Hey Joerg Where you Been?

Old January 26th 19, 08:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Hey Joerg Where you Been?

On 2019-01-26 11:38, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Saturday, January 26, 2019 at 2:12:18 PM UTC-5, Joerg wrote:
Snipped

Broke the record of -21F? I am quite tolerant when it comes to
cold weather but there I would not ride. I rode at slightly below
0F but that's my limit.

-- Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Then you wouldn't get much riding in in many areas of the U.S.A. or
Canada where many people ride their bicycles in sub-zero weather most
days of the winter.

Got any examples _with_ pictures of the great masses riding their
bicycles at temps below 0F?

I only know about two guys who did that. One of them delivered Western
Union telegrams by bike during the great depression. He didn't like it
at all but had no choice. The other guy is Iohan and I am certainly not
this hardco

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0wAPztOO2U

Old January 26th 19, 08:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2019-01-26 10:37, AMuzi wrote:

[...]

Just another day of Global Warming he
https://www.channel3000.com/weather/...izon/990278578

Broke the record of -21F? I am quite tolerant when it comes
to cold weather but there I would not ride. I rode at
slightly below 0F but that's my limit.

It's warmer in Minneapolis and also at McMurdo.

Sometimes my wife and I are looking at places that have better state
government, meaning more conservative. Problem is, those are largely in
very chilly parts of the country and we both don't like that. Or there
is next to nothing in terms of good MTB turf. Maybe Southern Utah, some day.

Old January 27th 19, 12:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

On 2019-01-26 10:37, AMuzi wrote:

[...]

Just another day of Global Warming he
https://www.channel3000.com/weather/...-record-low-a-

winter-storm-and-more-dangerous-cold-on-the-horizon/990278578

Broke the record of -21F? I am quite tolerant when it comes to cold
weather but there I would not ride. I rode at slightly below 0F but
that's my limit.

It's warmer in Minneapolis and also at McMurdo.

Sometimes my wife and I are looking at places that have better state
government, meaning more conservative. Problem is, those are largely in
very chilly parts of the country and we both don't like that. Or there
is next to nothing in terms of good MTB turf. Maybe Southern Utah, some
day.

Err, ae you telling us that mountaind and a MTB don't go well together.
Bit of a rolls-cunhardly too?

Old January 27th 19, 01:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Saturday, January 26, 2019 at 8:01:45 AM UTC-8, Joerg wrote:
[...]

Where have I been? Many times on the bike. Yesterday on my mountain bike
all day long. Hope that's ok with you guys :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

What sort of MTB are you riding? Hard tail? Seems to me we had a discussion that you were commuting to work on a road bike and getting flats from rocks on a dirt road.
Old January 27th 19, 01:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 2019-01-26 10:37, AMuzi wrote:

[...]

Just another day of Global Warming he
https://www.channel3000.com/weather/...izon/990278578

Broke the record of -21F? I am quite tolerant when it comes
to cold weather but there I would not ride. I rode at
slightly below 0F but that's my limit.

It's warmer in Minneapolis and also at McMurdo.

Sometimes my wife and I are looking at places that have better state
government, meaning more conservative. Problem is, those are largely in
very chilly parts of the country and we both don't like that. Or there
is next to nothing in terms of good MTB turf. Maybe Southern Utah, some day.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Texas and Arizona are conservative right now. Problem is that too many Californians are moving into those places and it won't be long before they turn them into other Californias.
Old January 27th 19, 01:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On 2019-01-26 10:37, AMuzi wrote:
On 1/26/2019 11:32 AM, jbeattie wrote:
On Saturday, January 26, 2019 at 8:01:45 AM UTC-8, Joerg
wrote:
[...]

Where have I been? Many times on the bike. Yesterday on
my mountain bike
all day long. Hope that's ok with you guys :-)

Awesome! How's the weather?

Absolutely gorgeous day yesterday. Around 60F, sunshine all
day. Out of pure coincidence we happened upon the Red Bus
brew pub for fuel (Pilsener in my case but they have higher
octane stuff) where I could also buy brewing supplies. This
is one of the many reasons why my MTB has panniers plus a

https://behindthebrewscom.files.word...458.jpg?w=1200

Just another day of Global Warming he
https://www.channel3000.com/weather/...izon/990278578

Broke the record of -21F? I am quite tolerant when it comes
to cold weather but there I would not ride. I rode at
slightly below 0F but that's my limit.

It's warmer in Minneapolis and also at McMurdo.

But its summer at McMurdo. Warm breezes. Palm trees swaying in the wind. I had a great ride in dry 37F over cast with some fog in places. I was wearing my winter tights (thick and a little fleecy), a wool base layer to pay homage to my retro brothers, a Castelli winter weight slightly fleecy jersey and a vest. Wind covers for the shoes and probably too light long finger gloves. I had an earband, too. I got a little hot on the climbs and unzipped the vest, but it was otherwise perfect. Dressing right is a trick, and when you get it right . . . its the little things.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old January 27th 19, 04:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2019-01-26 10:37, AMuzi wrote:

[...]

Just another day of Global Warming he
https://www.channel3000.com/weather/...-record-low-a-

winter-storm-and-more-dangerous-cold-on-the-horizon/990278578

Broke the record of -21F? I am quite tolerant when it comes to cold
weather but there I would not ride. I rode at slightly below 0F but
that's my limit.

It's warmer in Minneapolis and also at McMurdo.

Sometimes my wife and I are looking at places that have better state
government, meaning more conservative. Problem is, those are largely in
very chilly parts of the country and we both don't like that. Or there
is next to nothing in terms of good MTB turf. Maybe Southern Utah, some
day.

Err, ae you telling us that mountaind and a MTB don't go well together.

Where did I say that? Utah has great MTB trails which is why that's an
area we are considering. Not St.George because I do not like big town
but maybe Hurricane.

Bit of a rolls-cunhardly too?

No idea what you mean.

If you travel around a bit you'll also notice that there are areas with
large mountains but where the use on an MTB is largely prohibited. Much
of the Alps in Europe, for example. So those are not areas I'd consider
to move to.

Old January 27th 19, 04:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2019-01-26 10:37, AMuzi wrote:

[...]

Just another day of Global Warming he
https://www.channel3000.com/weather/...izon/990278578

Broke the record of -21F? I am quite tolerant when it comes
to cold weather but there I would not ride. I rode at slightly
below 0F but that's my limit.

It's warmer in Minneapolis and also at McMurdo.

Sometimes my wife and I are looking at places that have better
state government, meaning more conservative. Problem is, those are
largely in very chilly parts of the country and we both don't like
that. Or there is next to nothing in terms of good MTB turf. Maybe
Southern Utah, some day.

-- Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Texas and Arizona are conservative right now. Problem is that too
many Californians are moving into those places and it won't be long
before they turn them into other Californias.

That, and many immigrants who often lean liberal once they become
citizens. If we ever move again I'll make 110% sure the area has a high
chance of remaining conservative as long as we live. With the last move
(to California) I had no choice because it was for work. Well, a little
bit of a choce in that I said I would not run the start-up if it was in
the Bay Area. So it ended up being Rancho Cordova, well north east of there.

Old January 27th 19, 04:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2019-01-26 16:09, wrote:
On Saturday, January 26, 2019 at 8:01:45 AM UTC-8, Joerg wrote:
[...]

Where have I been? Many times on the bike. Yesterday on my mountain
bike all day long. Hope that's ok with you guys :-)

-- Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

What sort of MTB are you riding? Hard tail? Seems to me we had a
discussion that you were commuting to work on a road bike and getting
flats from rocks on a dirt road.

A Fuji Outland 1.5D 29er but it's usually not this clean and now has two
8" rotors:

http://www.analogconsultants.com/ng/bike/Muddy4.JPG

The tubes are thick thorn-resistant versions plus there are tire liners
in there and the tire liners are slid into a reguar good quality tube
with the valve removed and slotted (to prevent chafing). Flats? What's
that? Can't remember one in years and I ride some nasty turf. A typical
route he

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5cjAW_nrl4

Interestingly, low cost tires of Thai origin seem to last longest,
around 800mi in back versus 500-600mi for more expensive tire. I've had
pricier ones fail in the sidewalls and no tube can protect you then. I
like sturdy meaty sidewalls in a tire. Yeah, they are heavy but so is
the whole bike. I rather go up a hill at 1mph less but not become
stranded with a blown tire out in the sticks.