Lacing suggestions

Old May 8th 08, 06:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Lacing suggestions

Hi All,

I recently bought some pre-built wheels which turned out to not really
be up to the task. So now I am going to build some replacements.

First a little background on wheels I have and their various strengths
and weaknesses.

The pre-builts had 20 bladed radial spokes in front, 24 2x bladed
back. The rear hub had high and narrow flanges. The rear felt ok
(until I broke the freehub), but the front was too flexible. The
brakes would rub when I stood. These had 50mm deep aero section.

My every-day wheels are 28 2x front, 32 3x back. Ultegra hubs,
Velocity Deep-V rims. Those are rock solid and plenty stiff. Just not
very aero, and heavy.

I have also a set of lightweight tubulars which are 28 radial front,
28 back 2x drive side, radial NDS. These are on American Classic hubs
which are very narrow with virtually no dish, so the radial NDS is
probably dumb. These wheels are very light, but the rear has a
disconcerting springiness to it. My suspicions are that the narrow
flange spacing and radial NDS are the main culprits. I only mention
these wheels are evidence of why I am skeptical of radial NDS.

So on to the new wheels. The rims are 28h 50mm deep carbon. 32 was not
available. The hubs are Dura Ace 7800. Dura Ace have wider flanges
than the AC, so I'm not too worried about the wheels being too floppy.
I want aero, but also I want solid out of saddle feel like my Deep-
V's.

But the question is whether radial up front will provide a more
laterally stiff wheel, or should I go with 2x? Spokes wil be CX-Ray.
On the rear, it will be 2x drive side, but what about radial NDS? Is
there any real reason I should do that? Any reason not to use CX-Ray
on all 28, or should drive side be different? Rider weight 205lbs.

Joseph
Old May 8th 08, 07:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On May 8, 12:36*pm, "
wrote:
[...]

Friend of mine built radial with Dura-Ace hubs and broke the flange -
one on the front hub then one on the rear. I recommend crossed spokes.
Old May 8th 08, 10:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On May 8, 9:43*pm, Colin Campbell wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Joseph,
Be sure you weigh the wheels you have, including the "every day" wheels.

I was surprised recently to learn that my shop-built wheels on one bike
were NOT tons heavier than the pair of Bontrager Race Lite wheels that I
recently took off of the other bike. *I only got as far as weighing the
rear wheels, but the Campy Record/32 DT Swiss spoke/Velocity AeroHead
wheel with the Record cassette on it was only 90 grams heavier than the
24 spoke Race Lite, without a cassette. *Unless the Ti/Steel cassette is
awfully light, I was going to do a swap and end up with a heavier rear
wheel and bike.

Now I'm reduced to switching from wire bead Vittoria Rubinos to folding
Rubino Pros to save any more weight. *There are 160 grams to be gained
there.

I may have to start eating carefully again....

My Ultegra/Deep-V's aren't that bad, but my lightweight set (built
myself) beats them by about 1100g!

The new ones I'll be making with the DA hubs will be well heavier than
those, but still quite a bit lighter than the every day wheels. But
most importantly, they will be much more aero. Once done, I will have
3 wheelsets each with a distinct character: rugged, light, aero.

Joseph
Old May 8th 08, 11:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
daveornee[_202_]

Wrote:
[...]

Radial provides the stiffest wheel especially if you do heads in:
1. Spokes are the shortest possible
2. Spoke support angle is the highest possible.

Radial NDS only makes sense if you do heads out to attain a lower spoke
support angle compared to 2X and thus a more even balance of spoke
tension left to right.
CX-Ray are very durable, light and aero, but they aren't as stiff as
14/15 DB spokes. As you well know, they are ~5x more expensive per
spoke compared to Sapim Race 14/15 DB. I don't think you get much of
the aero contribution from the spokes in the DS rear.

--
daveornee

Old May 9th 08, 04:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ron Ruff

On May 8, 11:36*am, "
wrote:
But the question is whether radial up front will provide a more
laterally stiff wheel, or should I go with 2x? Spokes wil be CX-Ray.
On the rear, it will be 2x drive side, but what about radial NDS? Is
there any real reason I should do that? Any reason not to use CX-Ray
on all 28, or should drive side be different? Rider weight 205lbs.

Depends somewhat on the stiffness of the rims... but I'll assume that
they are pretty stiff. If you are using new Dura Ace hubs, then they
should be ok for radial. These will be your "aero" wheels so low gear
mashing is not something you need to worry about... so 2x DS and
radial NDS should be fine. I lace hubs with that spacing radial heads
in on the NDS... the wider bracing angle improves the lateral
stiffness, and provided that you have adequate tension on the DS, you
won't have to worry about the NDS spokes going slack. The NDS tension
will be ~half the DS. Lace the front radial heads-in. Use CX-Rays all
around.
Old May 9th 08, 07:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On May 9, 5:19*am, Ron Ruff wrote:
On May 8, 11:36*am, "

wrote:
[...]

Sounds good. But is there any specific reason I would be better off
with radial NDS over 2x all the way? While the wheels are aero and
will be used in races that take advantage of that, it may well happen
that there will be short steep hill sprints which will result in huge
torque.

Joseph

Joseph
Old May 9th 08, 01:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com is offline
Banned

On May 8, 11:36*am, "
wrote:
[...]

At 205 pounds and remembering that CX-rays are pretty thin, 2 cross
front and 3 cross rear, laced inside pulling or head-out, due to the
pulling spoke flange overlap. If you were starting from scratch, at
least 32h rear, IMO.
Old May 9th 08, 02:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
daveornee[_203_]

Wrote:
On May 9, 5:19*am, Ron Ruff wrote:
On May 8, 11:36*am, "

wrote:
[...]

Different lacing patterns do different things in response to dynamic
Ron Ruff's radial NDS side suggestion would give you the stiffest wheel
because the NDS spokes heads in give the highest possible spoke support
angle along with the shortest possible spoke length. My suggestion of
heads out gives a more tension balanced approach making the NDS spokes
take up more of the load. Either way, if any torque is transmitted to
the NDS side spokes, they will increase in tension due to the torque.
If you choose 2X NDS any torque transmitted to NDS will be shared with
the DS side spokes.
2x NDS is a small compromise in stiffness and load sharing due to the
spoke support angles, while assisting in the small amount of torque that
is handled on NDS. I would be comfortable building your wheels radial
front and 2X both sides rear.

--
daveornee

Old May 9th 08, 05:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On May 9, 3:32*pm, daveornee daveornee.395...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com wrote:
Wrote:

On May 9, 5:19*am, Ron Ruff wrote:
On May 8, 11:36*am, "

wrote:
[...]

There is some interesting stuff he

http://www.geocities.com/spokeanwheel/lacingsr.htm

My main concern is lateral stiffness in the front, and lateral
stiffnes and torque resistance in the rear. I don't want the brakes to
rub when I am out of the saddle, and I certainly don't want the
occasional "boing" feeling I get with the rear wheel on my lightweight
wheels when I stand in high torque conditions.

So radial in the front sounds like the way to go for stiffness. Heads
in. Pretty straight forward.

What do you guys think about the 2x NDS, 3x DS recommended in the link
above? And the reasoning?

Joseph
Old May 9th 08, 09:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/hikingbikinglacing.htm
Suggested lacing pattern to keep shoeslaces away from the chain.

Lacing [email protected] Techniques 19 November 25th 07 07:24 PM
lacing brooks B66? Bill Taylor Techniques 6 October 29th 07 04:26 AM
Lacing Help Needed!!! Jerrick Unicycling 36 November 27th 06 08:06 AM
PowerTap SL Lacing: 2X or 3X ? Daniel Norton Techniques 2 November 6th 06 01:53 PM
Rim lacing, 36 rim to 48 hub caw89 Unicycling 19 May 25th 05 03:49 PM