Metal Deck Bridges and Cycling

Old March 31st 09, 11:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman[_3_]

Default Metal Deck Bridges and Cycling

Rick Paulos wrote:
Does TOMRV go over that bridge?

Yes, don't forget it's about 100 feet above the river too.

The reference I posted above says 65 feet, but it feels like more.

High
enough for the river boats to pass under. I always ride slow, right
in the middle of that bridge. If you fall down, you won't side
despite the slick metal. Something will grab in the grates and stop
you. Let the cars follow. They can't go fast anyhow because the
bridge ends at a busy highway on the Illinois side at a T
intersection. And on the Iowa side, there is a toll booth cars have
to stop for.

The toll booth has been gone for at least 5 years.

The guard rails are about knee high and would not keep a cyclists from
tumbling overrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Indeed. Even a cyclist on an average seat height recumbent.

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
LOCAL CACTUS EATS CYCLIST - datakoll