Quality Control: Not impressed with "Brooks of England"

Old April 2nd 09, 09:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
N8N

Default Quality Control: Not impressed with "Brooks of England"

On Apr 2, 1:50*pm, Andre Jute wrote:
On Apr 1, 8:57*pm, N8N wrote:

I still wouldn't kick a 60's era Ferrari out of my driveway for
leaking oil. *(and it probably would, at that, but as a proud
Studebaker owner, I'm used to it.) *There's just something about the
styling, and popping the hood and seeing that long line of velocity
stacks that warms the little cockles of the heart.

You're mad.

Of course.

Tuning six Webers is a week's work for a skilled mechanic,
and then you drive around the block and they go out of tune, and the
engine doesn't run under 3000 revs. Best thing that ever happened to
Ferrari was fuel injection.

You realize that that was purely an emotional reaction, yes? And if I
*had,* say, a 250 California Spyder or similar, why the heck would I
drive it *under* 3000 RPM?

If I wanted a fast-ish car to drive every day, I wouldn't be looking
at a Ferrari, I'd buy a Porsche instead (oh, wait, I did. even if
it's not a "real" Porsche)

Don't worry though, it appears that the odds of me becoming "nouveau
riche" any time soon are not good. *Magic 8-ball agrees.

I wish you luck, Nate. But most people who drive expensive cars are
far too smart to buy or own them. Most of those cars I had at one time
or another were company cars. When I'm spending my own money I buy
Volvo estate cars just like everyone else with his mind in gear and
the safety of his child to the forefront.

Meh, these days I'm just happy to have a job, a little savings, and a
house of my own. It's getting rough out there. I'm really glad I
don't work in the automotive industry anymore!

nate
Old April 2nd 09, 09:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
N8N

On Apr 2, 1:58*pm, Andre Jute wrote:
On Apr 1, 8:46*pm, N8N wrote:

On Apr 1, 11:08*am, Andre Jute wrote:
I've always thought of Mazda's RX7 as the Japanese Porsche. I have
very little experience of the RX7 but for a couple of months in
Australia I drove a bigger rotary Mazda, the RX4 coupe, a big four-
seat cruiser, and it was a super-refined car.

Also sadly discontinued. *To my eye, its "replacement," the RX-8,
looks like a dog vomited on the blueprints. *And it's a four door?

One and a half doors to a side, the rear ones suicide-hinged. It
certainly isn't as a lithe as the first RX7s of fond memory, but to me
it looks all right on the outside, though more like a GT than a sports
car. It is the red and black seat trim of the more expensive model
that is tasteless. -- AJ

I thought the *last* RX-7 was drop dead gorgeous, and that is a big
part of the reason I'm so disappointed in the RX-8.

But maybe I can pick up a used one in good shape... (along with the 10
other cars on my "short list")

nate
Old April 2nd 09, 09:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Nate:
I still wouldn't kick a 60's era Ferrari out of my driveway

And
You're mad.

Nate:
Of course.

And
Tuning six Webers is a week's work for a skilled mechanic,

Nate:
You realize that that was purely an emotional reaction, yes? *

And
Leaving denial behind is already a big step. Lie back on the nice
couch and tell me all about it.

Nate:
But maybe I can pick up a used one in good shape... (along with the 10
other cars on my "short list")

And
I trust your family knows this will a very long treatment and that the
outcome is not guaranteed to cure you of lustful automotive thoughts.

Andre Jute
Reformed petrol head
No car since 1992
Greener than thou!