sun cr18 26" rim- tire friendly?

Old July 19th 11, 02:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
patrick

Default sun cr18 26" rim- tire friendly?

I have a sun chinook rim used on a older (late 80's bike- suntour 7
speed equipped) that's going to need replacement . Despite the
sometimes wee bit difficult install of some tires (tioga citislicker,
performance forte metro k) , the wheel has stayed round and true all
this time with minor tweaking. I'm assuming that the cr18 is the
successor to the chinook- they seem to have the same build description
and erto. However I read on the bike forums that often, the cr18, can
be a very unfriendly rim with some tires . If that's the case, might
there be a rim (under $70 US) on the market that will allow the easier
fit of the various city tires (26x1.25)? Thanks Pat
Old July 19th 11, 05:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Randy Spekulm

On Mon, 18 Jul 2011 18:12:40 -0700 (PDT), patrick wrote:

I have a sun chinook rim used on a older (late 80's bike- suntour 7
speed equipped) that's going to need replacement . Despite the
sometimes wee bit difficult install of some tires (tioga citislicker,
performance forte metro k) , the wheel has stayed round and true all
this time with minor tweaking. I'm assuming that the cr18 is the
successor to the chinook- they seem to have the same build description
and erto. However I read on the bike forums that often, the cr18, can
be a very unfriendly rim with some tires . If that's the case, might
there be a rim (under $70 US) on the market that will allow the easier
fit of the various city tires (26x1.25)? Thanks Pat

I understand your current rim is difficult to install tires on, but why are
you thinking of getting a diffrent rim from the same manufacturer, one that
you know also has a reputation of being difficult to mount tires on?

Stop the insanity!

I suggest your problem is not with the rim, but with the tires. Check out
http://www.airfreetires.com/shopping...treet-559.aspx -- a
very nice tire for your use, AND it comes with an installation paddle.

Old July 19th 11, 05:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

Randy Spekulm wrote:

Stop the insanity!

I suggest your problem is not with the rim, but with the tires. *Check out
http://www.airfreetires.com/shopping...treet-559.aspx
--a very nice tire for your use, AND it comes with an installation paddle..

You say "stop the insanity" with one breath and "get a solid foam
tire" with the next? Talk about discrediting yourself.

Foam tires are slow, they ride like crap, they punish the bejeebers
out of rims, and they have a substantially increased risk of roll-
off. Oh, and most of them are way heavier than air-filled tires,
too. What's not to like?

Foam tires are a grim but respectable last-ditch effort for those who
would ride a bike in the world's most adverse environments for
pneumatic tires. For the rest of us, they are the inflatable sex doll
of tires-- in the attempt to give up all the inconvenience of the real
thing, you also give up all the benefits of the real thing. In most
places, using a foam tire only amounts to moral cowardice.

Chalo
Old July 19th 11, 06:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
T°m Sherm@n

On 7/18/2011 11:28 PM, Randy Spekulm wrote:
[...]

I was able to easily mount and dismount tires without tools from a Sun
CR-18 rim the last time I tried.

I suggest your problem is not with the rim, but with the tires. Check out
http://www.airfreetires.com/shopping...treet-559.aspx -- a
very nice tire for your use, AND it comes with an installation paddle.

FWIW:
http://www.bbb.org/central-florida/business-reviews/tire-dealers/air-free-tires-in-new-smyrna-beach-fl-24000243,
http://gregg.berkholtz.net/blog/archives/51-Experiences-with-Airless-Bike-Tires-www.airfreetires.com-is-just-a-scam-site-now.html,
http://www.ripoffreport.com/directory/Air-Free-Tires.aspx,
http://felixwong.com/2006/12/air-free-tires/.

Furthermore, at least in the past, Mr. Hugh Waters mistakenly thought
watts were a unit of energy instead of power:
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent/msg/f530f9742cf367d5?hl=en&dmode=source.

--
Tºm Shermªn - 42.435731°N, 83.985007°W
I am a vehicular cyclist.
Old July 19th 11, 06:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
T°m Sherm@n

On 7/18/2011 11:36 PM, Çhâlõ Çólîñã wrote:
Randy Spekulm wrote:

[...]

I find non-pneumatic foam tires to be fine for use on wheelbarrows.

Old July 19th 11, 07:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On Jul 19, 6:53*am, "T°m Sherm@n" ""twshermanREMOVE\"@THI
$southslope.net" wrote:

I find non-pneumatic foam tires to be fine for use on wheelbarrows.

How well do THEY ride. g
Old July 19th 11, 04:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

Randy Spekulm wrote:

[...]

My city's bus racks don't fit wheelbarrows.
Old July 19th 11, 04:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Jul 18, 8:12*pm, patrick wrote:
I have a sun chinook rim used on a older (late 80's bike- suntour 7
speed equipped) that's going to need replacement . Despite the
sometimes wee bit difficult install of some tires (tioga citislicker,
performance forte metro k) , the wheel has stayed round and true all
this time with minor tweaking. I'm assuming that the cr18 is the
successor to the chinook- they seem to have the same build description
and erto. However I read on the bike forums that often, the cr18, can
be a very unfriendly rim with some tires . If that's the case, might
there be a rim (under $70 US) on the market that will allow the easier
fit *of the various city tires (26x1.25)? * Thanks Pat

At the back of any bike shop, there's gonna be a stack of used tires.
Fool around and see if there's a brand that's easy to mount. Mind,
used tires will be easier to mount than new, and that traditionally,
Continental tires hate Sun rims.
Old July 19th 11, 06:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
patrick

At the back of any bike shop, there's gonna be a stack of used tires.
Fool around and see if there's a brand that's easy to mount. Mind,
used tires will be easier to mount than new, and that traditionally,
Continental tires hate Sun rims.

Yeah, the citislicker hasn't gotten any better with the use. It has
started getting flats-a bit long in the tooth-so I may have to go to
the kevlar belted performance backup- which is a bunch less
hospitable to getting off/on in the event of a road puncture . On
the other bike I have a mavic t217 (700c) which is very happy with a
little hand force to get the rubber on. I wish the chinook was that
easy.. Though I might try a pasela on the 26 to see if that would
solve some of the angst. Pat

Old July 19th 11, 06:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Peter Cole[_2_]

On 7/19/2011 1:00 PM, patrick wrote:
At the back of any bike shop, there's gonna be a stack of used tires.
Fool around and see if there's a brand that's easy to mount. Mind,
used tires will be easier to mount than new, and that traditionally,
Continental tires hate Sun rims.

Yeah, the citislicker hasn't gotten any better with the use. It has
started getting flats-a bit long in the tooth-so I may have to go to
the kevlar belted performance backup- which is a bunch less
hospitable to getting off/on in the event of a road puncture . On
the other bike I have a mavic t217 (700c) which is very happy with a
little hand force to get the rubber on. I wish the chinook was that
easy.. Though I might try a pasela on the 26 to see if that would
solve some of the angst. Pat

I've got CR-18's on one MTB (26") and my fixer (700c), haven't had any
real problems I can recall. My Nokian studs are a bit tight, but then
They have really thick, stiff sidewalls, and I'm mounting them (35mm) on
narrow rims. The 38mm Paselas I ride in the summer go on easy.