effect of tire width on rolling resistance

Old April 1st 09, 12:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default effect of tire width on rolling resistance

On Mar 30, 12:37*pm, Tom Reingold wrote:
I remember Jobst saying that rolling resistance decreases with tire
width UNTIL you reach 28mm, and thereafter, rolling resistance goes
up. I'm not sure if I remember this right. In any case, if it is true
that below a certain width, rolling resistance goes up, why is this?

Tom Reingold
Maplewood, NJ

Another version is, for tires identical in every respect except width,
the deflection at the contact patch requires more energy as the
flattened chord is longer for a narrower tire (simple geometry). IOW,
the resisting torque required to flatten a longer contact patch is
higher. Restitution is normally stated as a % so the net % loss is a
bigger number for a smaller tire.

Above 28 mm, other factors overshadow this phenomenon.

Phil H

Old April 1st 09, 01:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

the dragon breathes east
Old April 1st 09, 02:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

and phytoplankton....

3-4 years ago discussion wudda centered around mitty street racing
tires...
today with abroadening market approach we read endlessly abt
Panaracers ebullient ride quality.
3-4 years ago mention of Pasela's ERQ wudda covered the poster with
saliva.
Old April 2nd 09, 01:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

to be clear, we're not casting dispersons toward landotter.
I was the or one of, touring virus carrier into the 20-28c tire bs
and dully ignored.