My Shimano gripe

Old December 10th 03, 02:32 AM
Mojo Deluxe

Default My Shimano gripe

I went with the XTR disc brakes, and while placing the order, I did decide
to ask if they came with the hoses, with the answer being no, so what looked
like a good deal on some decent brakes were not as good as I thought. I had
to shell out another $60 for hoses. Since I'm running XT levers, I thought
to ask if I needed XT hoses, or would XTR be fine. Nope, I needed to go with
XT hoses, as the connection was different at the levers. Still, $250 for
brakes, $60 for hoses, and another $58 for levers, is not so bad compared to
others.

The real kicker was the fact after getting all that, I still do not have
oil, or a bleed kit.....it has to be ordered separately. I'm sure I can make
it myself if I had the time, but what the hell. I'm so close to having this
thing done, damn it!

Mojo

Old December 10th 03, 02:48 AM
Slacker

[...]

I hate to do this bro, but... HAHAHAHAHA SUCKA!!!!!

Should've frig'n got Hayes, man!
--
Slacker

Old December 10th 03, 03:08 AM
Mojo Deluxe

"Slacker" wrote in message
[...]

You're a mean rat *******!!1!

Should've frig'n got Hayes, man!

I dunno. Lemme run these for awhile first, then I'll let ya know. My bike
mechanic friend is a Hayes man, but said these are pretty nice brakes. He
just said that I should make sure I put some Locktite on the screw that
holds the pads, and repace the flimsy clip on the end of it with e-clips,
all will be well in the world.

Old December 10th 03, 04:10 AM
Michael Dart

"Slacker" wrote in message
[...]

Yup. Everything you need all in one box. Even a Torx key to mount the
rotor.

Mike

Old December 10th 03, 10:04 AM
Per Elmsäter

Mojo Deluxe wrote:
I went with the XTR disc brakes, and while placing the order, I did
decide to ask if they came with the hoses, with the answer being no,
so what looked like a good deal on some decent brakes were not as
good as I thought. I had to shell out another $60 for hoses. Since
I'm running XT levers, I thought to ask if I needed XT hoses, or
would XTR be fine. Nope, I needed to go with XT hoses, as the
connection was different at the levers. Still, $250 for brakes, $60
for hoses, and another $58 for levers, is not so bad compared to
others.

The real kicker was the fact after getting all that, I still do not
have oil, or a bleed kit.....it has to be ordered separately. I'm
sure I can make it myself if I had the time, but what the hell. I'm
so close to having this thing done, damn it!

Mojo

Yeah, they can be a pain in the ass sometimes and especially so with their
high end products. It seems that they are reasoning something like. If we
got you this far then you are a real sucker and we'll keep sucking.
Worst thing is they are right. I love my XTR disc brakes.
BTW get the big bottle of mineral oil. It's only twice the price but lots
more oil.

--
Perre

Old December 10th 03, 05:59 PM
Jonesy

"Mojo Deluxe" wrote in message . ..
I went with the XTR disc brakes, and while placing the order, I did decide
to ask if they came with the hoses, with the answer being no, so what looked
like a good deal on some decent brakes were not as good as I thought. I had
to shell out another $60 for hoses. Since I'm running XT levers, I thought
to ask if I needed XT hoses, or would XTR be fine. Nope, I needed to go with
XT hoses, as the connection was different at the levers. Still, $250 for
brakes, $60 for hoses, and another $58 for levers, is not so bad compared to
others.

The real kicker was the fact after getting all that, I still do not have
oil, or a bleed kit.....it has to be ordered separately. I'm sure I can make
it myself if I had the time, but what the hell. I'm so close to having this
thing done, damn it!

Some people do actually have more money than sense.

Ooops, I just described singlespeeders.

JUST KIDDING - don't kill me! (Please.)

Seriously, man - why in the HELL would you spend that kind of coin on
a brake system that's not as good as Hope's or even Hayes', for that
matter? And with all it's proprietary crap. I could see if you got a
sweet deal somewhere, but DAMN!

Hey, it's your money, spend it exactly as you please. Don't let any
USENET asshole convince you otherwise.

But hey, if you have any extra cash around, I'd love to have some.
--
Jonesy
Old December 10th 03, 06:56 PM
JD

Avid Mechanicals

JD
Old December 10th 03, 08:18 PM

Hayes been making disc brakes as long as I can
remember. Back in the 70s for Harley Davidson. Oh yes that was when I
was an outlaw biker. Now I'm just old mountain biker that turns 50 next
week.

Fire up MTB 03

Old December 10th 03, 11:19 PM
Zilla

....the reason I went Avid mechs for now...

--
- Zilla
Cary, NC

Old December 13th 03, 05:33 PM
Mojo Deluxe

wrote in message
Hayes been making disc brakes as long as I can
remember. Back in the 70s for Harley Davidson. Oh yes that was when I
was an outlaw biker. Now I'm just old mountain biker that turns 50 next
week.

Happy birthday. I hope I'm an old mountain biker at 50 one day.

Shimano delays Kaputnik General 5 June 28th 04 01:07 PM
Doable - a 9 gear Shimano Cluster on a 7 speed Shimano Exage hub? Peter General 4 April 29th 04 09:52 AM
Why is Shimano so hated by some? Chris B. Mountain Biking 4 December 3rd 03 06:51 PM
SRAM vs SHimano Edward Holt Mountain Biking 7 August 28th 03 03:40 PM
Shimano chains... Chris Mountain Biking 3 July 13th 03 06:40 AM