You're riding in traffic buddy!

Old July 6th 05, 01:15 PM
Euan

Default You're riding in traffic buddy!

Sitting at the lights on the junction of Clarendon Street and Normanby
Road this morning, lights go green. Correctly positioned a meter out
from the kerb, power off and getting my other clip in (get it first go
nine times out of ten).

Next thing I know there's a roadie (excuse the label please) level with
me bawling ``Passing left'' as his front wheel passes mine.

Really? So glad he pointed it out or I wouldn't have noticed. Thanks
for the warning.

What made it amusing was said roadie obviously had limited traffic
skills. I say this 'cause he hugged the kerb and had to slow down due
to another kerb hugger going much slower than him. Being correctly
positioned in the road I didn't even have to deviate from my course as I
serenely wafted past him.

Why oh why do some people think they're in a race when they're in
traffic? Is sixty seconds out of life worth risking your whole life or
indeed other people's lives?
--
Cheers | ~~ __@
Euan | ~~ _-\,
Old July 6th 05, 02:35 PM
aeek

Euan Wrote:

Next thing I know there's a roadie (excuse the label please) leve
with
me bawling ``Passing left'' as his front wheel passes mine.

Really? So glad he pointed it out or I wouldn't have noticed. Thanks
for the warning.

What made it amusing was said roadie obviously had limited traffic
skills. I say this 'cause he hugged the kerb and had to slow down due
to another kerb hugger going much slower than him. Being correctly
positioned in the road I didn't even have to deviate from my course a
serenely wafted past him.

Why oh why do some people think they're in a race when they're in
traffic? Is sixty seconds out of life worth risking your whole lif
or
indeed other people's lives?

Late passing call, he prolly indicates like that too when driving too
Useless, and he thinks he's doing the right thing. Aaagh.
That he then didn't instantly overtake the slower rider ahead, what'
wrong with that. Its as if he knew it wasn't a race.

With you on the curbhugging

--
aeek

Old July 6th 05, 02:54 PM
Euan

"aeek" == aeek writes:

aeek That he then didn't instantly overtake the slower rider ahead,
aeek what's wrong with that. Its as if he knew it wasn't a race.

I'm less charitable, I put it down to his rather obvious curb hugging
bent. I bet he's so used to having cars brush by him with centimeters
to spare that he didn't even think of trying to go around the slower
bike in front.
--
Cheers | ~~ __@
Euan | ~~ _-\,
Old July 6th 05, 03:29 PM
aeek

Reminded of last week,I was disrespectfully watching this rider ahea
keeping to the far left of the breakdown lane, relabelled bike lane.
As expected he didn't use greenfill lane across the exit. He kept lef
and turned hard right at the last moment across the now exitting cars
Fortunately there was enough separation so he didn't get himsel
nailed. I don't think he even looked, but I wasn't close enough to b
sure

--
aeek

Old July 7th 05, 03:54 AM
Carl Brewer

On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 12:15:35 GMT, Euan wrote:

Why oh why do some people think they're in a race when they're in
traffic? Is sixty seconds out of life worth risking your whole life or
indeed other people's lives?

You could ask the same thing of the dangerous idiots in cars
who insist on being first to red lights, and object to being
"stuck" behind a bicycle even when said bicycle is
doing at least the posted speed limit!

Old July 7th 05, 05:35 AM
flyingdutch

Carl Brewer Wrote:

You could ask the same thing of the dangerous idiots in cars
who insist on being first to red lights, and object to being
"stuck" behind a bicycle even when said bicycle is
doing at least the posted speed limit!

you cant arfue with maths!

"I'm in a car. He/she is on a bike.
ergo I can go faster.
ergo i MUST go faster.
AND i have a penis so i must go FASTER, FASTER"

Lotte with the shotty has the right idea :rolleyes

--
flyingdutch

Old July 7th 05, 06:04 AM
LotteBum

Dutchy wrote

Lotte with the shotty has the right idea :rolleyes

That's right. The world isn't worth getting upset about. GET ANGRY.
GET A SHOTTY.

LotteBu

P.S. I'm yet to use the key grab 'n' throw technique, but I promise
will do this as soon as I get the opportunity

P.P.S. I got tailgated by a frigging 4WD the other night and considere
pulling over, but decided against it. Over the hill was a cop with
radar. About 500m up the road, I passed my b!tch, pulled over, flashe
my headlights at the 4WD driving f*cksnot, hoping he'd pull over so Pau
could hold him down whilst I smash my stiletto repeatedly in his face.
Needless to say, I was FUMING

--
LotteBum

Old July 9th 05, 02:01 AM
John Stevenson

LotteBum wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

Lotte with the shotty has the right idea

That's right. The world isn't worth getting upset about. GET ANGRY.
GET A SHOTTY.

LotteBum

P.S. I'm yet to use the key grab 'n' throw technique, but I promise I
will do this as soon as I get the opportunity.

P.P.S. I got tailgated by a frigging 4WD the other night and considered
pulling over

I just take my foot off the gas. I figure anyone that close is not going
to be able to stop without hitting me if I have to do an emergency stop,
so I reduce everyone's risk by massively dropping my speed.
Old July 9th 05, 04:22 PM
Random Data

John Stevenson wrote:

I just take my foot off the gas. I figure anyone that close is not going
to be able to stop without hitting me if I have to do an emergency stop,
so I reduce everyone's risk by massively dropping my speed.

The issue with that is that some people are so incredibly ****ing
stupid that they'll overtake you on a winding double lined road if you
drop to 10km/h below the speed limit. Even though it's their fault,
you're still going to feel crappy to see them take out a car full of
kids [1] right next to you. I've no objection to auto-Darwination, but
taking others with you is Right Out.

I don't tend to be tailgated on winding roads, at least past the first
corner. It's amazing (and scary) how as a general rule the most
impatient and pushy drivers are the worst when it comes to more skills
than pushing the right pedal.

Anyway, don't you have a website to update?

[1] Think of the Children!!!

Old July 10th 05, 12:14 AM
Euan

"Random" == Random Data writes:

Random The issue with that is that some people are so incredibly
Random ****ing stupid that they'll overtake you on a winding double
Random lined road if you drop to 10km/h below the speed limit. Even
Random though it's their fault, you're still going to feel crappy
Random to see them take out a car full of kids [1] right next to
Random you. I've no objection to auto-Darwination, but taking
Random others with you is Right Out.

Bull****.

If someone's right up my arse the only thing I can do to
protect myself is to slow down. Slowing down gives me much more time to
react to changing road conditions and avoids the need for harsh braking
which the fool behind me may not be able to react to.

If said fool takes out a car full of kids that's the fool's fault, not
mine. The fool is the one that's taken others with him, not me. ``If
only I was going faster'' is the last thing that will enter my head
because there's nothing I can do to affect a fool's driving.

It's a speed LIMIT, not a MINIMUM like most motorists seem to believe.
--
Cheers | ~~ __@
Euan | ~~ _-\,

Notes from CM militants Velo Social Issues 0 July 11th 05 05:45 PM
Trotwood OH Cyclist Wins Traffic Ticket Appeal [email protected] Social Issues 1 December 6th 04 12:21 PM
Bicyclists going wrong way and other crimes Roger Zoul General 337 August 12th 04 12:58 PM
Road or Sidewalk? K-Man General 74 June 19th 04 12:26 AM
The way to break out of the pro-car, anti-car debate? DRS Australia 73 June 2nd 04 12:58 PM