy applies to rear hubs/dropouts. It seems to be a bit of overkill to apply that to a road bike except for the fact that the thru axle will give more rigidity at less weight.

Old January 27th 19, 01:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:
[...]

Here's a clue - the rim brake absorbs the energy through the top of the fork. A disk brake absorbs the energy at the bottom of a lever arm.
Old January 27th 19, 04:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Zen Cycle

wrote:
[...]

I did a bit of research into the thought this being a disk-specific problem, and learned a few things (always good to learn new things).

A brake mounted _behind_ the fork will cause the whee to pivot down around the . Placing the brake in front of the fork will cause the wheel to pivot up. So, not a disc specific problem per se. IT may have been seen if a substantial number of manufacturers placed rim brakes behind the fork, but of course that's impractical for a number of obvious reasons.

I remember seeing a few manufacturers placing disk brakes on the front of the fork which minimized the problem by forcing the pivot up _into_ the dropout, but this also led problems of the brake be more exposed to potential damage (not likely on a road bike, but easily conceivable on a MTB). At the time I hadn't considered the issue of the wheel popping out, but since my MTB philosophy is "I I don't crash at least once, I'm not riding hard enough", I didn't consider a front mounted brake to be a tenable option.

As far as the rear brake, it's simply a case of through axles offering better strength/rigidity at less weight. The possibility of A wheel popping out could only be an issue if the frame had a rear-facing open dropout. Every mounting position on the rear stays would force the wheel back and up.