only a little dog

Old March 28th 09, 01:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

Default only a little dog

On Mar 27, 11:28*am, Dymphna
wrote:
Throwing things at dogs just makes them mean for the next person. It
also creates problems for the owners, because then every time person on
a bike rides by the dog goes nuts.

I have been charged by hungry pinches. I have had farm dogs at the door
of my car and safely opened it to get out without help, (the owner later
said I was the only one they had ever seen the dogs back down to). The
thing with dogs is you have to let them know who is the alpha. The only
dog I have ever been bitten by was a little dog that I was at fault for,
it was the dogs space I invaded after having been warned.

The tactic that works for me dog comes up on me. First, STOP and face
the dog in both cases, do not try to out run it. This puts you in
control. Look at the dog and command the dog from the bottom of your
guts with one word, "NO". And look them in the eyes when saying it.
Stand your ground! The dog will back down. If you try to get away it
becomes a game for the dog and you are the prey.

I agree with most of what you posted, but not the first paragraph.

When we rode in the rural south, nasty dogs were everywhere. If a
"good ol' boy" didn't have at least four under his front porch, he
wasn't keeping up with Lamar. Getting chased while bicycling was a
given.

I eventually trained those dogs to stay away from me and my family. I
usually did it by riding by repeatedly, hitting them with rocks. I
favored rocks over Halt because I could begin the lesson before they
were within Halt range.

So no, throwing things did not make them meaner. It scared them away
from me, my wife and my son.

- Frank Krygowski
Old March 28th 09, 02:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Mar 27, 11:33*am, AMuzi wrote:
Dymphna wrote:
I have been charged by hungry pinches.

Chalo wrote:
¿Pinches cabrones o pinches jotos?

robot translator is not really helpful for slang:
"Kitchen boys cabrones or jotos kitchen boys?"

See:

http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?f...ogId=472671229

or the source:

http://www.ocweekly.com/2009-02-19/c...ask-a-mexican/

Ben
Pinche pinschers! Never liked that breed.
Old March 28th 09, 02:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Nick L Plate

On 28 Mar, 01:45, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Mar 27, 11:28*am, Dymphna

[...]

Was a handlebar bag an essential then?
TJ
Old March 28th 09, 06:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

Chalo wrote:

¿Pinches cabrones o pinches jotos?

robot translator is not really helpful for slang:
"Kitchen boys cabrones or jotos kitchen boys?"

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/pinche
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/cabr%C3%B3n
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/joto

(The latter two because they are among the most common words following
"pinche".)

Chalo
Old March 28th 09, 12:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Per Frank Krygowski:
favored rocks over Halt because I could begin the lesson before they
were within Halt range.

So no, throwing things did not make them meaner. It scared them away
from me, my wife and my son.

When I'd go jogging in this one neighborhood after dinner, there
was a gang of domestic dogs whose owners presumably let them roam
at night.

They'd get off on harassing me as if I were prey and they were
the pack.

My solution was one of those very powerful slingshots and a
handful of 3/8" hex nuts. The nut would make a sort of moaning
sound as it flew through the air. Very impressive.

First night out with it was the last.

Pack approached me, I got off just one shot - at the apparent
leader. Didn't even hit the thing. Went under it's rib cage
and ricocheted off the pavement.

Whole pack just evaporated. Took all the fun out of it for them
was my guess.

Next night, I'm jogging along; the pack is maybe a half block
away; as soon as they see me, they're simply *gone*.

Never got close to them again.
--
PeteCresswell
Old March 28th 09, 03:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
--D-y

On Mar 26, 3:32*pm, wrote:

The deputy D.A. was also astonished that no one had told me any of
this and that the officer who signed the complaint had never even
spoken to any of the fishermen, since he was two miles away from where
the other cops were listening to fairy tales.

That's the legal system in action.

Carl, you poor knucklehead! (irony off)

Good work plus a little luck, you got that straightened out at least
for yourself.
Too bad about the lying fishermen, that crap is actionable. So it
went...

So no, I didn't call the cops and demand that something be done about
four-legged miscreants on the bike path.

I didn't say "demand something be done", but, dear Carl, please notice
another respondent talked about punching the "Free Bite" ticket, which
was my unstated intent, also. Get the owner's name, address, and
insurance company info, politely if possible and that process is
almost certainly covered by statute.

Dog bites like yours can be serious, "forever" problems-- lazy,
cowardly owners who don't take care of their dogs or shoulder proper
responsibility "notwithstanding" g.

I kick (sometimes hard as I can, which is pretty hard) dogs that
attack me (attack = "dog's mouth close enough to kick from bike seat
while riding in a straight line, having ordered 'no!!!', etc."), and
let the chips fall where they may! Which so far, has been an apology
from owners. But screw that, I haven't been bitten YET though many
have tried. Rocks, waved pumps work sometimes, water bottles work
sometimes, I would never use Halt because it isn't strong enough to
deter the really bad ones from what my post-people tell me-- one of
whom got chomped but good, incl. ****head owner confrontation and
lying to authorities by said ****head owner, and a permanently damaged
hand for which "the system" failed to compensate her.

All else failing, a good, hard, well-aimed kick to the underside of
the jaw shortcuts all that stuff. At least so far, for me!

It's Pavlovian, too, usually, although I do have one persistent doggie
on my resume who finally got close enough (he must have been
practicing his approach vector while I was away!) that instead of
kicking, I was obligated to punch with the hand I was trying to loosen
a tight toe strap with. IMS, he kept his distance after that. Got him
with a "karate punch" (flat hand, middle knuckle) right behind the
left fang. That one hurt. Him.

Nor do I call the cops about cars blowing through the stop sign at the
unmanned ticket hut at 40 mph in a 20 mph zone.

After all, the cars blowing through the stop sign are often driven by
highway patrolmen, sheriff's deputies, park rangers, and city
policemen. They like to use the road below the dam because it's quiet
and scenic and much nicer than the highway--and they don't have to pay
the $50 annual park fee to use it to get to their homes in Pueblo
West.

You're so good at manipulating the system, Carl, that I'm sure you
could bust their I mean cause them to change their ways without
getting and more requests to appear in person "downtown". WTH g. --
D-y
Old March 28th 09, 03:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Mar 27, 10:56*pm, Nick L Plate wrote:
On 28 Mar, 01:45, Frank Krygowski wrote:

I eventually trained those dogs to stay away from me and my family. *I
usually did it by riding by repeatedly, hitting them with rocks. *I
favored rocks over Halt because I could begin the lesson before they
were within Halt range.

So no, throwing things did not make them meaner. *It scared them away
from me, my wife and my son.

Was a handlebar bag an essential then?

That's where I carried the rocks.

The Georgia reason for super-light bikes is so you can carry more
rocks.

- Frank Krygowski
Old March 28th 09, 03:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Chalo wrote:
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/pinche
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/cabr%C3%B3n
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/joto
(The latter two because they are among the most common words following
"pinche".)

Thank you.
I had the general drift from bike shop espanol; 'pinche
frenos', 'pinche catena', 'pinche camera' etc.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old March 28th 09, 05:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
--D-y

On Mar 28, 10:42*am, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Mar 27, 10:56*pm, Nick L Plate wrote:

On 28 Mar, 01:45, Frank Krygowski wrote:

I eventually trained those dogs to stay away from me and my family. *I
usually did it by riding by repeatedly, hitting them with rocks. *I
favored rocks over Halt because I could begin the lesson before they
were within Halt range.

So no, throwing things did not make them meaner. *It scared them away
from me, my wife and my son.

Was a handlebar bag an essential then?

That's where I carried the rocks.

The Georgia reason for super-light bikes is so you can carry more
rocks.

And you don't get bit in the butt while gathering... Excellent!
Although I did have a standoff with a chopper (Austin hillbilly,
"chopping Cedar trees" to get a place to put the house trailer) woman
IRT "Drop the rocks!" v. "Call off your dog and I'll drop the rocks!".
Result-- a draw. Dog stayed in "yard", rocks dropped for the nonce.

Frank, I always tried my best to hit the dog unless the owner was
watching, when I'd use the "Discourage" target setting.

That's where a water bottle, except for the mean ones, works maybe the
best-- no harsh chemicals, no damage to dog, no real grounds (although
that is moot, sometimes) for complaint IRT dog owners. Dogs, even
water dogs, generally really really do not like being sprayed in the
face, and frankly, it's entertaining to send out a nicely aimed arc of
water that the dog can see he is going to run right into, and so be
the instrument of getting that face-full. "You did it to yourself,
doggie!" and yeah, they do understand. Very effective in Dog Training,
IME.

Those chaser dogs, with the unfortunate growth "everywhere" around
Austin and increased traffic resulting, are tending to become fenced
or run over. We've lost some bucolic wonderment, but gained dog-free
roads, sometimes wider with shoulders. Harder to find a private place
to whizz, but a good tradeoff IMHO. --D-y
Old March 28th 09, 06:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sat, 28 Mar 2009 08:34:36 -0700 (PDT), --D-y
wrote:

[snip]

I didn't say "demand something be done", but, dear Carl, please notice
another respondent talked about punching the "Free Bite" ticket, which
was my unstated intent, also. Get the owner's name, address, and
insurance company info, politely if possible and that process is
almost certainly covered by statute.

[snip]

Dear D,

Of course! Why didn't I think of that?

Any moron riding on the wrong side of the bike path with a dog on a
leash longer than the path is wide who lets his dog bite oncoming
traffic would be glad to show me some identification and tell me where
he lives!

And he'd certainly have insurance!

If only I'd thought to ask him to wait while I summoned the police!

Actually, he rode off the other way without volunteering his name,
address, insurance information, or anything else.

The local newspaper routinely reports how so-and-so gave false
information to the cops, never mind private individuals.

And driving cars without insurance is commonplace--good luck with a
minor dog bite.

Sometimes I wonder what planet you guys live on.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel