Some potential changes to bike laws in Illinois

Old February 12th 07, 08:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
Kristian M Zoerhoff

Default Some potential changes to bike laws in Illinois

Looks like the "3-foot rule" is sweeping the nation. I was
checking on another pending bill this morning, and found 3
changes pending for bicycles in the Vehicle Code (Illinois
senate bill SB0080):

1. The operator of a motor vehicle overtaking a bicycle or
individual proceeding in the same direction on a highway shall
leave a safe distance, but not less than 3 feet, when passing
the bicycle or individual and shall maintain that distance
until safely past the overtaken bicycle or individual.

2. Right turns would be allwoed to use the right arm fully
extended, not just the left arm truned upwards. This is just
a reflection of the reality of what cyclists are doing now.

3. The lane positioning rule would be amended to specifically
read "...as close as practicable *and safe* to the
right-hand curb or edge". I don't really see this as much
of a change, but I've never been narked at by a cop for
taking my lane, either.

4. Cyclists would also be allowed to move leftward "When
approaching a place where a right turn is authorized" -- IOW,
to prevent being hooked. I'm not sure I see the need for this
specific exemption, as I'd rather just be given full rights
to ride in the safest manner I can.

Hmm, I see my state senator is a co-sponsor. Might be time to
bend his ear.

--

__o Kristian Zoerhoff
_'\(,_
Old February 25th 07, 07:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
Sticky Wicket

On 12/2/07 12:30 PM, in article
, "Kristian M Zoerhoff"
wrote:

Looks like the "3-foot rule" is sweeping the nation. I was
checking on another pending bill this morning, and found 3
changes pending for bicycles in the Vehicle Code (Illinois
senate bill SB0080):

1. The operator of a motor vehicle overtaking a bicycle or
individual proceeding in the same direction on a highway shall
leave a safe distance, but not less than 3 feet, when passing
the bicycle or individual and shall maintain that distance
until safely past the overtaken bicycle or individual.

Never hurts.

2. Right turns would be allwoed to use the right arm fully
extended, not just the left arm truned upwards. This is just
a reflection of the reality of what cyclists are doing now.

I think that even without this change one could argue that the right arm
signal followed the spirit of the the law, i.e., the point to the law is to
indicate your turn, as most vehicle operators don't seem to know what the
left arm means, only the right arm signal follows the spirit of the law. The
other advantage of the right are signal is that it discourages idiots from
passing you on the right when you are slowing to make a right turn.

3. The lane positioning rule would be amended to specifically
read "...as close as practicable *and safe* to the
right-hand curb or edge". I don't really see this as much
of a change, but I've never been narked at by a cop for
taking my lane, either.

'Practicable' has never meant unsafely, but remember it is 'practice-able',
doable, not 'practical', i.e., as far to the right as possible without being
unsafe. Good luck in convincing a driver-police officer or a driver-judge
that curb hugging, as far away from automobiles as possible, isn't safe.
Cops usually can't be bothered giving tickets to cyclists, they don't give
them to cyclists riding at night without lights, against traffic, or on the
sidewalk (if that is illegal). That doesn't mean that in court not
curb-hugging would not count against you.

4. Cyclists would also be allowed to move leftward "When
approaching a place where a right turn is authorized" -- IOW,
to prevent being hooked. I'm not sure I see the need for this
specific exemption, as I'd rather just be given full rights
to ride in the safest manner I can.

I think that this is good and should be supported. Remember that for the
overwhelming majority of legal officials, drivers, and cyclists,
curb-hugging at all times is the safest manner of cycling.

Sticky

Pa Bike Laws. Tom The Great Mountain Biking 2 May 3rd 06 09:38 AM
Japan Bike Parking Laws John Australia 4 April 9th 06 02:29 AM
Any potential for damage to a bike by riding in front on the bus rack? [email protected] General 7 October 17th 05 01:22 AM
NYC Bike Laws (was: Stand UP! for TIME'S UP! -- and for YOUR Freedoms) Jym Dyer Social Issues 0 April 30th 05 03:06 PM
Potential new bike, Foes FXR, the good the bad the ugly Bruce Edge Mountain Biking 13 August 28th 04 05:12 PM