Stress Analysis in the Design of Bicycle Infrastructure

Old August 11th 17, 11:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Default Stress Analysis in the Design of Bicycle Infrastructure

https://bikesiliconvalley.org/wp-content/uploads/170808-5B-Alta-Level-of-Traffic-Stress-Knowles.pdf

This was one of the presentations at the Silicon Valley Bicycle
Coalition Bike Summit.

Slide 6 is especially telling. No surprise that the U.S. has the lowest
number of bicycle travel in terms of distance, and the highest death rate.
Old August 11th 17, 11:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2017-08-11 15:05, sms wrote:
https://bikesiliconvalley.org/wp-content/uploads/170808-5B-Alta-Level-of-Traffic-Stress-Knowles.pdf

This was one of the presentations at the Silicon Valley Bicycle
Coalition Bike Summit.

Slide 6 is especially telling. No surprise that the U.S. has the lowest
number of bicycle travel in terms of distance, and the highest death rate.

No surprise to me whatsoever. I lived in three of those countries,
Germany, Netherlands and US and can see why the numbers on slide 6 are
what they are.

When I had to ride from where I lived in the Netherlands (Vaals) to
Maastricht I could pretty much set my 12-speed bike on the bike path,
put it in 12th gear and hammer those 20 miles. I did the same distance
here (Cameron Park to Folsom) yesterday for an errand. Aside from mixing
in with fast traffic at times which some potentially interested cyclists
don't like I also had to hack it across a dirt field for half a mile,
including crossing a muddy creek and lifting the bike over some low
fences. Hardly anyone would be willing to do the latter. On the way back
it was mostly along a county road with 55mph traffic, ok but not exactly
fun.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old August 12th 17, 12:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Friday, August 11, 2017 at 6:54:57 PM UTC-4, Joerg wrote:
Snipped

When I had to ride from where I lived in the Netherlands (Vaals) to
Maastricht I could pretty much set my 12-speed bike on the bike path,
put it in 12th gear and hammer those 20 miles. I did the same distance
here (Cameron Park to Folsom) yesterday for an errand. Aside from mixing
in with fast traffic at times which some potentially interested cyclists
don't like I also had to hack it across a dirt field for half a mile,
including crossing a muddy creek and lifting the bike over some low
fences. Hardly anyone would be willing to do the latter. On the way back
it was mostly along a county road with 55mph traffic, ok but not exactly
fun.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Lifting a bike over low fences? Sounds a lot like trespassing onto private land.

What is it with you that you have such difficulty riding where so mqany others ride without fear? Oh I know, a fw others share your fears and thus bicycvling is extremely dangerous.

But then again, thousands of others across the U.S.A. and Canada ride on rodes with 55 mph sopeed limits and they do it without fear or problems.

Cheers

Cheers
Old August 12th 17, 12:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 8/11/2017 4:37 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

In the area Joerg is referring to, the issue is that not many others
ride, because of fear of riding on US50, a legitimate fear.
.

I would never move to a place like that if I was interested in
transportational cycling.

Old August 12th 17, 03:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2017-08-11 16:52, sms wrote:
[...]

Bicycles are not allowed on Hwy 50, that's the key problem. If you want
to go to Intel, Kaiser, Costco, Home Depot et cetera the only way is to
hack it across a field, he

https://goo.gl/maps/RZyYFr7MCTT2

There is now a gate and various habitat fences. I guess they are fixing
to put in developments and a road. Meaning the ride will be over soon.
The only alternative is White Rock Road which is close to suicidal for a
cyclist. Well, then I'll use the car until they are done, after which
hopefully that new road with have a bike lane because it's going to be a
race track.

I would never move to a place like that if I was interested in
transportational cycling.

Sometimes it's good to move somewhere and then help estabishing a
cycling culture, also pushing for an infrastructure. Else it'll never
get expanded.

For cyclists we already have much better options than we did 5-10 years
ago. However, one must be able to handle a mountain bike.

http://analogconsultants.com/ng/bike/CoachLane1.JPG

We can now ride all the way to Walmart, brewpubs and other places in
Placerville on mostly dirt roads and singletrack though some of it isn't
for the faint of heart. Works for me. I simply adjusted my spending of
money to businesses that can be reached that way. Heck, even one of my
clients and a software engineer I network with are located directly on
that trail.

The downside is that I am going through a lot of rear tires. Oh well.

Old August 12th 17, 04:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Saturday, August 12, 2017 at 10:45:41 AM UTC-4, Joerg wrote:
Snipped
We can now ride all the way to Walmart, brewpubs and other places in
Placerville on mostly dirt roads and singletrack though some of it isn't
for the faint of heart. Works for me. I simply adjusted my spending of
money to businesses that can be reached that way. Heck, even one of my
clients and a software engineer I network with are located directly on
that trail.

The downside is that I am going through a lot of rear tires. Oh well.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

I can ride all the way from London Ontario Canada to Ottawa Ontario Canada and i can do it without going onto dirt roads or bicycle paths/trails if I want to. There are many, many places in Ontario Canada where i can ride a bicycle too without having to use bicycle paths or trails.

I find many bicycle lanes, paths and trails to be very hazardous to use due to their extremely poor design (poor sight lines for example; being in the door zone, or being on the right side of a right turning motor vehicle lane) or because they are MUP/MUT.

If I were to ride only in designated bicycle lanes or one segregated bicycle paths then I'd be doing very little bicycling because we don not have segregated bicycle paths here and for that I'm very thankful. I can hop on my bicycle and go to where I want to be (even if it''s a hundred plus miles away) by using, GASP!, paved roads shared with motor vehicles.

Maybe YOU need segregated bicycling facilities in order to ride your bicycle but thousands of us do not nor do we constantly push for such segregated facilities.

Cheers
Old August 12th 17, 08:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On 2017-08-11 16:52, sms wrote:

I would never move to a place like that if I was interested in
transportational cycling.

Indeed. I chose my residence carefully, so transporational cycling was possible.
Joerg should have done the same.

Sometimes it's good to move somewhere and then help estabishing a
cycling culture, also pushing for an infrastructure. Else it'll never
get expanded.

So what have you done to establish a cycling culture there? All we've heard
about is whining that riding there is dangerous.

- Frank Krygowski
Old August 12th 17, 08:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Saturday, August 12, 2017 at 7:45:41 AM UTC-7, Joerg wrote:
On 2017-08-11 16:52, sms wrote:
[...]

Another problem is that when they finish you have to know how to find your way through residential areas to find the bike paths. The north side of Mt. Diablo is that way. Also I went with a group up Twin Peaks in San Francisco and damn if I can find the way again since those are service roads and not public.
Old August 12th 17, 01:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 8/11/2017 5:55 PM, Joerg wrote:
On 2017-08-11 15:05, sms wrote:
[...]

But there's no end to that argument.

People who live at a bus stop and work at another think
buses are wonderful. But resources are finite and so for
some people they are merely inconvenient but for most people
buses are not useful in any way.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old August 12th 17, 01:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 2017-08-11 15:05, sms wrote:
[...]

I have a couple friends who do like buses. I rode yesterday with a guy
who likes to use the bus to get out toward a distant bike trail. But
when we first moved to town and had just one car, I looked into riding a
bus the seven or so miles to work. It would have taken far longer than
just biking the whole way.

But for most people, I think this Onion article is accurate:
http://www.theonion.com/article/repo...ublic-tra-1434

"Take the bus. I'll be glad you did." ;-)

--
- Frank Krygowski