Continental Ultra Sport tires

Old September 21st 18, 05:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Continental Ultra Sport tires

On Thursday, September 20, 2018 at 5:25:55 AM UTC-7, Theodore Heise wrote:

Is it possible for the bead to not be fully seated without showing
as a difference in the tire seam/markings' distance from the rim?

--
Ted Heise West Lafayette, IN, USA

Probably not. I can see no way that this marking could be showing correctly and the tire so far out of round except for the wheel being so.

Old September 21st 18, 07:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

Theodore Heise wrote:

Except as I said brefore, the wheel/rim is
pretty much perfectly round.

If the tire/rim specifications are in
agreement, sounds like some wierd manufacturing
mismatch. I don't think you, or anyone else,
would make the same unidentified mistake over
and over!

Did you try another tire with the same
specification? If you then have the same
situation, maybe the specifications aren't in
agreement after all?

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573
Old September 21st 18, 07:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Theodore Heise[_2_]

On Fri, 21 Sep 2018 20:12:19 +0200,
Emanuel Berg wrote:
Theodore Heise wrote:

Except as I said brefore, the wheel/rim is pretty much
perfectly round.

If the tire/rim specifications are in agreement, sounds like
some wierd manufacturing mismatch. I don't think you, or anyone
else, would make the same unidentified mistake over and over!

Did you try another tire with the same specification? If you
then have the same situation, maybe the specifications aren't
in agreement after all?

I don't know how I would go about checking specifications, but do
intend to try one (or more) of these questionable tires on some
other rims. Unfortunately, it may be a week or more before I get
time to do so.

--
Ted Heise West Lafayette, IN, USA
Old September 21st 18, 07:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

On Wed, 19 Sep 2018 01:40:46 +0000 (UTC), Theodore Heise
wrote:

Any suggestions are welcome.

What's your rim strip? I was a long-time Velox user until just this
summer when I switched over to FSA rim strips which are much thinner.
They make more room for the beads of the tires, rsulting in easier
installation and easier seating, especially with the tighter beads on
foldable tires.
Old September 21st 18, 11:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Emanuel Berg wrote:
Theodore Heise wrote:

Except as I said brefore, the wheel/rim is pretty much
perfectly round.

If the tire/rim specifications are in agreement, sounds like
some wierd manufacturing mismatch. I don't think you, or anyone
else, would make the same unidentified mistake over and over!

Did you try another tire with the same specification? If you
then have the same situation, maybe the specifications aren't
in agreement after all?

I don't know how I would go about checking specifications, but do
intend to try one (or more) of these questionable tires on some
other rims. Unfortunately, it may be a week or more before I get
time to do so.

You might be interested in this article:
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/rim-sizing.html

I went through this not long ago, dealing with an unusual wheel and tire
size. I will say, measuring the effective diameter of the bead seat on a
rim is harder than one might think.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old September 21st 18, 11:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

wrote:

Any suggestions are welcome.

What's your rim strip? I was a long-time Velox user until just this
summer when I switched over to FSA rim strips which are much thinner.
They make more room for the beads of the tires, rsulting in easier
installation and easier seating, especially with the tighter beads on
foldable tires.

I still use 1/2" adhesive tape on a lot of rims. I started doing it the
factory original rim tape caused three flats in one day during a bike
tour, and adhesive tape was the only thing available. But it worked so
well that I've used it many times since. It is thin, and surprisingly
strong.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old September 22nd 18, 10:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Theodore Heise[_2_]

wrote:

Any suggestions are welcome.

What's your rim strip? I was a long-time Velox user until
just this summer when I switched over to FSA rim strips which
are much thinner. They make more room for the beads of the
tires, rsulting in easier installation and easier seating,
especially with the tighter beads on foldable tires.

Interesting question. The (Ritchey) wheels came with a yellow
plastic rim strip, and a year or so ago I replaced it with basic
Velox. I'm not sure I got the right width, but in any case it
seems to ride just a bit high on the edges. I can see how this
might be a contributor.

I still use 1/2" adhesive tape on a lot of rims. I started
doing it the factory original rim tape caused three flats in
one day during a bike tour, and adhesive tape was the only
thing available. But it worked so well that I've used it many
times since. It is thin, and surprisingly strong.

Interesting thought. I'll file this one away for consideration
in the future.

--
Ted Heise West Lafayette, IN, USA
Old September 22nd 18, 10:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Theodore Heise[_2_]

Emanuel Berg wrote:
Theodore Heise wrote:

[...]

Marked for future reading. I'll check all this out as soon as I
get a bit of spare time--maybe next weekend.

Thanks all for the suggestions!

--
Ted Heise West Lafayette, IN, USA
Old September 23rd 18, 03:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:

[...]

Mystery solved.

Your tire's inner diameter at the bead is the same size as
your rim at the painted line he
http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfr...st/rimpins.jpg

Any occlusion such as a fat rim liner can (and in your case
probably did) wreck that very precise fit.

Sadly, many infamous brands/models of rim have an inadequate
difference between the center well depth and the bead seat
diameter, making tire changes painfully difficult. More,
some have large badly placed nipple holes so close to the
bead seat that covering them is virtually impossible without
covering the tire seat area. With luck, yours is not among them.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/