Chain rubs next gear on upper half of 8 speed cassette.

Old May 10th 08, 09:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Chain rubs next gear on upper half of 8 speed cassette.

I have an old Pinarello Stelvio from 1996 with Campa Athena
components. I am having great difficulty adjusting the back derailleur
properly. No matter how I adjust the derailleur, the top four gears of
the cassette will not shift correctly. If the chain is on the fourth
gear, it regularly touches the fifth gear, the same for each following
gear. If I adjust the wire tension so that the chain doesn't touch,
the tension is so loose that the shift from the eighth gear to the
seventh gear won't work and the shift from the first to the second
won't work either.

I have spent hours trying to get it working as it used to, but no
luck. The low and high of the derailleur is correctly adjusted. I have
replaced both cable housings and wires. The chain and cassette are not
old. I can't understand how the jumps of the derailleur are not
constant. It is as if the derailleur travels too far when moving
toward the upper gears.

The back wheel is not a Campa hub, but a Mavic 571 with a Campa
cassette. The combination of the Mavic hub and Campa derailleur has
always worked well in the past.

Any help or advice would be appreciated. If the shifter or derailleur
need replacing is there a modern Campa that would still work with my 8
speed setup?
Old May 10th 08, 09:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_2_]

wrote:
[...]

Did you attached the cable correct under the clamping screw
Worn upper pulley (to much play)?

Lou
Old May 10th 08, 10:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
A Muzi

In order, check for:
Bent gear tab
Bent derailleur
Kinked or binding or frayed gear wire/ casing/ ferrules

worn/wrong chain
Loose cassette lockring
Cassette spacers askew or cogs assembled awry after cleaning
Worn Ergo springs (rebuild w/ new springs $9.95 set)

When you need to replace major components, plan to go to the 9/10 hub.
Limited support for 8 now. The later hubs are superior in every respect
and it's been 10 years...
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

wrote:
[...]

** Posted from
http://www.teranews.com **
Old May 10th 08, 11:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:
[...]

I have never had a crash with the bike. All the cables and casings are
new. Cassette lockring is on tight and the cassette spacers are ok.
Don't know about the Ergo springs. I live in Sweden so don't know
about the availability of new springs or if anyone would be able to
fix them.

I don't know all that much about new hubs, but the Mavic 571 are very
good hubs. I don't care much for Campa's new carbon look, but don't
want to change brand either.
Old May 11th 08, 01:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Carl Sundquist

wrote in message
On May 10, 11:05 pm, A Muzi wrote:
In order, check for:
Bent gear tab
Bent derailleur
Kinked or binding or frayed gear wire/ casing/ ferrules

I have never had a crash with the bike. All the cables and casings are
new.
-----------------------
You don't have to crash on the bike to bend the dropout or derailleur. If
the bike falls over on it's right side or something is knocked against it,
it can bend the dropout. My dropout is aluminum and I check it every couple
of months. Seems like it needs a bit of straightening more often than not.

Old May 11th 08, 06:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On May 11, 2:45*am, "Carl Sundquist" wrote:
wrote in message

On May 10, 11:05 pm, A Muzi wrote:

In order, check for:
Bent gear tab
Bent derailleur
Kinked or binding or frayed gear wire/ casing/ ferrules

I have never had a crash with the bike. All the cables and casings are
new.
-----------------------
You don't have to crash on the bike to bend the dropout or derailleur. If
the bike falls over on it's right side or something is knocked against it,
it can bend the dropout. My dropout is aluminum and I check it every couple
of months. Seems like it needs a bit of straightening more often than not.

The bike has not fallen over or been hit in the last two years, if
ever. If it was bent, why would half the gears work, but half not work?
Old May 11th 08, 01:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com is offline
Banned

On May 10, 2:54*pm, Lou Holtman wrote:
wrote:
[...]

I guessing this one as well. Cable under the bolt, under, not thru,
the plate.
Old May 11th 08, 03:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On May 11, 12:59*am, wrote:

The bike has not fallen over or been hit in the last two years, if
ever. If it was bent, why would half the gears work, but half not work?

(the peanut gallery speaks)

I had a pair of NOS Record Ergo brifters where the G springs failed
very soon after installation. The symptoms were similar-- I didn't see
chain rubbing cogs, but the bike would shift one half, low or high, of
the 9sp cluster accurately, but not the other half, and I couldn't
seem to adjust for full range correct positioning. The springs soon
got bad enough that the problem became obvious (which always helps,
no?).

New G springs, problems fixed, except for the slight fiddling
adjustments that my 8 and 9sp Ergos have always seemed to need from
time to time.

Excuse me, I can imagine an occurrence where a bike might have
received an injury that was not reported to the owner. So, maybe it
wouldn't hurt anything to check alignment, just to be sure. --D-y
Old May 11th 08, 08:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Just a thought, you have a 12 year old bike with
high mileage, check the wobble of the deraileur cogs for
play. If you deraileur is not shifting correctly swap out for
new cogs. I swapped out my old cogs for new ones and
shifting is crisp like new.
I'm not going into dicussing springs or cables, but if you can't adjust the
deraileur to work right suspect a worn part. I would swap out for new cogs.
They are like 10 bucks at performance bike.

Old May 12th 08, 05:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Hi,

thanks for all the answers. I will look into the cogs, but I decided
to invest in a new drive chain. 12 years is a long time and I don't
think I can find somebody in Sweden to rebuild my ergopowers - Centaur
2006 Ergopower brifters, Veloce back derailleur, Centaur front
derailleur, Veloce cassette and a Ksyrium Elite back wheel. I normally
build my own wheels, but that isn't all that cheap and I wanted to try
something prebuilt. I don't care much for the carbon look that Campa
has, at least not on my old Pinarello, one of the reasons if decided
on the 2006 Centaur brifters.