RR: Early morning bliSS

Old July 24th 04, 08:52 PM
Gman

Default RR: Early morning bliSS

Sidewinder, a beautiful trail. It's only curse is that it's
very close to town, and gets a lot of use. It provides a
scenic view of downtown Boise as it climbs into the
foothills.

I decided to ride EARLY Thurdsay morning...so early it was
dark for half of my climb. But this assured me that the
trail would be all mine.

As the name implies, Sidewinder has lots of fun banked turns
and it's relative smooth...a perfect SS playground.

What a hoot zipping down to the music of the sunrise...no
chain slap, no creaky pivots, just the buzz of the ACS claw
freewheel... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Gman
Old July 25th 04, 04:46 AM
Paladin

Gman wrote in message ...
Sidewinder, a beautiful trail. It's only curse is that it's
very close to town, and gets a lot of use. It provides a
scenic view of downtown Boise as it climbs into the
foothills.

I decided to ride EARLY Thurdsay morning...so early it was
dark for half of my climb. But this assured me that the
trail would be all mine.

As the name implies, Sidewinder has lots of fun banked turns
and it's relative smooth...a perfect SS playground.

What a hoot zipping down to the music of the sunrise...no
chain slap, no creaky pivots, just the buzz of the ACS claw
freewheel... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Gman

brings back some memories, it does: http://tinyurl.com/53cza

paladin
Old July 25th 04, 02:18 PM
justen

Paladin wrote:
Gman wrote in message ...

Sidewinder, a beautiful trail. It's only curse is that it's
very close to town, and gets a lot of use. It provides a
scenic view of downtown Boise as it climbs into the
foothills.

I decided to ride EARLY Thurdsay morning...so early it was
dark for half of my climb. But this assured me that the
trail would be all mine.

As the name implies, Sidewinder has lots of fun banked turns
and it's relative smooth...a perfect SS playground.

What a hoot zipping down to the music of the sunrise...no
chain slap, no creaky pivots, just the buzz of the ACS claw
freewheel... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Gman

brings back some memories, it does: http://tinyurl.com/53cza

paladin

Geez, reports like that could almost give me the crazy notion of
converting my old, rigid, steel stumpjumper commuter into a single speed.

justen
Old July 25th 04, 04:58 PM
Gman

On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 06:18:59 -0700, justen wrote:
Paladin wrote:

snip

brings back some memories, it does: http://tinyurl.com/53cza

paladin

Geez, reports like that could almost give me the crazy notion of
converting my old, rigid, steel stumpjumper commuter into a single speed.

justen

They're great fun Justen. The bike I had back then was an
old Specialized S-Works. Here is the evolution of that:
http://www.geocities.com/glaprade/SS/

Than last year I decided I liked it enough to buy a Surly:
http://www.geocities.com/glaprade/Surly/

However, everything has it's limits.

I decided to ride yesterday between 1430-1600 (95-100
degrees according to NOAA). I had the 32x17 engaged on the
Surly and really wanted to ride the front-side Table Rock
trail (I live near TR).

Long story short...I couldn't do it. I got up a few hundred
yards to where it gets REALLY steep and was just out of gas
and overheated. It would have been tough on a geared bike
too in that heat, but I think I could have made it.

Anyway, so I bombed down and rolled over and did the
less-steep Castle Rock Ridge and then back home.

I still love the Singles for Boise tho...there are very many
trails that are such a hoot on those bikes. Sidewinder and
Hulls are two of the best. Shanes, Corrals, up or down Bobs
(I can actually clear way more stuff on my Single than I can
on the geared bike)...fun stuff...

Old July 26th 04, 03:51 AM
Gman

On 25 Jul 2004 15:58:14 GMT, Gman wrote:

Long story short...I couldn't do it. I got up a few hundred
yards to where it gets REALLY steep and was just out of gas
and overheated. It would have been tough on a geared bike
too in that heat, but I think I could have made it.

Uh, I take that back. Went out on the FS today at mid-day,
and although I didn't do Table Rock, I overheated just as
quick...ugh. Gotta be good training tho! =)