SUV bikes?

Old January 10th 09, 03:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Default SUV bikes?

aka Cullen Carter wrote:
Hello,

I was looking around on the Surly website, and found a terrific
looking bike called the "Big Dummy" [
http://www.surlybikes.com/
bd_comp.html].

It appears to be the SUV of velocipedes. Does anybody know of similar
bicycles?

This is THE pedal powered SUV:
http://organicengines.com/products/the-sensible-utility-vehicle-aka-the-suv/.

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
LOCAL CACTUS EATS CYCLIST - datakoll
Old January 11th 09, 01:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
terryc

On Sat, 10 Jan 2009 09:36:40 -0600, Tom Sherman wrote:

This is THE pedal powered SUV:

Is there a decent picture anywhere?

not sure that lean-only steering is that useful.
Old January 11th 09, 01:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Tom Sherman[_2_]

terryc wrote:
On Sat, 10 Jan 2009 09:36:40 -0600, Tom Sherman wrote:

This is THE pedal powered SUV:

Is there a decent picture anywhere?

not sure that lean-only steering is that useful.

Here is one set up as an rickshaw:
http://www.organicengines.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/BeachCab.jpg.

Old January 11th 09, 04:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
terryc

On Sat, 10 Jan 2009 19:13:48 -0600, Tom Sherman wrote:

http://www.organicengines.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/BeachCab.jpg

Thank, useful
Yes, seen the design before.
Old January 11th 09, 06:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

On Jan 10, 8:06*pm, terryc wrote:
On Sat, 10 Jan 2009 09:36:40 -0600, Tom Sherman wrote:
This is THE pedal powered SUV:

Is there a decent picture anywhere?

not sure that lean-only steering is that useful.

I built a copy of one of these, and use it quite a bit. Yes, the lean
steer makes for a wide turning radius, and I needed to add inner-tube
bungee cords to help pull the front end back on centre after turning.
But the biggest improvement was adding electric assist, because I
often have to carry 200 lbs. of gear:

http://drumbent.com/trike.html (includes full build details)

What would I change? I'd thought of going to a fixed-boom flex-chain
FWD set-up, but that'd be a lot of effort, and the beast has worked
well over the past five years. I'll think about changing it if the
thing ever needs to be rebuilt.

Mark
Old January 11th 09, 09:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
terryc

On Sun, 11 Jan 2009 10:57:27 -0800, mark wrote:

On Jan 10, 8:06Â*pm, terryc wrote:
On Sat, 10 Jan 2009 09:36:40 -0600, Tom Sherman wrote:
This is THE pedal powered SUV:

Is there a decent picture anywhere?

not sure that lean-only steering is that useful.

I built a copy of one of these, and use it quite a bit. Yes, the lean
steer makes for a wide turning radius, and I needed to add inner-tube
bungee cords to help pull the front end back on centre after turning.

Does it stay on centre/ahead once you have it there, or tend to turn to
one or the other side? Is that response load affected?

But the biggest improvement was adding electric assist, because I often
have to carry 200 lbs. of gear:

http://drumbent.com/trike.html (includes full build details)

thanks. Very helpful.
Old January 12th 09, 09:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

On Jan 10, 8:06*pm, terryc wrote:
On Sat, 10 Jan 2009 09:36:40 -0600, Tom Sherman wrote:
This is THE pedal powered SUV:

Is there a decent picture anywhere?

not sure that lean-only steering is that useful.

I built a copy of one of these, and use it quite a bit. Yes, the lean
steer makes for a wide turning radius, and I needed to add inner-tube
bungee cords to help pull the front end back on centre after turning.

Does it stay on centre/ahead once you have it there, or tend to turn to
one or the other side? Is that response load affected?

Yes, it does stay centred, but that does depend on the amount of road
crown (some of our roads here in Ottawa have a fair bit of that). The
bungees more or less eliminate the crown issue. The response does not
seem to be load affected.

But the biggest improvement was adding electric assist, because I often
have to carry 200 lbs. of gear:

http://drumbent.com/trike.html(includes full build details)

thanks. Very helpful.

You're welcome. There's more at my blog (though not a lot of posts on
it in 2008): http://drumbent.blogspot.com/search/label/trike

Mark