Hozan spoke threader -- too much play?

Old March 31st 09, 03:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Gary Young

Default Hozan spoke threader -- too much play?

I recently bought a used Hozan spoke threader:

http://www.hozan.co.jp/cycle_e/catalog/wheel/C-700.htm

The shaft that holds the dies at one end and the crank at the other
doesn't fit snugly in the bore of the main body of the tool (I'd say
there's at least 5 degrees of play). Is that normal? I'm worried that
some kind of bushing is missing.
Old March 31st 09, 06:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Gary Young wrote:
I recently bought a used Hozan spoke threader:

http://www.hozan.co.jp/cycle_e/catalog/wheel/C-700.htm

The shaft that holds the dies at one end and the crank at the other
doesn't fit snugly in the bore of the main body of the tool (I'd say
there's at least 5 degrees of play). Is that normal? I'm worried that
some kind of bushing is missing.

It's a rolling head and self-centers so that shouldn't matter.
Test roll a spoke then check with a nipple. If you have a
few new spokes handy the class of thread fit will be easily
gauged in your fingers.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old March 31st 09, 08:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_2_]

Gary Young wrote:
I recently bought a used Hozan spoke threader:

http://www.hozan.co.jp/cycle_e/catalog/wheel/C-700.htm

The shaft that holds the dies at one end and the crank at the other
doesn't fit snugly in the bore of the main body of the tool (I'd say
there's at least 5 degrees of play). Is that normal? I'm worried that
some kind of bushing is missing.

Ooooh, why don't I have one of those?

Not sure what I'd do with it mind you, but I *bet* I could find a use
Old March 31st 09, 02:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Mar 31, 12:24*am, AMuzi wrote:
Gary Young wrote:
I recently bought a used Hozan spoke threader:

http://www.hozan.co.jp/cycle_e/catalog/wheel/C-700.htm

The shaft that holds the dies at one end and the crank at the other
doesn't fit snugly in the bore of the main body of the tool (I'd say
there's at least 5 degrees of play). Is that normal? I'm worried that
some kind of bushing is missing.

It's a rolling head and self-centers so that shouldn't matter.
Test roll a spoke then check with a nipple. If you have a
few new spokes handy the class of thread fit will be easily
gauged in your fingers.

--
Andrew Muzi
* www.yellowjersey.org/
* Open every day since 1 April, 1971

How fast can you thread a spoke with that Hozan manual machine? I
always envisioned bike shops that actually thread spokes, instead of
having boxes of DT spokes in all lengths, having an automatic thread
cutter, not a hand crank machine.
Old March 31st 09, 03:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Marcus Coles

wrote:
On Mar 31, 12:24 am, AMuzi wrote:
Gary Young wrote:
[...]

The Phil Wood Spoke Machine by many considered the best is still hand
cranked.
http://www.philwood.com/Spoke%20Machine.htm

While owning one would be cool it would be hard to justify the price for
cranking out the occasional spoke. The Hozan tool is meant to fill
that need.

Marcus
Old March 31st 09, 09:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:
How fast can you thread a spoke with that Hozan manual machine? I
always envisioned bike shops that actually thread spokes, instead of
having boxes of DT spokes in all lengths, having an automatic thread
cutter, not a hand crank machine.

Among the most tedious wastes of time I can quickly imagine.

I used our Cyclo exactly once (Hozan is the same design).
Our Phil Wood machine is about as good as it gets but still
the time to cut a set is worth as much as the spokes.
Fortunately it's a rare event.

If one requires odd lengths (children's bikes etc) one or
two at a time and rarely and where there's no reasonable
source for them, the small rolling tools may have some
purpose. In a civilized country where spokes are readily
delivered, I can't see it. YMMV

Old April 2nd 09, 01:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
rruff

On Mar 31, 2:42*pm, AMuzi wrote:
I used our Cyclo exactly once (Hozan is the same design).
Our Phil Wood machine is about as good as it gets but still
the time to cut a set is worth as much as the spokes.
Fortunately it's a rare event.

I build wheels for a living (such as it is) and I'm still debating
whether it makes sense to put $2500- $3500 into a real spoke cutter/
threader...
Old April 2nd 09, 05:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Press

In article
,
rruff wrote:

On Mar 31, 2:42*pm, AMuzi wrote:
I used our Cyclo exactly once (Hozan is the same design).
Our Phil Wood machine is about as good as it gets but still
the time to cut a set is worth as much as the spokes.
Fortunately it's a rare event.

I build wheels for a living (such as it is) and I'm still debating
whether it makes sense to put $2500- $3500 into a real spoke cutter/
threader...

Where will you use it? How available are spokes cut
and threaded to you? What is your time worth standing
at the spoke-cutter/threader?

--
Michael Press