Old (Antique?) 9-Speed Bike

Old January 16th 06, 10:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Old (Antique?) 9-Speed Bike

When I was a kid I had a book called "The Boy Mechanic" published by
Popular Mechanics. For some reason I just recalled one project to
build a "9-Speed Bike". I seem to remember it involved grafting a
three-speed freewheel onto a Sturmey-Archer three-speed hub. I was
wondering if anyone else remembers this. Sounds like something Sheldon
might have built just for fun.

jeverett3ATearthlinkDOTnet http://home.earthlink.net/~jeverett3
Old January 16th 06, 10:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 21:43:45 GMT, John Everett
wrote:

When I was a kid I had a book called "The Boy Mechanic" published by
Popular Mechanics. For some reason I just recalled one project to
build a "9-Speed Bike". I seem to remember it involved grafting a
three-speed freewheel onto a Sturmey-Archer three-speed hub. I was
wondering if anyone else remembers this. Sounds like something Sheldon
might have built just for fun.

Sheldon carried it *much* farther.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/otb.html

63 speeds.

Nothing exceeds like excess.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
Old January 17th 06, 01:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

John Everett wrote:

When I was a kid I had a book called "The Boy Mechanic" published by
Popular Mechanics. For some reason I just recalled one project to
build a "9-Speed Bike". I seem to remember it involved grafting a
three-speed freewheel onto a Sturmey-Archer three-speed hub. I was
wondering if anyone else remembers this. Sounds like something Sheldon
might have built just for fun.

I did indeed, starting when I was in high school. Not sure what you
mean by "just for fun" this was a pretty practical setup back in the
day. Made it possible to have a wide range of gears with close jumps
between.

I had my Elswick Tour Anglais set up as a 12 speed in 1959 or '60
(4-speed Sturmey-Archer hub, 3 sprockets, Benelux Mark VIII derailer.

My first home-built tandem, about the same time, was a 9-speed (3 x 3)

A year or two later I had my Elswick Lincoln Imp built up as a 24 speed,
3-speed hub, 4 sprockets, 2 chainrings.

I didn't learn this from a book, but I had excellent guidance from Ed
Townsend of the Bi-Ex in Cambridge, Mass.

My O.T.B. has had various gearing setups. When I bought it, it was an
8-speed derailer (4 x 2) then later a 10-speed derailer (5x2) then a 30
speed hybrid setup (3 speed hub, 5 sprockets, two chainrings) and
currently a 63 speed hybrid (3 speed hub, 7 sprockets, 3 chainrings.)

My most recent home-built kidback tandem was a 54 speed (as above but
only 6 sprockets, 14-36 (the 36 was originally a TA chainring)

My kids' BMX tandem is a 6 speed, 3 speed hub with two sprockets.

Sheldon "http://sheldonbrown.org/bicycles.html" Brown
| Without deviation from the norm, |
| progress is not possible |
| -- Frank Zappa |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

Old January 18th 06, 03:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

John Everett wrote:

When I was a kid I had a book called "The Boy Mechanic" published by
Popular Mechanics. For some reason I just recalled one project to
build a "9-Speed Bike". I seem to remember it involved grafting a
three-speed freewheel onto a Sturmey-Archer three-speed hub. I was
wondering if anyone else remembers this. Sounds like something Sheldon
might have built just for fun.

jeverett3ATearthlinkDOTnet http://home.earthlink.net/~jeverett3

As regularly recounted here, that was a popular dealer
option from Raleigh for many long years. The kit, from
Cyclo, included a rear changer, pretty aluminum downtube
lever and full-casing control cable, extra chain links and
either a two or three cog assembly to snap on your Sturmey
driver. They were very cheap and went through periods of
popularity as a dealer add-on.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Old January 18th 06, 04:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

When I was a kid I had a book called "The Boy Mechanic" published by
Popular Mechanics. For some reason I just recalled one project to
build a "9-Speed Bike". I seem to remember it involved grafting a
three-speed freewheel onto a Sturmey-Archer three-speed hub. I was
wondering if anyone else remembers this. Sounds like something Sheldon
might have built just for fun.

Sheldon carried it *much* farther.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/otb.html

63 speeds.

Nothing exceeds like excess.

The use of the older Sachs/SRAM Spectro 3x7 hub for 63-speed
drivetrains (and the newer 3x7/8/9 SRAM DualDrive for 63/72/81 speeds)
in combination with a triple crank is not uncommon on recumbent
bicycles that can use both lower and higher gears than an upright road
bike. On my heavy but aerodynamic bike [1] the 3x7 hub provided two (2)
very useful extra ratios at each end of the range. There did end up
being about 40 near duplicate ratios, however.

[1] See http://www.ransbikes.com/Gallery/Archive/Sherman.htm.

--
Tom Sherman - Fox River Valley