Bicycle Shoes

Old March 29th 09, 12:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bill

Default Bicycle Shoes

Need help! I am still trying to find a good pair of shoes. I have
definitely eliminated Specialized. Stay away from those shoes.

Does anyone know of a road shoe with a low cut in the rear that does
not have a big achilles tendon protector?

I have trouble with the heel pulling up. The protector actually does
a double whammy. I think that it hits the tendon. This means the
shoes are actually doing two things to contribute to injury.

I have actually moved my seat down and back a tad(1/8"). I think that
I was somewhat aggressive for my situation. I am still having
problems. The cold weather has seemed to intensify the problem.

thanks
bill
Old March 29th 09, 12:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Mar 28, 7:15*pm, Bill wrote:
Need help! * I am still trying to find a good pair of shoes. *I have
definitely eliminated Specialized. *Stay away from those shoes.

Does anyone know of a road shoe with a low cut in the rear that does
not have a big achilles tendon protector?

I have trouble with the heel pulling up. *The protector actually does
a double whammy. *I think that it hits the tendon. This means the
shoes are actually doing two things to contribute to injury.

I have actually moved my seat down and back a tad(1/8"). *I think that
I was somewhat aggressive for my situation. *I am still having
problems. *The cold weather has seemed to intensify the problem.

thanks
bill

Foot wear is a very personal thing.
You ARE wearing socks, aren't you? Many triathlon participants tend
to leave them off in order to speed transitions. I think that
exacerbates the issue.
I find Sidi road shoes quite comfortable but they are quite stiff in
the heel.
You could look at mountain bike shoes. I think some models have
flexible sidewalls that may reduce friction.
Also, could your shoes be too large?
Old March 29th 09, 03:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On Mar 28, 5:15 pm, Bill wrote:
Need help! I am still trying to find a good pair of shoes.

snip

I am still having
problems. The cold weather has seemed to intensify the problem.

http://www.lakecycling.com/mxz302-p-111.html

(I don't have these, but I sure wish I did.)
Old March 29th 09, 07:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Hank Wirtz

On Mar 28, 7:09*pm, Dan O wrote:
On Mar 28, 5:15 pm, Bill wrote:

Need help! * I am still trying to find a good pair of shoes.

snip

I am still having
problems. *The cold weather has seemed to intensify the problem.

http://www.lakecycling.com/mxz302-p-111.html

(I don't have these, but I sure wish I did.)

I've got a set of the previous version, the MXZ301. Nice shoes, but
less practical than I expected for commuting, because they're great in
the morning, but way too hot on the way home.
Old March 29th 09, 08:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

In article
,
Bill wrote:

Need help! I am still trying to find a good pair of shoes. I have
definitely eliminated Specialized. Stay away from those shoes.

Does anyone know of a road shoe with a low cut in the rear that does
not have a big achilles tendon protector?

The high back of the shoe is to prevent your foot from pulling out (not
that most people pull back and up hard enough to actually do this).

Shoes are just too specific to the individual. I'd recommend taking a
week off the bike and spending the time looking at shoe options in bike
shops. It might be enough just to go with a 1/2 size larger shoe.

I have trouble with the heel pulling up. The protector actually does
a double whammy. I think that it hits the tendon. This means the
shoes are actually doing two things to contribute to injury.

If you actually have Achilles tendinitis, you will need to rest it to
let it heal (no pun intended). Sorry about that news, but continuing to
ride is going to worsen the problem with the potential for major
problems down the road (e.g., ruptured tendon). You don't want to go
there. Consult a sports doctor.

http://mayoclinic.com/health/achille...initis/DS00737

I developed this in 2003 on a 600K brevet which made the last 30 miles
very miserable. In my case, it was enough that my sock had a bit of
material folded down against the tendon- a few thousand repetitions and
voila. It was a long time before riding was comfortable again. Moving
my cleats forward reduced the tension on the tendon and lowering the
saddle compensated for the different cleat placement.

I have actually moved my seat down and back a tad(1/8"). I think
that I was somewhat aggressive for my situation. I am still having
problems. The cold weather has seemed to intensify the problem.

Cold makes tendons stiff. Keep your legs covered and warm (don't wear
knickers, wear tights; and do wear good socks that come up high over the
ankle). Lowering your saddle may actually worsen it if it results in
you pushing your heel down farther (dorsiflexion) and making the ankle
bend more acute. You should also move the cleats forward on your shoes
by the same amount to reduce ankle flex, otherwise you may just make
matters worse.

Rest, daily icing, NSAIDs, and consider taping your ankle. A sports doc
can show you how. Pedal lower gears during the recovery phase. Also
check for what caused this: too many miles too early, pronation (you
might benefit from orthotics), tight Achilles, shoes too small (many
people's feel swell when riding and they should accommodate with with
their shoe sizing- or so I am told, I've never had it happen), etc.

With rest/ice/NSAIDs/etc. at the time, and with moving the cleats
forward and my saddle slightly lower, I have had no recurrence of my
tendinitis in six years. But I always double check my socks to make
sure they aren't folded over against my Achilles (and very often they
are).
Old March 29th 09, 08:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

Bill wrote:

Need help! * I am still trying to find a good pair of shoes. *I have
definitely eliminated Specialized. *Stay away from those shoes.

Does anyone know of a road shoe with a low cut in the rear that does
not have a big achilles tendon protector?

http://www.amazon.com/Cable-Bacco-Bu.../dp/B0015U084W

Use with real pedals and resemble a real man.

Chalo
Old March 29th 09, 01:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bill

On Mar 29, 2:04*am, Tim McNamara wrote:
In article
,

*Bill wrote:
[...]

I am wearing long wool socks. I have been riding for years in the
winter. I actually did not note ride an excessive amount of miles. I
am only around 500 miles for the year so far. This is where I usually
have been.

I have been trying out stuff in the driveway. I have not ridden at
all for the last week. I don't think that I shall ride at all for the
next week.

Both feet are big overpronaters. I also have the right foot on a toe
in orientation.

I'm using LOOK keo pedals.

Bill
Old March 29th 09, 01:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bill

On Mar 28, 8:31*pm, wrote:
On Mar 28, 7:15*pm, Bill wrote:

[...]

I am riding with socks!

Doesn't make much of an impact.

The rear of the heel is getting red all of the time.
Old March 29th 09, 04:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

In article
,
Bill wrote:

On Mar 29, 2:04*am, Tim McNamara wrote:

snip

I am wearing long wool socks. I have been riding for years in the
winter. I actually did not note ride an excessive amount of miles. I
am only around 500 miles for the year so far. This is where I usually
have been.

So nothing new there, it sounds like. I was going to mention wool
socks, since these have worked very well for me (I wear Smartwool socks
for cycling and dress as well), but you're already on top of that.

I have been trying out stuff in the driveway. I have not ridden at
all for the last week. I don't think that I shall ride at all for the
next week.

Both feet are big overpronaters. I also have the right foot on a toe
in orientation.

Is it just one Achilles being affected or both?

I'm using LOOK keo pedals.

Has anything changed in your bike setup or other equipment (new saddle,
took the bike apart for an overhaul and maybe didn't get the saddle back
to the same position, change in cranks with a different Q factor, etc)?

You mentioned Specialized shoes. Are these new and associated with the
problem (or old and broken down)?

With the pronation, orthotics might be helpful. If your foot is moving
inside the shoe as you pedal, that might cause irritation (since modern
shoes are very stiff and very rigidly attached to the pedals, they don't
accommodate foot motion very well and the foot moves inside the shoe
instead of the shoe flexing).

I have gone to not using road shoes at all any more, wearing Lake MX101
shoes now for 7 years and using Speedplay Frogs (and one bike with old
Campy pedals and PowerGrips for commuting). I like to be able to walk
without imitating waterfowl. There's a bit of flex in the sole, not
enough to cause hot spots nor to feel inefficient; I think this is
actually helpful in terms of comfort. My winter shoes are Lake MXZ300
from a few years back. Very comfortable- Lake's lasts seem to fit my
feet well.
Old March 29th 09, 05:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On Mar 28, 11:21 pm, Hank Wirtz wrote:
On Mar 28, 7:09 pm, Dan O wrote:

On Mar 28, 5:15 pm, Bill wrote:

Need help! I am still trying to find a good pair of shoes.

snip

I am still having
problems. The cold weather has seemed to intensify the problem.

http://www.lakecycling.com/mxz302-p-111.html

(I don't have these, but I sure wish I did.)

I've got a set of the previous version, the MXZ301. Nice shoes, but
less practical than I expected for commuting, because they're great in
the morning, but way too hot on the way home.

Hmm... yeah - neoprene booties work pretty good in the morning, then
fold up and stash away easily for the afternoon trip. They're flimsy
and get torn up, but you can buy a lot of booties for three-hundred
bucks.

bicycle shoes, again Bill Techniques 0 March 16th 09 11:28 PM
Two men, shoes and a bicycle race Michael J Rodney Sr. General 0 April 23rd 05 04:04 PM
Bicycle shoes pjclarkesq Recumbent Biking 4 September 6th 03 10:53 PM